Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 3:23 PM
Default Purpose of a tie
This is a completely random thought but what is the practical reason for a tie. Generally we wear clothes to protect us from the environment or keep clothes on our body (belts). So why ties or bow ties
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 4:48 PM
Practical reason? There is probably none, I guess, but I think that it developed out of a scarf that was worn tied around the neck to keep your neck warm and protect the collar of a shirt. Collars were quite expensive. But basically the tie has always been an accessory for decorative purposes.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 8:43 PM
... which makes it nearly the only item of men's clothing that is entirely decorative rather than functional. Perhaps that's why it's very hard to choose a tie for someone else. It's the only such choice they get to make, so they really want to do it themselves.
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 9:06 PM
To me, I'd imagine a tie was used to hide the buttons on a dress shirt, so that it looks like the dress shirt has less openings. I'd find a pocket square to be much more decorative, since you can't really blow your nose on it without it looking disgusting, lol.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Instructor
#5 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 10:12 PM
Ties were invented to keep early jackets closed. They stayed in-style because they are were found to be attractive.
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 2:47 AM
To not look like some piss-elegant pleb playing grown up.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Theorist
#7 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 3:10 AM
For yanking.
Instructor
#8 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 5:20 AM
Well considering nobody seems to like the real answer I gave, here are some other uses for ties:

1) Makeshift bandage.
2) Makeshift bondage. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
3) Skipping rope.
Alchemist
#9 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 2:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
Well considering nobody seems to like the real answer I gave, here are some other uses for ties:

1) Makeshift bandage.
2) Makeshift bondage. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
3) Skipping rope.

4) Makeshift noose.

ehm..

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#10 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 4:22 PM
To make me look cool. Honestly I have not left the house without a necktie since i was 15, I don't feel like i am fully dressed without one.

I have heard it's history explained two ways and it seems there is a lot of debate about which story is true, the one is that it was used to keep jackets closed before most people had the money to pay for buttons, the other is that it start out as a fashionable bib that the Dutch wore in order to keep their shirts clean while eating and it caught on as a fashion item in the rest of Europe. Honestly I have no idea which story is true or if there are more theories out there, I just know I wear one.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Theorist
#11 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 6:11 AM
You don't need a tie to be cool.

I only wear a tie in special circumstances, like gala's or weddings. Basically, just once for a gala after my graduation on my high school, when I was 18. That one wedding I visited, was of a cousin, while I was a preteen. An age a suit and tie isn't obligated. My own marriage is unlikely to happen, I have no friends and family probably won't marry.

More times isn't advised, as I would strangle myself by accident. The same reason I don't wear shawls.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 4:05 AM
I would just like to point out that @pikeman101 is a Space Pony. Dressing up for the occasion isn't required, but if you have a nice necktie, no one in this thread would probably mind.
Theorist
#13 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 3:39 PM
So day traders can hang themselves if they lose everything.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#14 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
I would just like to point out that @pikeman101 is a Space Pony. Dressing up for the occasion isn't required, but if you have a nice necktie, no one in this thread would probably mind.

...what?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 7:56 PM
Well you were, but you've posted again so now you're an Instructor.
Instructor
#16 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well you were, but you've posted again so now you're an Instructor.

I still don't understand...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 7:07 PM
Don't worry- it's your title (beneath your avatar), you achieved Space Pony but are now an Instructor. It's based on post count and Space Pony is rare because it only lasts for about two posts.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 20th Nov 2016 at 6:48 AM
So men can dress manly but still wear something in a colour that makes their eyes pop.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Instructor
#19 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Don't worry- it's your title (beneath your avatar), you achieved Space Pony but are now an Instructor. It's based on post count and Space Pony is rare because it only lasts for about two posts.

Odd... I've been posting on this site for years.