Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 5:42 PM
Default My sims will not walk over my arched bridge!
I made a bridge on my sims' new lot, guided by this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eK5gznR56A

However, my sims refuse to use it! I even made a pond that extends the whole of the lot, preventing the sims any other route other than the bridge, but they will still walk all the way around it (onto the non-lot part of the neighbourhood.)

I know that they can use it, I've had them walk onto it and then off it, they just won't use it by default.

Is there anything I can do to make them use it by default?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 5:55 PM
You need to fence in or totally block any other way to what is on the other side of the bridge.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 1:11 PM
This is part of the known routing issue/failure in Sims 3. They tend to take the shortest route from point A to point B.
As romagi mentioned, if you wish to force them to use the bridge, block any other available paths. Moving to Building
as this is NOT a Game Help Issue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 5:25 PM
Alright, sorry.
And I tried making a moat, but now they just stand there, they won't go across. :/
Scholar
#5 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 10:08 PM
Are your sims able to use the stairs? Did you change the height of the landscape in front of the stairs?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 2:09 AM
Yeah, they can get onto the bridge just fine, they just won't cross it...
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 11:44 AM
Though this is a thread posted long ago I think I know what happened. It seems to be the same odd and weird feature as with the stackable stairs. They have to be placed in a special direction of the lot (you have to try before) - one direction works the other won't. I bet if you would build the very same bridge on the same lot turned by a 90° angle they would use it. No solution as far as I know. I hoped that EA would fix this with NL but as far as I see they didn't. Bad times for builder, if you ask me. It's getting more complicated with every EP. I admire you though - never got such perfect clicks (as shown in your video) since EA changed their wonderful 1-click=1-raise-feature. I miss it so badly!
dodgy builder
#8 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 12:02 PM
I miss that click thingi too, was very important for builders. The bridge on the other hand, I have made both from the mailbox to the inside of the lot, and parallell to the mailbox/road, no problem.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsjeanie
Though this is a thread posted long ago I think I know what happened. It seems to be the same odd and weird feature as with the stackable stairs. They have to be placed in a special direction of the lot (you have to try before) - one direction works the other won't.

That only applies if you are actually stacking the stairs- so if you have one staircase directly above another. It's based on the axis of the world as opposed to the lot, so a house built that way will work on some lots but not on others.

It does not apply for individual staircases as used on the bridge inthe video. The routing problems there are more likely to be due to the bridge paving being too steep than the stairs. StripyWitch also said the the sims can get onto the bridge okay, implying that they can use the stairs.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:57 PM
Wasn't there some trick to doing single clicks, but you have to have a particular programmable gamepad? It might be worth it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#11 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 4:39 PM
Inge Jones: yes I remember that, but it's probably costing me money. Don't remember who wrote and tried it though. Know it was a regular poster and builder.