Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2012 at 8:22 PM Last edited by AdamantEve : 22nd Mar 2012 at 8:45 PM.
Default Oh hey! I managed to figure out a kickass fountain effect with CFE. :)
Step 1. Build a foundation

Step 2. Build a fountain ON the foundation.

Step 3. Build a fountain AROUND the foundation (at least two tiles wide).

Step 4. Turn on CFE (False)
Step 5. Delete the fountain on the foundation using the demolish tool.

The result is a full wall-height podium in the center of the fountain, with a flat surface and no CFE-related distortions whatsoever!

Unfortunately if you do it in another part of the lot you can mess up the water level, making that weird water-slope distortion you'd get in Sims 2 when CFE-ing pools. It doesn't work with cornered fountains, either (fountains on foundations that have corners instead of just being squares It's also too bad there's no way to get a wall/ground tile to do this without having a fountain next to it. It'd be really nice for making lots to have flat, sheer, wallpaper-able walls with no slopes.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 1:51 AM
Can you expand that whole construction? If you can, it might have implications for walk in basements...

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...hlight=basement

which would look cool underneath a milehigh

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 2:18 AM
The flat wall is only available with a fountain on the outside of it. So I don't think it could be used like that at all.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 2:42 AM
The part I find intriguing is the terrain inside the foundation being level with the top of the foundation. That's a situation the game engine usually doesn't tolerate well. If you can plunk down a basement inside the foundation...it would be..interesting.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 3:25 AM
I dont understand what you are trying to say. There is no foundation in the finished product, at all.
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 3:42 AM
Unless you mean putting a basement in the "podium" in the center, and then connecting it to the area outside the fountain, which would not be possible. Separate floors cannot connect in that way (the basement first floor would be at two different levels, if you put one inside and one outside the fountain area).
Field Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:02 AM
Yeah, maybe I'm walking a dead dog ...I'll play with it a bit tomorrow to make sure.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 3:39 PM
It's like building a first floor on two separate levels of land- you just plain can't connect them. Sometimes you can get a staircase between the two, but in that case your sim is still on the second floor the whole time. I can't imagine it being possible at all to connect two basements that way.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 7:30 PM
The effect you describe there is fricking annoying

I made a nice 4 level fountain once with lots of water effects. I will probably never do it again. Too much work, or I'm too lazy.

Sorry about the quality. I'll just link to the playlist .

Research video
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 9:07 PM
I'd like to build a UFO home, using a floating home as the mothership and a raised basement as a landing/control pad...it would fit in well with the world I'm building now. Could place a teleporter in the floating section for access. I did see a U.S.S. Enterprise home, but it was on the ground.

Yeah, the fountain trick didn't yield up anything I can't do through other methods as it pertains to basements. It's more a matter of connecting the basement level with the ground level cleanly...which has been done. Just looking at alternatives.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
dodgy builder
#11 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:34 PM
Then you should check out whoden's site here. He makes such thing.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Then you should check out whoden's site here. He makes such thing.

Yes...I see he has some good ideas. I'm not sure whether to go the floating house route or War of the Worlds. I could probably get away with either as I'm building a 'dream state' fantasy world..

After all this fountain talk, I added a floating fountain built on Friezes...still in the preliminary phases, though.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό