Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 5:27 PM Last edited by Charity : 10th Dec 2013 at 2:26 PM.
Default GUID problems
I cloned a Maxis object in SimPE and used the Custom Interaction Tutorial to add stuff to it. Everything seemed to be okay except it now overwrote the original Maxis object in buy mode.

I used the 'how to find if you have a conflicting GUID' on the wiki and found that, yes, it still had the same GUID as the original. So, if cloning an object with the Object Workshop doesn't give it a new GUID then how do you give it a new GUID?

Also, when I ran the conflicting GUIDs check I expected to only get the one item showing up, but a whole heap of my CC showed as having conflicting GUIDS. I haven't had any problems with any of it, so I'm wondering how to tell why it showed up and if it needs fixing.

Finally, I used the recolouring objects tutorial to recolour the communal shower and the recolour doesn't show up in game, despite following all the steps. Did I need to give the recolour a separate GUID?

If anyone can help me or direct me to a GUID tutorial then thank you.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 6:08 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 15th Sep 2013 at 6:19 PM.
You need to assign your new object a new, unique GUID. To do this, you need to register for a block of GUIDs. Yes, there is a tutorial telling you how to do this.

As for the duplicate GUIDs- if you have certain mods/hacks (like overrides)SimPE will show duplicate GUIDs when you do a scan. Those are fine, nothing to worry about. The only duplicate GUIDs you really need to worry about are: 1) The duplicates that are a result of someone not assigning their new object a new GUID and 2) The duplicates that are a result of you having more than 1 copy of a mesh in your downloads folder. At the moment, I recommend that you don't worry about those duplicates in the scan. You can disable them and delete them, but it does take some knowledge - you need to be able to tell what each file is and if it's safe to disable or delete it. (I don't know if there's a tutorial anywhere explaining all of that or not.)

As for the recolor. Recolors don't need a new GUID. (There are exceptions, like fences. To recolor a fence you have to clone it. SimPE will give it a new GUID or you can assign it one of your own.) If you're sure that you followed the steps completely and correctly, it might be that the shower isn't included in the CEP. Since I'm not sure if that shower is or isn't recolorable/included in the CEP I'll shush about that and let someone else help you with that.

Edit: RE Duplicate GUIDs- you can scan your downloads folder with Clean Installer. Any true duplicates will be highlighted in pink and you can remove those right there in Clean Installer. That might remove meshes that are overriding game meshes (due to the creator not assigning a new GUID) too.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 2:13 PM
Thanks! That solves most of my problems.

I don't know what the problem with the shower is. I've redone it several times. Guess I'll have to consider it not recolourable.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 11:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Edit: RE Duplicate GUIDs- you can scan your downloads folder with Clean Installer. Any true duplicates will be highlighted in pink and you can remove those right there in Clean Installer. That might remove meshes that are overriding game meshes (due to the creator not assigning a new GUID) too.

The Clean Installer brings up duplicate MD5 in pink. So, is that the same as GUID and anything it doesn't bring up is safe?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 5:15 PM
Ok, is there any way to tell if the stuff brought up by the GUID scanner is meant to have the same GUID or not? And if it isn't, then is it as easy as assigning the item a new GUID or not?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Dec 2013 at 1:32 PM
Marked as solved because everything seems to be working.

Edit: Not actually marked as solved because I can't edit the first post. *facepalm*
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 2:26 PM Last edited by leefish : 10th Dec 2013 at 3:26 PM. Reason: test
Now marked as closed. XD