Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:11 AM
Polygon Count? Working on something now, and I'm stuck!!!
I know that I'm supposed to add up the faces on some items, but am confused what all needs to be added up. So if I am doing a recolor of an ea painting, do I add the faces from both the high detail AND the low level? And that will get my poly count, assuming the painting only uses one tile. Am I correct?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:16 AM
Just open up the S3ObjTool and click on the MODL/MLOD Info button and navigate to your MLOD. The tool will total up the vertices and faces for you on the right hand side.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:22 AM
I am so new at meshing, that I am almost afraid to ask about an MLOD. I downloaded the tool, but seems I have no idea what type of file to look for.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:32 AM
Okay, so on high level its listed as having 792 faces and on low it has only 32. Adding these together gives me 824. Would that be my poly count for the object? 824?
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:33 AM
I apologize...I didn't know exactly what you were looking for information on.

If all you are doing is recoloring an EA painting, that is, all you're doing is replacing the IMG dds files, then you really don't need a count of the vertices and faces...yours will be the same as the original EA item which should be fine in the game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:36 AM
Oh. Well I got a "Changes Required" on a submission, and the moderator requested a poly count. I wanted to make sure I had everything in order, because I worked on this for the past 3 days.

Thanks you for helping me out. I am so lost when I do uploads, but I eventually will get it.
Alchemist
#7 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:36 AM
I usually just give the S3ObjTool's total for the MLOD alone...that would be the high level one that has a shadow.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:41 AM
Oh, okay! Then that would give me a poly count of 792. I'm sure if it isn't right, I will be told. The mods getting my submission know more about it than even I do, I am sure!
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 4:51 PM
You can also get the poly count from MilkShape by using the Show Model Statistics items in the Tools menu. The item marked Triangles is the relevant polygon count.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 1:06 AM
This is true, of course, Wes. But for people who are doing recolors of EA paintings the object, most likely, never gets to MS. It doesn't get to the ObjTool either but using the ObjTool is a couple steps less than decompiling and importing into MS. It's probably a lot easier for the recolorist to deal with too since your tool has three easy buttons to pick from instead of all the many buttons in MS So, for this particular application, and this particular creator knowledge-base I'd say stick with the ObjTool...less headache all the way around