Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
Discussion: Packaging Lots
So, I've been building a lot of lots for the game recently, and I've also been downloading new custom patterns. Unfortunately, it seems that custom textures/patterns added to the game do not show up with a symbol that denotes them as custom content. If I use them in a lot I have uploaded, will the pattern be included with the packaged lot?

If something bad (perhaps flashing blue areas, crashing, or a reset to default textures) does happen, how can we prevent it, since there is no way to distinguish new textures from the textures that came with the game? Is building a shareable, clean lot only possible after removing all downloads?

Has anyone tested this yet? If no one has yet, and if you would like to help, please pm me so we can find out.

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 12:08 AM
I tested this a little bit with one of my lots. I used some of HP's patterns in the lot, packaged it up, quit my game, installed the lot, removed all the custom patterns from my Mods folder, and booted up the game. When I placed the lot and looked at it in Buy/Build mode, it didn't have any of HP's patterns, just blank walls. Nothing appeared to be flashing or otherwise unstable. Since I wanted to share the lot at MTS and didn't want downloaders without HP's patterns to end up with blank walls, I just put original content patterns on those particular walls and repackaged the lot again.

It is unfortunate that custom patterns don't show up with the custom content symbol. It seems like all we can do at this point is memorize which patterns are custom and not use them, or do what I did and test the lot for blank walls before you share it. :-/
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 7:01 AM
CC is not packaged it sim3packs. You must add it in your zip and downloaders must install it to see the lot

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by patul
CC is not packaged it sim3packs. You must add it in your zip and downloaders must install it to see the lot

Or better yet, link to the content so folks can download it themselves. Content found here should be linked so as not to create duplicate uploads. Off site content can be added, IF the creator allows redistribution. If they don't allow redistribution, it will have to be linked.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 10:55 AM
I have noticed that site using TSR's tool, it shows in buy/build mode with the plumbob to show it's custom content. Also if you upload a lot with patterns that use that tool, the pattern is included in the lot for the downloader. I have downloaded lots that have such patterns and noticed the pattern was in the CAS tool without me downloading it.

Just an observation.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:42 PM
That is good to know lewisb40. Thank you for the information!

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 5:49 PM
I also noticed patterns that were made with the TSR thingy had the plumbob on it. However, how the heck am I supposed to know where I downloaded these patterns from? There's nothing in-game to indicate where they came from. Any tips? I'd like to include some patterns in some of my lots but I have nooooo idea where I found them.
Scholar
#8 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 3:22 PM
This has probably been asked before, but...Does this apply to items from the EA Store also?

Do we need to include in the rar or are they packaged with the lot?
Instructor
#9 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
This has probably been asked before, but...Does this apply to items from the EA Store also?

Do we need to include in the rar or are they packaged with the lot?

Items from Store are not included in the Sims3Package but replaced with "standard" items....
Scholar
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 3:18 PM
Thank You!