Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 4:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Custom Majors Overriding Originals On Computers But Have Unique GUIDs
I've been having an issue with custom majors in game, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to shed some light on the situation for me.

I only have four custom majors in my game (made by 3 different modders too), and all of them have their own GUID and should not override the default ingame ones - the modders say as much in the description, and that you must have FrikaC's Majors Made Easier mod to use them, which I do. I've also used the GUID scanner in SimPE and they don't show up as having a conflict. Nobody else has commented on these mods with any problems. However, in my game, these majors do override the orginals on the computer - not the icon, just the name. The strangest part is that it only occurs sometimes.. I sent a group of students to uni in my main save and went to declare their majors on the computer, when I realised the originals had been overridden. I thought maybe something else was conflicting with them so I turned off the game, generated a new game folder and put only the custom majors in the Downloads folder - and the originals were no longer overridden. So I went back out of the game and figured I may have to do the 50/50, but first I turned on the game once more in my current save (i.e. with all downloads again in my main hood) and, somehow, the originals were no longer being overridden. And stranger still, when I turned the game on today, the custom majors were back overriding them. I just repeated this little experiment again, to make sure I wasn't imagining things, and got the same results. What would cause majors to be overridden randomly like this? Literally the only change made was going from windowed mode to full screen. Oh, and I should mention that I have the same results on both Maxis and custom computers.

Also, I think this might be related. I have degrees from two sims who got a "Bachelor in Undeclared" (while all other degrees display the correct major, but only the default game ones) and I don't think this should be possible for two reasons - 1. Philosophy is automatically chosen if you don't declare by the end of junior year and 2. I have never left a sim undeclared. I think I had these two sims declare a custom major and for whatever reason it doesn't recognise that on the degrees - unless this is a known problem with custom majors? I have never really used them so I'm not sure. I'm going to test this when I have time (declare custom major and check the degree after) but until then I figured I'd mention it anyways in case it's relevant.

I am seriously confused about what is going on, and there's probably something I'm overlooking here, but if anybody has any ideas about what the issue might be, I'd be very thankful.

Oh, and just in case it's revelant, the four majors are Pharmaceutical Sales + Industry, Grilled Cheese and Auto Mechanics, all found on MTS, and I'm running The Sims 2:UC. Nobody else has reported this issue in the comments sections of the majors, but I posted this over on Leefish too and somebody there experienced a similar problem, but didn't know why. So hopefully somebody can shed some light on the issue!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 4:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Sep 2018 at 7:07 PM.
Some BHAVs call on GUIDs, so if there's a BHAV like that you may need to change the number in the BHAV also.

For the names that change, make sure it's not a language issue with the texts.

Maybe link to the ones you have issues with, so it's easier for us to figure out what's wrong?

There are a lot of people who will say "thanks" and "this is awesome" in comments without actually trying out the piece of CC in their games, and not everyone who experience issues will comment on it. Some will even be unaware of bugs happening in their game.
Scholar
#3 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 5:42 PM
Just wondering if you're using McAfee as an antivirus? It was shredding my game files and messing up a lot of custom downloads, too.

I ask because I was having the same problem you describe with the Athletics major, and was also having Sims kicked out of custom jobs an hour or two after they got to work, then getting "Sim didn't show up" messages. I haven't tried either the custom major or a custom career since I ditched McAfee and reinstalled a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know if it's relevant or not.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:11 PM
Simmer22, would the modders who created the majors, and everybody who downloaded them, not experience this too then, if it was related to the BHAV? A few people specifically commented saying they couldn't find the majors (so they had played with them, and didn't have MajorsMadeEasier) meaning that it didn't override for them either. I'm confused as to why it only happens to some people, but not others, such as the creators of the mod. If it was to do with the BHAV, to me that would imply it would be the same for everyone as we all have the same file? Just trying to understand is it some specific configuration I have or something. I don't think it is a language issue, as I think the creators used the English version too. Here are the links to the majors:
Pharmaceutical Sales Major
Pharmaceutical Industry Major
Auto Mechanics Major
Grilled Cheese Major
Thanks for the reply!

BlueAlien, no I use ESET for my antivirus, though I have seen some mention recently of them causing problems with the game so it's probably no harm to disable it while playing anyway. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:55 PM
I don't know. Personally I don't use or make custom majors (or careers, or similar), so I'm not familiar with ohw they're made. I just know the BHAV issue from another type of CC.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheDarkLady
Simmer22, would the modders who created the majors, and everybody who downloaded them, not experience this too then, if it was related to the BHAV? A few people specifically commented saying they couldn't find the majors (so they had played with them, and didn't have MajorsMadeEasier) meaning that it didn't override for them either. I'm confused as to why it only happens to some people, but not others, such as the creators of the mod. If it was to do with the BHAV, to me that would imply it would be the same for everyone as we all have the same file? Just trying to understand is it some specific configuration I have or something. I don't think it is a language issue, as I think the creators used the English version too. Here are the links to the majors:
Pharmaceutical Sales Major
Pharmaceutical Industry Major
Auto Mechanics Major
Grilled Cheese Major
Thanks for the reply!

BlueAlien, no I use ESET for my antivirus, though I have seen some mention recently of them causing problems with the game so it's probably no harm to disable it while playing anyway. Thanks!

I have used the Pharmaceutical Sales Major and the Pharmaceutical Industry Major and I had the Pharmaceutical Sales Major overide the the Psychology Major. Umm by overrode I mean that when you look at the Majors on the Computer you see the Pharmaceutical Sales Major at least sometimes and other times you would see Psychology, mostly you would see the Pharmaceutical Sales Major. I don't know if the Pharmaceutical Industry Major would do the same as I always had both installed at the same time.

Is that the issue you are referring to?

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 11:44 PM
Yep, that's exactly what happens. Is that a known issue with custom majors? From the way the creators present them, they make it seem like that shouldn't happen, and I'd prefer if it didn't, but if it's a common problem I'll deal with it.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheDarkLady
Yep, that's exactly what happens. Is that a known issue with custom majors? From the way the creators present them, they make it seem like that shouldn't happen, and I'd prefer if it didn't, but if it's a common problem I'll deal with it.

Well I don't really know how common it is, but the Irish Folklore College Major http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=493802 did the same thing to me, it replaced the Philosophy major, if my memory is correct.

I am going to guess and say that it is a common problem.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 5:21 PM
I don't have any custom majors in my game at present, but I played with them a fair amount in the past, and I don't ever remember seeing this problem.

Maybe @lordtyger9 and @TheDarkLady you both have a mod in your game that is conflicting Majors Made Easier? Have you tried the HCDU?
Scholar
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 5:40 PM
Athletics overrides History, IIRC.

HCDU shows zero conflicts.