Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 4:31 AM
Default Milkshape 3D question?
Having some trouble. When I try to import a GEOM file it tells me it can not locate the bones. I am using a clothing file I exported from TSR and then extracted the package into a folder. There are 3 GEOM files and also 3 Bone files.

How do I get Milkshape 3D to find the Bone files?

I'm using,

Windows 7 64bit.
Milkshape 3D v1.8.5 (Registered to me) with all the plugins for Sims3 installed.

Thanks Tim
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 6:29 AM
You can simply click the OK button and your mesh will load with a default skeleton that is included in the GEOM importer.
With sims 2 the skeleton was part of the meshfile and needed to be included, sims 3 meshes only contain a link to it.(Last TGI reference in the comments)

Edit,
This should work with exported GEOMs from a package, not sure if GEOMs exported straight from Workshop will keep its bonesettings tho.
The last time i used workshop you only had the option to export the meshes as a obj file, wich doesn't support bones...
Open your package with Postal or S3PE and export the meshes from there if thats the case.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
This should work with exported GEOMs from a package, not sure if GEOMs exported straight from Workshop will keep its bonesettings tho.
The last time i used workshop you only had the option to export the meshes as a obj file, wich doesn't support bones...

The current version of Workshop doesn't export .simgeom files and no longer even exports .obj files, it now only exports in its own format, .wso (you have to add a plugin to Milkshape to enable this) - it's an unnecessary annoyance and is one of the many reasons I don't use Workshop (that, and the weird unpredictable results I get with it) and use CTU instead.

@Zippy: When you first import a .simgeom into Milkshape, it will always come up with a message saying 'Unable to locate bone file. Default skeleton used.' Just ignore it and click OK, as base1980 says. You should find the bones have retained their joint assignments, if you check it using the 'Sims 2 Unimesh Bone Tool' item in the Vertex menu. (Although the plugin's name says 'Sims 2', it works with Sims 3 body meshes too.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 3:11 AM
Thanks everyone.

I didn't export the GEOM file from TSR. I created a Sims2pack file and extracted the package file from that, Then extracted the GEOM file from the finished package file using s3pe.

Thanks EsmeraldaF, I'll try that.