Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 4:46 AM
Default What I do with Servos.
Sometimes you need servos when you don't have grandparents around. After a while, I get tired of them after they've served their purpose. Some of my hoods, have "The Old Servo Home". When they're no longer needed, I send them there. It's equipped with several charging stations, arcade games, video game consoles, TV's, computers, and large lounge areas. No need for bathrooms, kitchens or bedrooms. They can tend gardens, and pursue other hobby's and interests... Even romance. It gets them out of the way, and if I need one in a different sim household, they can be moved in until not needed, then back to the home afterward. Sometimes, I'll look in on them, and play them for awhile.

I'm curious how other Simmers handle them.

Recently, I've added a small kitchen, dining room, and a toilet closet, for when they have "Smooman" company.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 5:54 AM
Either
A)Conquar the land/hood by sweeping off human from the existence
B)Be the running economy power. I get these robots be employeed or manage the business in some way.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 6:07 AM
I got the knight default replacement and used them as the sentient suits of armour in my Hogwarts. XD
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Either
A)Conquar the land/hood by sweeping off human from the existence
B)Be the running economy power. I get these robots be employeed or manage the business in some way.
That's a GREAT Idea!!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 3:24 PM Last edited by gazania : 25th Nov 2017 at 4:03 AM.
Mine are human-like androids. I use Sim PE to change them. Once the kids are out of a Sim house, many servos serve as personal assistants. Some move out and adopt Sim children of their own.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 3:34 PM
I've never played with Servo's ... still can't wrap my mind around the concept the way their existence is set up in the game. I've only gone as far as to build the small toy robot.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 4:01 PM
I had a servo in the game once, a long time ago
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 3:46 AM
I really hate the default appearance. They look so stupid. Unfortunately only my Hogwarts gets to have them because I can't find a more modern looking DR that I like.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 4:05 AM
I use the default one that looks like a doll, just in case the servo decides to switch over, which, for some reason, it does sometimes.

http://simmiscellany.blogspot.com/2...ent-servos.html

I cannot stand the Maxis servo. I know it's a camera, but the one-eyed look annoys me so much. I have no idea why.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 5:43 AM
I wish that this one was a DR, for my futuristic neighbourhood (and maybe a little less bright). http://modthesims.info/d/274391
Forum Resident
#11 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 6:17 AM
I had a servo once...I didn't play them much because I didn't really know what to do with them
but your idea for having a Servo Home is adorable and somewhat environmental and resource friendly hahaha
I also liked the idea of having a servo per family to take care of generations upon generations
Scholar
#12 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 7:14 AM
in my game they are what they are, artificial intelligence parallel to Sims own. capable of loving and being loved
my most cherished is Roberta Rossum, for nostalgia reasons. In my game she is not only the first truly artificial intelligence but also the only one known to ...ehrm... be cross compatible with simkind. Time will tell if her and Issac's children also have this impossible ability.

Post apocalypse version: kind of like SneakyWingPhoenix's Option A except that they are trying to find a way to resurrect the human race when they've gone extinct.

due to hundreds of years of suspended animation in an attempt to see their ancestors (basically like in this comic from XKCD https://xkcd.com/989/)
everybody died. How? every moment they were awake, when they left the pods, added up, eventually resulting in their demise. Numenor's Hibernation Chamber was the tool that they used to achieve hibernation. 15 mins awake between cycles (once every 30 days) living 2,190 days long on average (30 x the average length of their normal lives) comparable to living 3,000 years instead of 100. Vampires died out due to lack of prey.

however with robot human hybrids the genome is preserved without the aging decay, meaning that they might be retrievable if two or more hybrids start families.
perhaps half robot offspring might hold the last clone-able shreds of humanity

I've thought way too long about this clearly.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 7:23 AM
I haven't had a servo for some years, I am sure one day Coral Bay will have a robot maker.

I use a default by Skellington. http://skellington7d.livejournal.com/29530.html It's a pretty subtle eye change. Very Maxis match.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#14 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 2:41 PM
they are servants for their entire existence or i might start making a suburban dream servo town who kill outsiders

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 5:13 AM
I haven't had one for some time. One family in particular had one for years but then it broke down and no-one was able to fix it. I moved it out. I find them annoying after a while.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 5:47 AM
In Black Mesa there were a good number of servos, I'd even wager they made up 20% of my playable population. I don't remember much besides a couple of them getting married to each other and one spontaneously committing suicide by climbing in a pool when I wasn't paying attention. I moved one into a cottage by himself but he kept rolling wants for fridges and bathtubs.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#17 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 6:09 AM
I've never found any of the occults to be useless, it's just a matter of finding a situation which they're good for. SimWardrobe's mods for Servos are essential for me (especially the chore controller), and I have an electronics store in town that sells them at a nice markup so not everyone has to grind for that talent badge. Generally my larger, wealthier families have them, they're very useful for child rearing and looking after larger homes (and businesses) without having to hire services, and I like having them look after a family for several generations, sort of as a keeper of the flame, passing down stories and making sure each generation walks the line. It's very sweet to see them become part of a family, but their immortality means I often have them max out their skills early on, and they can become boring to play, so I sometimes simulate deterioration by turning some skills down a couple of notches and leaving them turned off in an attic for a couple of age spans.

Your idea of the old servos' home is actually a really intriguing one, I had a household with some rusty servos in an abandoned warehouse who grew and sold produce, but the thought of giving them a genuinely nice spot to rest at after having served one family and while waiting for another is great, the problem of what these machines built to help would do when they have no one to help anymore is a great premise for a sci-fi story, and I'll definitely be adding a home like that to my town in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain

my most cherished is Roberta Rossum,

I see what you did with that choice of surname, & I applaud it.

I've never actually had a servo in my game. That looks like it's about to change, since Loki Beaker recently got his gold robotics badge, but I doubt any servo he creates is going to have a pleasant life... especially given that the Beakers have been short of test subjects ever since Nervous ran off...
Test Subject
#19 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

This is exactly what I'm planning to do with servos in my new neighborhood I will have at least couple of home businesses and I probably give one servo each. Especially because those businesses will focus on farming and selling food - the farming part will really benefit from them. No more sad plants because my sims need to sleep too.

But in my previous NH I actually had only one servo, and I played her like other sims. She fell in love with a human, married him, adopted a child and of course at the end buried them both. After that she lived alone, but always kept relationships up with her grandchilds and great-grandchilds. I tried to keep things interesting by changing her career every time she reached to the top of one, and she also had a huge garden keeping her busy.

I think it was actually a beautiful story to play. There was something touching in her faith to eternally fight against loneliness.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#20 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 1:42 AM
I can honestly tell you what I did with Servo. I got RID of him all he did was make his sounds bebebebebe driving me mad, and cook Santa cookies all the time, plus he was lazy.
Be sure to keep a backup game before you place a Servo into your game incase you change your mind about having a Servo.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#21 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 10:09 PM
So far I only have the one servo in game, Victor Redwood. He was created as help with the children as the grandmother was a romance sim & more interested in making her golden years truly sparkle. His creator Sasha, had her hands full with working almost constantly & raising 4children after her husband mysteriously disappeared. She didn't have time to look for dating, but Victor won her heart over unexpectedly. They were quite happy together & he was a comfort in her later years after almost all the children had moved on with their lives. He still visits her grave site almost every day to mourn, but he is enjoying his immortal life.

Currently he is still living on the same lot he was built on & shared Sasha's life. The eldest grandchild has moved home with her husband & children. It is getting a little cramped. He has been tempted to power himself down for a generation or two, but he is loving having little ones around again.

I have considered that at some point, as my hood is aging, having Victor or another servo buy a large lot & run a retirement home for the elder sims that don't want to be forever "built in babysitters".
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I really hate the default appearance. They look so stupid. Unfortunately only my Hogwarts gets to have them because I can't find a more modern looking DR that I like.
There is a way to skin them to look "Smooman", If I can remember how, I'll post it.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 5:22 PM
That's actually a pretty nice idea. Or possibly a "Rent-A-Servo" service where sims can rent one for a weekly quota or something like that, also good for a business activity.

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 8:14 PM
I only have one in my game, I named her FemBot. It's a default replacement that looks like an android. Nervous Subject (having horrible social skills) married her and everyone in town makes fun of him because of this. I personally do not approve, but it makes a funny story line. The adoption agencies would not allow them to adopt children because they think he is crazy for marrying an android and because he lives in Olive Specter's house with a graveyard in back (rumors say there are ghosts there, not a suitable environment for children). This gave the Grim Reaper an idea. One of my sims died and her husband was able to plead for her life successfully...on one condition, that she have the Grim Reaper's child. They agreed and she gave birth to twin girls. Grim came and took them away and gave them to Nervous and FemBot. So now they are happily raising the girls, who are quite pretty with their pale skin and black hair.
Scholar
#25 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 8:52 PM
I had one in my game once. SimHampton law prohibits anyone treating a Servo as their property, even if they made it - they have to be treated as housemates with equal rights to their makers, or else make their own way in the world like any Sim adult. However, the day after Servo was created (during which time, it did some babysitting and got a job in business), the game had to be reinstalled. I haven't managed to get a Sim to gold badge in robotics since.
Page 1 of 2