Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#76 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 9:58 AM
About 4.29GB funny I thought it would be more.
Nope not a chance of sorting it out even if I wanted to.

At least most things are in vaguely appropriately named folders like Important mods, New folder (4), 0C1FE246-Mesh Overlay XML and Extras.
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 10:22 AM
well considering i find making my bed hard there is no way in hell i'm cleaning up my downloads folder;the game takes like 10 minutes to load!

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#78 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 10:41 AM
This thread makes me feel guilty. XD
Mad Poster
#79 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 11:07 AM
I always plan to organize my Downloads folder. I just never get around to actually doing it.
Theorist
#80 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 8:42 PM
I plan to organize my DL folder.
Will I do it? That's another question.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 12:57 AM
I thought I was getting too much cc, but I recently checked for the first time and it is barely at 0.7GB. Apparently lots of people have waaaaaay more than that!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#82 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 1:20 AM
I doubt I could play at under 8 Gigs...

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#83 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 2:15 AM
Mine is meticulously organized and cleaned, renamed, cataloged, and backed up on an external drive. I spend a lot of time on it - it's amazingly calming to rename a bunch of stupid computer files. I have almost 45,000 files currently in use, 7.15 GB, some of which I'll take out after I finish taking some shots. I know what I have and where it all is and the only thing that frustrates me is floors. As soon as I remove one, I'll visit a lot where I used it.
Mad Poster
#84 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 3:25 AM
You have more files than I do and they still take up less space. I currently have just under 30,000 files which total about 10 GB.

It's been hot and sticky here this weekend, which made me even less eager to clean the house, so I spent most of it reorganizing my Downloads folder. I did manage to flatten the tree a bit and get things mostly sorted into what are hopefully more sensible categories. I didn't realize how much stuff I had until I had to sort through it all (how did I end up with 205 hair meshes???

I still have to rename about 2500 files and I've probably screwed up the load order on some mods, but I think I've finally accomplished something.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 5:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
You have more files than I do and they still take up less space. I currently have just under 30,000 files which total about 10 GB.
I compress everything. When I started, I had about 47000 files and close to 14 GB, and lots of crashes. Once I started to get the size to shrink it was pretty cool to keep going. I'm at my floor now unless I give up stuff I want to keep. And I know what you mean about house cleaning. I'd much rather organize files than vacuum mop do laundry mow grass any and all of it.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 2:25 PM
I don't have this problem because I put new CC in a kind of quarantine folder before it's properly put in the correct folder. And before that, I check it in Bodyshop or in the game, look at what I really want, then make sure it's labeled clearly, has a proper and informative filename, is in the right categories, has a price that makes sense to me, has the right depreciation values, has the appropriate effects on needs (expensive chairs should give a lot of comfort), has the correct catalog descriptions, goes in the right quantities on OfB shelves, is a proper decorative object that does not get in the way of sims eating on the table, is usable by pets if possible, has the correct shoe/floor/surface sounds, is townified if I want it to show on townies, whatever is appropriate for the CC I'm adding. Then it goes in the Compressorizer if it needs to, then it goes out of quarantine.
So I don't really have anything in my game I don't want to and if I want to remove it, it's really easy to do.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#87 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jain
Mine is meticulously organized and cleaned, renamed, cataloged, and backed up on an external drive. I spend a lot of time on it - it's amazingly calming to rename a bunch of stupid computer files. I have almost 45,000 files currently in use, 7.15 GB, some of which I'll take out after I finish taking some shots. I know what I have and where it all is and the only thing that frustrates me is floors. As soon as I remove one, I'll visit a lot where I used it.

Oh d'you know, I do that too - when I can't think of anything I particularly want to do or I can't decide, I settle down to a good night's sorting.I spend hours perfecting my file system.

Ridiculous isn't it?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#88 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
I don't have this problem because I put new CC in a kind of quarantine folder before it's properly put in the correct folder. And before that, I check it in Bodyshop or in the game, look at what I really want, then make sure it's labeled clearly, has a proper and informative filename, is in the right categories, has a price that makes sense to me, has the right depreciation values, has the appropriate effects on needs (expensive chairs should give a lot of comfort), has the correct catalog descriptions, goes in the right quantities on OfB shelves, is a proper decorative object that does not get in the way of sims eating on the table, is usable by pets if possible, has the correct shoe/floor/surface sounds, is townified if I want it to show on townies, whatever is appropriate for the CC I'm adding.

Wow, you are super organised.

I just backup my hoods, plonk the CC in-game and play.
Mad Poster
#89 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
I don't have this problem because I put new CC in a kind of quarantine folder before it's properly put in the correct folder.

I do something similar, sorted by the month I put them in my game. In my case it didn't help much. As part of my cleanup, I had to go through my "new" downloads dated as far back as December. Setups like that only work if I pay attention to them and keep up with them and I'm not good at that, which is how my Downloads folder got in such a mess in the first place. (Also my real life house)
Forum Resident
#90 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:59 AM
I have 1.19GB, and I’ve just cleaned up in it since my game needed to be reinstalled since Virus

Anyway, I’ve sorted mine into
Hair
Clothes
Skin
Eyes
Makeup
Built
And mods
Then i’m Sure it’s all there

I build small houses *^*
Forum Resident
#91 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 5:11 PM
I've sorted mine into folders and parent folders.
1: sim manipulator
2: inteen
3: defaults
  • makeup and eyebrows
  • hair
  • clothes
  • genetic stuff
4: my created cc
5:mods
  • careers
6: cc
  • nhood deco
  • bodyshop
    ↳ genetic stuff
    ↳ eyebrows and makeup
    ↳ clothes
    ↳ wrinkles and details
  • build and buy
Scholar
#92 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:52 PM
Before I'd sorted through my folder, I'd basically add a new folder with the date or a random word and shove in my latest download spree. That was basically it. I did manage to cut my downloads folder ecently to 2 ish GB but I still have another zip folder that like 5GB to sort through and I really don't want to do that. I kind of want to just get rid of (almost) everything and start again, but that's also effort because there ae some things I can't live without and I don't know what they're called so I won't be able to find them because there are so many folders and sub folders within sub folders that its not even funny. On the plus side loading only 2 gigs takes much less time than 8, which is nice.
Field Researcher
#93 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Wow, you are super organised.

I just backup my hoods, plonk the CC in-game and play.

When it comes to my computer, yes. In real life I'm told my dressers and cabinets are quite organised too. Outside of that, not so much I'm afraid! I'm actually pretty bad about making back-ups, now that I think about it.

Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I do something similar, sorted by the month I put them in my game. In my case it didn't help much. As part of my cleanup, I had to go through my "new" downloads dated as far back as December. Setups like that only work if I pay attention to them and keep up with them and I'm not good at that, which is how my Downloads folder got in such a mess in the first place. (Also my real life house)

I prevent that by taking out the stuff in the quarantine folder to a copy of the folder outside of the game files when I want to actually play the game so I can't use the stuff before I fixed what needs fixing. Then I just take my time doing whatever I want to do. In fact, I have some folders with stuff I don't want to fix and add to the game just yet because I lost the motivation to do so, but eventually I will get around to it or just delete the files.
Alchemist
#94 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 3:08 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 22nd Jun 2018 at 3:44 PM.
My downloads folder is a bit under 1 GB. I have years and years and many GB worth of chaotic downloads that I will probably never sort on an external drive, just in case I should ever want something there and all the Sim tools are there, too, that I use all the time. I can see why people have a lot more, though, when I read about everyone's hoods. Some people have vastly different hoods set up and would need lots of different CC to run them. My hoods are all pretty similar in that respect.

I keep the Downloads folder pretty trim putting new stuff in the New Folder until I know it works ok. I only put stuff in there that I'm actually playing with for the most part. So they are organized by how I play, which doesn't work all that well, really, but I can't seem to get away from it. So, there's folders like Camping, Gardening, Zombies.... whatever I'm into at the time. I delete jpg, txt, rar, zip, etc., and I check now and then for duplicates because my system isn't foolproof.

I just timed the game loading, it loads in 54 seconds from double clicking the icon (then click to avoid movie) to Choose a Neighborhood. But, one thing I did just last night seems to have made a big difference today. I finally took out almost all the Maxis lots from the lot bin and put them in a hood called Real Estate. The game seems to load even faster and the lot tab definitely does. It was lagging pretty badly before.
Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:08 AM
Cleaned my cc/mod folder recently in the sense that I checked for doubles with CC cleaner (luckily there werent any) and I renamed most of them to get rid of the unsupported characters. It's less than 1GB of data, so it really wasnt anything special. I don't think I need more mods and CC (said no one ever). When I hear that people have 25GB of data in there, my head somehow blows up.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 4:31 AM
I've been renaming and merging package files to reduce the number of files in my download folder. I've linked to it a few times, but here's the tutorial again. Don't forget to re-Compressorize the files when you're done!

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#97 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 8:35 PM Last edited by monijt1 : 17th Jul 2018 at 8:58 PM.
Welp, I gave in. I couldn't take my game crashing while shopping for clothes anymore. Right now, I'm cleaning out my downloads folder. I got the big problems (hair and clothes) out of the way. All that left is my hacks folder. ETA: I forgot I have to do my Build & Buy folders as well.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Scholar
#98 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 2:23 AM
My download folder cleans itself. I'll use a mod or CC for a little while, then suddenly it just isn't there anymore and I have to download it again. A few days ago, my Sims all went silly over stuffing bottles into babies at every waking moment. Yesterday, I found the $1000 Mortgage Shrub had vanished, so my Sims had to borrow $10,000. Then they started getting pop-ups about people not being friends anymore, although I modded that out a while ago . . .

My antivirus was already suspected of eating the Land Grant University Sims (their thumbnails faded out and vanished), but this is getting ridiculous. Antivirus simnovorii, begone! It's time to find something that allows me to add exceptions.
Page 4 of 4