Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#76 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:56 PM
It's a very 90s look, you can see she's wearing heavy makeup and translucent leggings. That's of course hard to recreate in a game made during the late 00s and early 10s, and recreating these now-retro fashions has become the bane of my existance lately.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Theorist
#77 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 1:29 AM
[QUOTE=Deshong]
As far as, some finding the Sims themselves boring may be because they never delve deep into gameplay nor their Sims AI to ever find the many fascinating things they do and think. Some don't ever spend much time to even get to know the Sims before constantly moving on so they never fully experience what the AI has to offer in terms of entertainment and realism.

With this in mind, I don't understand why people rush to CHEAT asap when playing (max motives all the time, max money, max skills, max out careers) then say "How boring!" Come on, play the game a bit first. I remember when I first had Sims 2 I wouldn't use mods and NEVER could advance my Sims. I finally learned about this site and the good mods that enhance and fix game play. However, once I began to get greedy and hit motherlode, kaching, whatever the games all got boring.

I try not to cheat a lot in Sims 3.
It kills the fun for me and I get bored.

Don't "cheat" and "max out stuff" and expect it to be "really fun." Part of the "fun" is watching your people freak out when those twins are crying and Daddy is dragging his butt home from being a fan in the music industry and Mommy is fed up with those kids and just wants to sleep for more than five seconds. Then they both pee themselves, Junior is starving and gets taken away by the social worker, and the teenager has run off and is dodging curfew.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#78 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 5:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
With this in mind, I don't understand why people rush to CHEAT asap when playing (max motives all the time, max money, max skills, max out careers) then say "How boring!" Come on, play the game a bit first. I remember when I first had Sims 2 I wouldn't use mods and NEVER could advance my Sims. I finally learned about this site and the good mods that enhance and fix game play. However, once I began to get greedy and hit motherlode, kaching, whatever the games all got boring.

I try not to cheat a lot in Sims 3.
It kills the fun for me and I get bored.

Don't "cheat" and "max out stuff" and expect it to be "really fun." Part of the "fun" is watching your people freak out when those twins are crying and Daddy is dragging his butt home from being a fan in the music industry and Mommy is fed up with those kids and just wants to sleep for more than five seconds. Then they both pee themselves, Junior is starving and gets taken away by the social worker, and the teenager has run off and is dodging curfew.

It's interesting as it touches on two elements of the Sims- 1.) The Life Game and 2.) An accessible wish-fulfillment simulator- the second is what makes the Sims such a wildly popular game ("Wow I can live in my perfect fairytale mansion instead of a post-soviet flat!"), but it also can erode away the first elements when people are impatient- cheats in the sims series are also almost too easy to use if you don't have wills of steel.
#79 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 9:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I love how people are always tut-tutting these 'talking points' but always fail to mention that EA is in bed with Wall Street just as hard as big banks, oil companies, ect... EA's nose is always so magically clean. It must be selective memory or people really love to give Wall Street and all of its ugly tentacles a pass.

Goes back to chair dancing to the Supremes

Never said that it was clean. Just said it didn't do those things. Those are VERY different subjects. I even said that they nickel and dime you in a way akin to highway robbery. But they aren't out there killing people or stealing resources or anything like that. There are MUCH worse companies out there and for them to continuously bring that title home is ridiculous. They're not even the worst gaming related company in the US. That doesn't mean they're not bad, but that they're not even close to the worst.

How do you come to the conclusion that saying so is somehow a pass?
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 9:12 AM
As cheating goes, I've always been someone wanting to do it for myself if I can (and sometimes even when I really can't, ehum...) But I remember in TS1, I worked so hard to get my household to be able to afford 2 Sim Lane, the biggest house in N1, and it took forever. After several rl weeks, I was at the end of a full day play session, the very last for the foreseeable future as I was on my last day of vacation and had what seemed like endless work and rl projects ahead of me that'd keep me from simming at all. Wanted that house so badly, so klapaucius'd it...

Turned out to be too big for my crappy pc to run smoothly so I could barely play, and it wasn't even remotely interesting looking or fancy inside and I was gutted.
Theorist
#81 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 9:50 AM
“Legacy play”
I guess it’s some sort of generational play style, but because I have aging always off, It doesn’t factor into my game.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Forum Resident
#82 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 1:30 PM
I cheat constantly, but I use my game to tell stories. To be honest, I didn't really enjoy Sims 2 until I discovered "rosebud."
Mad Poster
#83 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 1:45 PM
I've never really played TS3 without cheats. I rely on them to be able to play my game as I see fit. I've played without money and need cheats on a couple of occasions but the game was so easy that it didn't really entertain me.

On an afternoon of playing I'll use:

moveObjects on
familyFunds * *
constrainFloorElevation false
restrictBuildBuyInBuildings off
hideHeadlineEffects on
buyDebug on
fadeObjects off

And I can call them all up with the push of a button. G8, I'll go, and then G3, and suddenly the entire lot is mine.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#84 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 2:55 PM
It's not exactly what the people are saying, but rather what they are doing - the whole 100 baby challenge thing
And making youtube let's plays for it, where the player barely says anything else except for screaming "Awww, so cuuuute!" every 5 seconds.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#85 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 3:12 PM
The use of cheats varies for me. I tend to keep them on regardless of whether I'm actually going to use them or not. Motive cheats are what I use more often. Money, I usually reserve for situations such as a household that's supposed to be rich by default.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#86 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimOllieTS3
It's not exactly what the people are saying, but rather what they are doing - the whole 100 baby challenge thing
And making youtube let's plays for it, where the player barely says anything else except for screaming "Awww, so cuuuute!" every 5 seconds.

You forgot to mention the part where their episodes get 30.000 views each.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#87 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 3:39 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 26th Jul 2018 at 3:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
You forgot to mention the part where their episodes get 30.000 views each.

I don't know what it is about LP's for me. I mean I like to think I'm an energetic, fun guy to be around, but I always find LPers grating on my nerves. Some are just very social, I get it. But some of them just talk through the entire thing way, way, way too much. Honestly, if it's anything besides The Sims, I don't even bother with LPs. Especially story based games. It's fun to me to watch others play and pick up on certain things you may not have noticed otherwise without a lot of unnecessary comments.

Mad Poster
#88 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 3:53 PM
If it'll get me 30.000 views, I might. My end goal is to entertain people, and clearly I haven't yet reached my full potential. But I'm not going to put up some fake-ass act to draw attention. I don't like manipulating algorithms or including 10-second previews or telling you to smash my like buttons. I make my videos the same way TV makers have made TV for many decades and if you don't like it, you can fuck off back to your Snapchat or whatever. I'm fun, I don't need to fake shit to make myself more interesting.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#89 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 4:17 PM
...or telling you to smash my like buttons.

Oh, perfect place for a "push my buttons" pun but I'm going to try and restrain myself...

But yeah, your personality is entertaining. Like your post. You're just very authentic. You don't put on an act for the views, it's who you are. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's "fake" personalities. People that make you think they're everyone's best friend. But find them anywhere outside of their "friends" and they're a completely different person.

Plus, you're one of the few people who can consistently make me laugh, so that's a plus.

Mad Poster
#90 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 4:24 PM
One thing I want to work on though, and I know people like to tell me I'm good at this or that, and that I underestimate myself - I don't, shut up - is that I actually make some damn videos because every time I talk about being a YouTuber I get this nagging feeling that it's all just theory. I make some videos, entertain some people, talk about it a bit and generally have a good time, but so far I've only really been talking about it. I'm hardly gifted at making videos, as demonstrated by the fact that Bridgeport88 episode #2 has only really gotten off the ground in the last week or so. And it just so happens that my game isn't talking to me anymore.

Seriously though, I'm saddled with more issues than I can handle. TS3 is giving me an attitude, TS2 has gone on strike as well and all the mod tools I need are broken in one way or another. And I'm broke so I can't bribe anyone into doing my work for me. Your boy needs development aid ASAP.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#91 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 4:43 PM
Well, it's like anything else, it seems tough at the time but you never know what might happen unless you try. But I'll tell you that I'm brutally honest with people. I'm that way with myself. So what if you aren't gifted, you already have the personality and making videos can be learnt. Hope your game problem clears up too. That's never fun.

But, seriously. I think you're doing fine as it is. If you have people that like your stuff, then they shouldn't mind waiting anyway.

Mad Poster
#92 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 4:57 PM
People way more skilled than me have given me their approval, which is neat. I've managed to get people interested in my videos in my real life as well as on the internet. But I'm not entirely satisfied and ultimately that's what matters most to me.
So I try to understand when people tell me I'm doing great, but I can't always agree.

insert signature here
Theorist
#93 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
But, seriously. I think you're doing fine as it is. If you have people that like your stuff, then they shouldn't mind waiting anyway.

I agree. Any fool can load up his or her game and say "Hey guys, let's see what's up with Brittany and Bobby now that she's pregnant with alien twins.." giggle giggle.

Those sort of Youtubers hold zero interest for me. I know how damn hard it is to put together movies and videos from just stills (I'm making that one of my goals to learn different video editing software) so you should take your time and do what you like. I told another vlogger this the other day--you have to just be yourself and put your stuff out there when you are satisfied. If people like it, okay. If not okay. It's all about fun and maybe learning something to keep the grey matter alive.

Too many people crank out **** videos every day and stick them up on Youtube just to get a reaction. Anyone can film a "let's shop for CC" video. I suppose people like them and fall all over them and they get a lot of views. It takes talent to build a city from the floor up and make a series.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#94 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 5:03 PM
The way I see it, you can have frequent videos or you can have good videos. A shit video takes a couple of hours to put together, a good one can take dozens or hundreds of hours. But I haven't managed to find the middle ground. 100 hours isn't a whole lot on a month, but it's my end goal. I don't currently have the time or resources to do an episode a month but my hope is that if I do a few more, I can attract people who can help me get certain things done. And then, when there's maybe someone who can make me some assets or someone who can help speed up heavy VFX work or someone who can collect reference material for me, or even just a couple of Patreon supporters, it becomes a whole lot more viable for me to make videos that are both great and frequent.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#95 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 5:03 PM
People way more skilled than me have given me their approval, which is neat. I've managed to get people interested in my videos in my real life as well as on the internet. But I'm not entirely satisfied and ultimately that's what matters most to me.
So I try to understand when people tell me I'm doing great, but I can't always agree.

Sounds a lot like how I am with my own projects outside of gaming. In my case, I lean towards a perfectionist mentality. But more than that, I have to actually have people tell me my work is good for me to believe it. I never think that about my own projects. Some may think it sounds defeatist, but it's just how I am. But I've learned over time just to roll with it and just keep going, because otherwise I'd never get anything finished.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#96 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 8:14 AM
This isn't even strictly TS3 based, but has anyone else noticed how deathly afraid some people are of adding mods/cc to their game? I've seen it in several places, always to the effect of "yeah, I don't play with them at all, too many issues and incompatibilities". It's like, OK? Do you want a badge or something? I get that some people want to stick to official content, and that's fine. But it's not that difficult to sort through outdated mods and check for conflicts with other mods. But hey, you do you.

Forum Resident
#97 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
This isn't even strictly TS3 based, but has anyone else noticed how deathly afraid some people are of adding mods/cc to their game? I've seen it in several places, always to the effect of "yeah, I don't play with them at all, too many issues and incompatibilities". It's like, OK? Do you want a badge or something? I get that some people want to stick to official content, and that's fine. But it's not that difficult to sort through outdated mods and check for conflicts with other mods. But hey, you do you.

I honestly don't know how people play TS3 unmodded.
Mad Poster
#98 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme

I'm more confused when people say that mods broke their game, that they had to uninstall, and that their game doesn't work anymore- but they don't use the 50/50 method or even in the worst case, remove the documents folder and let a new one generate. It's like they don't understand that mods don't edit the game files themselves, they only override them.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 2:52 PM
I loved sims 3 from the moment I first played it. It had everything I wanted when I was playing sims 2. I do get nostalgic to play sims 2 every once in a while and then I think about not having an open world and the whole town aging and doing their own lives and I just nope right out of there.

Living high contrast
Forum Resident
#100 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme

Easy. TS3 is awesome with or without mods. Maybe some just can't see because they never truly gave the game a chance. For me, here are some things that I love about the game that has nothing to do with mods.

-Learning and dynamic AI that is the most advanced with the open seamless world
-No loading screens except moving or traveling
-Realistic aging across the whole neighborhood
-New permanent life stage (YA)
-Graphics
-Way more subtle and realistic animations compared to TS2 exaggeration
-More advanced and in-depth skills like cooking
-CASt/CAP/CAW
-Added muscle/breast/weight sliders
-Open world also means more gameplay than ever before and following other Sims to see what they are up to/Simulation of the everything like a real life simulator for the genre it represents yet still is very stable which I find impressive even during speed 3
-Infants, toddlers, children have the most freedom than ever
-Shoes and socks now being separate
-Story Progression even though it's best to give players the most control so the game isn't doing something unwanted
-Everything EP's and the store bought as gameplay
-Etc.

With or without mods I still enjoy the game as I always have. But I do use mods because it adds an "extra" layer of fun to the game or to correct something that The Sims Studio will never come back and fix.
Page 4 of 12