Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#151 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 10:21 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Feb 2019 at 11:06 PM.
^ Pretty sure it's not just anyone's crappy internet that's causing the slow downloads. For the past hour or so I've been trying to download 4 files off Simfileshare (three 2MB files and one 6 MB file), and they're downloading at 1 kb/sec or less (the download window said 0 byte when the files were at around 70% but the % kept going up). Normal downloading speed for anywhere else for files below 10 MB tends to be just a few seconds for me (an 8 MB file from MTS took less than 3 seconds, so fast I didn't even have time to bring up the download overview).

I think I downloaded the 6 MB file over an hour ago, and it's still less than 70% downloaded (the 2 MB files finished some 20 minutes ago). (Edit: Download took at least 1.5 hour)

I'm also getting the error messages and all that. I really hope they manage to fix the issues pretty soon.
Advertisement
Instructor
#152 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 10:12 AM
The download speed seems to be faster when America's asleep. Yesterday morning, when America was at night, it was 50-sometimes 80 kb/s.
Undead Molten Llama
#153 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 5:11 PM
Server speeds are always kind of dependent on traffic, so that's not totally surprising. Although I have to say that I feel like there are more European Simmers than there are American...but maybe that's just because I yak at more Europeans on Tumblr because I'm nocturnal so my sleep schedule aligns better with when Europe (especially Eastern Europe) is awake, so I'm always chatting with people in Russia and Finland and Sweden and Estonia. Most Americans are asleep in the middle of my "day," and I'm asleep when most of them are awake.

ANYWAY! During this time when SFS is up and down and slow or not, y'all should keep an eye on their Tumblr, where they're regularly posting about what's going on. For instance, the whole site is going to be down for a while while they pull a full backup: https://simfileshare.tumblr.com/pos...owntime-warning

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#154 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 6:33 PM
Oh good. I was about to call our internet guy back yesterday as we literally JUST got it installed and I waited 30 minutes for one Peppermint and Ginger default pack to download. It took FOREVER.

I've never seen SFS this slow before, and of course there's always issues when I'm loading up a new install and trying to get all my defaults to work without borkage. -_-
Mad Poster
#155 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 6:46 PM
Seems like one or two of you might appreciate this link: https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ every now and then. It's my go to when my internet's being intermittent. Well, that and http://www.spaceweather.com/ because sun puke always messes up my connections. Internet slow? Phone static-hissy? See if the sun's vomiting again.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#156 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 7:53 PM
I use this one to check if a site's down or not.

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/
Forum Resident
#157 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 8:10 PM
Because simfileshare's downtime seems to be pretty serious, if there is something you are looking for in the archived sites that I have done, PM me.

This includes All About Style 2,3,4, Cloudwalker sims 3, Lunasims 3, BrittPinkieSims, PronupSims, Simmetrical/SimsConnection, Paraply TS4 and more. Please be specific to help me get it faster, and in the meantime, I will re-share my dropbox folders when I am done reuploading there.
Lab Assistant
#158 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:25 AM
It has been over 24hrs with the site down with no new updates. It is not the site being down that is annoying me the most, as I understand stuff happens. But what irritates me is a company/people that don't talk or give an odd update to their clients/users so you know what is going on. I have enough of that attitude in real life.. Assuming simfileshare can get themselves online I'm nearly finished downloading what I want for s2 and I'll be moving some very hard to find s3cc that I've backed up to sfs and share over at the sims caves, I don't feel confident in simfileshare anymore
Mad Poster
#159 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:28 AM
There is an update on the previous page. It's not like we're paying them for stuff.
Lab Assistant
#160 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 12:04 PM
Just saw this update , maybe it will be helpful to those who don't visit tumblr.
Instructor
#161 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 1:37 PM
I advise everyone to bookmark the downloads they want until Sim File Share is running again. That's what I've been doing. So, when Sim File Share is back up, I don't have to search up and down my browser history trying to figure out what I wanted to get

Here's the latest update from Sim File Share's Tumblr:

Quote:
5 HOURS AGO

Downtime Warning
simfileshare:

Hi all,

Apologies, all - the backup is taking much longer than anticipated and will probably last for most of today as well.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Theorist
#162 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 2:23 PM
It's amazing to see how impatient people can truly be...seriously. Between the comments here and on Tumblr (where some have been downright rude), you'd think something truly life-altering was occurring...when Sim File Share being down is really just a First World problem.

I get that people are upset, but it's not like they're doing this intentionally.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#163 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
It's amazing to see how impatient people can truly be...seriously. Between the comments here and on Tumblr (where some have been downright rude), you'd think something truly life-altering was occurring...when Sim File Share being down is really just a First World problem.

I get that people are upset, but it's not like they're doing this intentionally.

Completely agreed, I don't really see what's the problem with the waiting. I don't have much time to play lately but it wouldn't make the difference even if I would be playing 24/7.

I'm bookmarking/post privately the stuff I mean to download once SFS is back on and really appreciate the amount of updates we are getting to tell us what's going on. Considering how usually works and how many people use it to upload/download stuff and that's completely free I would expect people to be a bit more grateful.

Anyway, let's hope that once it's back everything we'll be fixed and completely working
Undead Molten Llama
#164 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Leo5
It has been over 24hrs with the site down with no new updates. It is not the site being down that is annoying me the most, as I understand stuff happens. But what irritates me is a company/people that don't talk or give an odd update to their clients/users so you know what is going on. I have enough of that attitude in real life.. Assuming simfileshare can get themselves online I'm nearly finished downloading what I want for s2 and I'll be moving some very hard to find s3cc that I've backed up to sfs and share over at the sims caves, I don't feel confident in simfileshare anymore

For the love of Baphomet, SFS is not a "company." It's not even a lot of people. It's one person, namely Nysha, who provides an awesome service exclusively for probably thousands Simmers, for free, and while I hope that the ad revenue the site generates covers costs, it's mostly done out of the goodness of her heart. She's a person who is part of and actually cares about the Sims community. I assure you that the people behind, say, Dropbox do not care about any of the people who use their free service. Sure, maybe a lot of people aren't aware of this and they think SFS is some massive for-profit company like Dropbox or Mediafryer, too, and I shouldn't get so pissy on their behalf...but I do. So yeah, one awesome person providing a free, community-specific service that of course is going to have some issues sometimes. But if you've lost confidence, then by all means go to Mediafryer or Dropbox or Box ...because they've proven they're so very reliable.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Undead Molten Llama
#165 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:06 PM
There's the difference, though: YOU care, as a person who directly deals with the customers (who I assume pay for the service) and you want to make them happy because you're a human being with empathy and because you probably don't want to be screamed at. But you, the one employee or even the whole customer service department, are not "the company." When push comes to shove, if a company offers a free service AND a paid service, then obviously they're going to care more about the people who pay them money. If they screw up or lose files that someone is paying them to keep safe, then they're obligated to address the problem, quickly. Those who just use their free service? Not so much. And even if you remove the free vs. paid angle, a company of any size running a general file-sharing service serving the public in general is not going to care as much -- as a company as a whole, not individual customer service reps -- about an individual user as a person who is part of a niche community offering a service to that very specific community. That was all I meant.

EDIT: Ooops, you deleted your post. But my sentiment still stands. I have all sorts of empathy for people who work in customer service. I certainly couldn't do it, myself. But...Well, the fact remains, and I wanted to make it clear that I'm not maligning "big companies." I just understand the reality of them.

Forum Resident
#166 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
There's the difference, though: YOU care, as a person who directly deals with the customers (who I assume pay for the service) and you want to make them happy because you're a human being with empathy and because you probably don't want to be screamed at. But you, the one employee or even the whole customer service department, are not "the company." When push comes to shove, if a company offers a free service AND a paid service, then obviously they're going to care more about the people who pay them money. If they screw up or lose files that someone is paying them to keep safe, then they're obligated to address the problem, quickly. Those who just use their free service? Not so much. And even if you remove the free vs. paid angle, a company of any size running a general file-sharing service serving the public in general is not going to care as much -- as a company as a whole, not individual customer service reps -- about an individual user as a person who is part of a niche community offering a service to that very specific community. That was all I meant.

EDIT: Ooops, you deleted your post. But my sentiment still stands. I have all sorts of empathy for people who work in customer service. I certainly couldn't do it, myself. But...Well, the fact remains, and I wanted to make it clear that I'm not maligning "big companies." I just understand the reality of them.

I completely agree - I wasn't disagreeing with this in any way, just saying that big companies also care (and certainly all of us who come to work every day in our myriad roles care about what we do, we just don't always get it right lol).

I think the main request for people to be more patient and stop expecting immediate resolution to very simple woes is 100% on target.
Mad Poster
#167 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 2:39 AM
I didn't know that Nysha ran SFS. I thought it was Delphy.
Alchemist
#168 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 3:30 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 21st Feb 2019 at 5:56 PM.
I understand we're not complaining, but what is up, because the site is just hosted with a company (Cloudflare?). So it's not like the person running it would actually physically have access to the server... or is that wrong? I mean, occasionally, my hosting service has little glitches but they solve them, not me.
Instructor
#169 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 4:14 PM
I wish @Nysha would come on here and let us know if it's more than a backup problem. Soooo many files are on that site, it's scary to think that they may not be accessible anymore. She is one of the administrators here.
http://www.modthesims.info/m/138496
Mad Poster
#170 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
I wish @Nysha would come on here and let us know if it's more than a backup problem. Soooo many files are on that site, it's scary to think that they may not be accessible anymore. She is one of the administrators here.

You know, we are talking about Sims players, which some have uploaded on there, stuff they personally downloaded for themselves before said old Sim site went down.
After so many years of simming, it is likely that we learned our lesson : Keep backups.
So in the minim eventuality that SFS loses everything its now hosting, I am pretty sure simmers would be able to re upload. This is not as scary as it may look.
As for our personal creations well...every one of them is still in my game so in my possession.
Let's just all wait patiently.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
#171 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 4:42 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/m/138496

As harsh as this may sound, I'm going to say it anyhow. If creators that have uploaded their content to SFS (or anywhere else for that matter) did not save a backup of their creations elsewhere, then that's not really on SFS. Nothing in life is a guarantee - that is what contingency plans are for.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Test Subject
#172 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 7:44 AM
As much as I'm trying to be patient and clamp down on the id-brain that says 'give me all my CC now!', I would appreciate an update on timings again. The last update on their Tumblr was nearly two days ago (which said it would probably only last another day or less), and the last one on Twitter was three (the original 4-8 hours update). It'd be nice to have a better idea of when the downtime would end, even if it was just an estimate.

(It's very hard to clamp down on the id-brain because after today, I'm going to have no time to play the Sims 2 for about three to four months, but I recognise that that's a me problem and still a very "First World Problem" X).)
Instructor
#173 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 8:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
As harsh as this may sound, I'm going to say it anyhow. If creators that have uploaded their content to SFS (or anywhere else for that matter) did not save a backup of their creations elsewhere, then that's not really on SFS. Nothing in life is a guarantee - that is what contingency plans are for.

To a point I agree, but then, you have a lot of simmers who graciously added files from creators who are not simmers anymore or gone for some reason or another, and then those who uploaded them are also gone (I've seen that). Hopefully Nysha has a contingency plan if something happens that she can't get back to it (that would be the worse case scenario), as harsh as that is too.
Alchemist
#174 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 11:49 AM
To a point I agree, but then, you have a lot of simmers who graciously added files from creators who are not simmers anymore or gone for some reason or another, and then those who uploaded them are also gone (I've seen that). Hopefully Nysha has a contingency plan if something happens that she can't get back to it (that would be the worse case scenario), as harsh as that is too.

Agree. It's not about the creators, themselves, having a backup. This is the repository for a whole community, a whole sub-culture that is aging. Rather like the library of Alexandria, collecting it again would likely be.... well, let's all think positively.
Theorist
#175 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 12:53 PM

As someone that has on occasion shared files (for others to enjoy) of creators that are no longer active, yes, I know that the creations people share are not always just their own. However, I'm still of the mindset that sometimes life just happens...things go wrong.

SFS, just happens to be run by someone that is more accessible than say someone at Box of Dropbox, so it seems that people are being much more demanding than they would be if this were some large corporation you could only contact via Twitter or maybe a "Contact Us" tab on their site. Who knows, maybe the few people who manage SFS have other jobs, family obligations, weekend plans...

But, this is just my two-cents. People can take it or leave it.

Page 7 of 8