Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 7:30 PM
Default So, I finally did it. Deleted everything.
My old 15gb strong collection of CC finally crapped out on me and made the game unplayable. I realized I had a dreadful CC addiction, so I've decided to delete everything and start over. This time I'm going to try to download stuff I only really want and actually use, and not accumulate such a vast amount of junk...

In particular, I'm going to steer clear of downloading custom lots for the time being, because I've had waaay too many problems in the past with them (even supposedly CC free ones) having corrupt custom objects attached to them.

The only part I'm really bummed about is having to redo all my custom Gameplay.package tweaks from scratch. Oh well, c'est la vie.
Advertisement
Theorist
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 12:02 AM
I do this periodically. It's either the game starts running slowly or I get fed up with something I downloaded and can't find the borked item or just wanting a new start.

I keep saying I will keep CC to a minimum and use only trusted sources but then I get bored with the same counters/stoves/appliances or whatever and go on a download spree.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 2:54 AM
I'e had CC that didn't work at times and have always been able to track down the glitchy items and remove them before too long.I had started a "clean" folder which didn't have any established games in live mode so I could start with just new games and a new storyline and I've got an apoclaypse challenge in Sunset Valley2 with that game folder now.I didn't remove Mods or CC from my clean folder though I took active saves out.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 10:41 AM
Last year I did a big purge of my cc where I just deleted a lot of stuff out. I did consider just re-downloading from scratch but I was finding a lot of my favorites had been deleted & I really couldn't be bothered looking for alt download links. Also June this year I started messing with my cc again (mostly makeup & genetics) but I was having trouble with s3pe, it has become a real pain to merge or unmerge content. I also don't want to get back onto the cc merry go round it is just a waste of time & I'm looking at starting other hobbies & cc hunting and testing is a huge waste of time.

I got caught with worlds, if people were telling the truth about cc incl with those worlds I wouldn't have had to cleared out the amount that I did. I extracted the .world package file after the neighborhood was installed in the launcher and moved the file to the main Electronics Arts folder. I won't have to worry about installing unwanted cc again from these worlds again. I may have to fix a roof or two.
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 6:09 PM
Does anyone else keep their cc in separate folders? I have staple cc I keep in my mods folder at all times but anything else I know is specialty or wont be used on a regular basis is located in a storage folder and is organized by type (urban cc, modern cc, rural cc, fantasy cc, etc). I then switch them out as I like and that has worked for me for a while... I'm also a perfectionist though so I dont really have cc I don't use or don't like floating around. I clean house like once a month.
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 8:16 PM
I do this every now and then. Depends on what my current gameplay style is.
For example, if I know I'll only be using autumn/winter seasons, I make sure to only have weather-appropriate CC clothes. And I definitely go through my CC hairs every now and then because I tend to grab some extra ones that I think LOOK really cute or cool, but when I use them in-game myself, I realize they aren't, and I know I'll not use them.

My CC folders for the in-game use are separated into hair, clothes, tuning mods, NRaas, and default replacements because I tend to merge all packages into bigger ones...
My outside CC folders are much more separated. I keep adult + maternity clothes in one place, then separate the clothes into stages; hairs separated into CC and BGC hairs; Nraas and mods separated from each other, etc.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 11:41 PM
I organize ruthlessly, because I learned I had to while playing Sims 2. Because I am a packrat.
Scholar
#9 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 10:35 AM
I organize and combine according to ingame CAS categories with max filesize of around 50MB each. So hairs for example can have hair1 hair2 etc. But I try to make it so that it loads from few files as possible. Not sure if that makes a noticable difference though. The organizing according to CAS category that is, I know that the combining helps loads.
I should clean up my CC folders too and recombine everything again. I have a lot that I never use.
Test Subject
#10 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 5:43 PM
Oh...I don't know if I can do that. I get nervous thinking about it, I have so much old stuff and compacted stuff, I just don't know. The game runs okay, I lag a lot in ultra speed, which is annoying at night. Maybe I could try it with my sim sliders still..and nraas stuff. Oh...I just don't know if I have the courage. Tho It does have an appeal, I'd like to get rid of my clothing and hair CC but I can't find it all, it's mixed up in sims 3 packs and package files lol. It's all a mess here, little to no organization.
If I go to my mods/package folder in sims 3 I right click select it all and then properties, it says 5.99GB is that a lot?
Inventor
#11 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 6:27 PM
I delete most of my CC and mods every year. I have a CC addition too and I compulsively download stuff I never end up using.
I only keep one 500 MB package file (with content I "can't" play without) and the rest I delete. Same with mods. I noticed too many script mods can really slow down your game, especially upon loading a world (eventually it stabilizes).
I deleted my CC/mods last November and I've been exercising a lot of self control every since. My Mods folder is currently 1.4 GB; it used to be 6.4.
Alchemist
#12 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 7:31 PM
I had to go cold turkey with almost all of my cc, as well. It was the only way left to fix my game, even though it nearly broke my heart. I did luckily manage to keep a few things I absolutely adored. The one good thing that came out of it was that I realized how much stuff there was already in the game (+ store). I guess through the years I kinda ignored most of it for the benefit of cc. The only thing that desperately needs cc is CAS. In the end, it is very liberating experience, in a way.
Inventor
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
The only thing that desperately needs cc is CAS

I don't know. I think EPs add really nice CAS content. Late Night, Showtime, Island Paradise and University Life are my favorites when it comes to clothes. The only CAS content I have now is 20-something hairs, 5 or 6 high heels and a dozen or so of accesories (nails, jewelry, etc). I'm pretty satisfied with the clothes the game has and most CC clothes looks REAAALY bad in-game. If I were to add more clothes, I'd use Store content that actually looks good in the game.
Alchemist
#14 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 10:16 PM Last edited by varpunen : 24th Dec 2018 at 4:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I don't know. I think EPs add really nice CAS content. Late Night, Showtime, Island Paradise and University Life are my favorites when it comes to clothes. The only CAS content I have now is 20-something hairs, 5 or 6 high heels and a dozen or so of accesories (nails, jewelry, etc). I'm pretty satisfied with the clothes the game has and most CC clothes looks REAAALY bad in-game. If I were to add more clothes, I'd use Store content that actually looks good in the game.

Yeah, the Store does have few nice pieces, as well. I think one of the best things in TS3 is the Create-A-Style. With good patterns and realistic wood + brick + stone + metal textures you can do wonders in game. I've always loved this feature but it especially hit home just how much, when I gave the TS4 a test run (it ended up being a really short run).