Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 5:07 PM
Default Pool inside deck
I'm designing a house and I want to build a deck and have a pool in the middle. I couldn't find any tutorials on it, any help would be appreciated.
cripp
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 5:09 PM
I don't thnk you can dig a pool into a deck, so you would have to have cut out some of the deck and sink the pool into the ground in the cut out area.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 7:02 PM
Tried that, and though it looks good the sim can't get in.
#4 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 7:02 PM
Well, you need some ground around the pool and steps down from the foundation.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 1:43 AM
1. Raise the ground where you want to place the pool up by three clicks.
2. Place your pool on that raised part of the ground.
3. Turn CFE off.
4. Build a foundation on each side of the pool, dragging it from the unraised part of the ground to the edge of the pool.

The pool walls will now be the height of your foundation, Although you'll have a shallower pool because the water level will stay at ground level, the pool should be swimmable.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 10:48 AM
You can get it at the normal height, as shown thus:

However, it seems to be only a temporary success, as the water-line becomes deeper after you exit and re-enter the lot.
#7 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 11:09 AM
Ah that is what I found too. Glad it's not just me being inept.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 1:39 PM
Does "water-line becomes deeper" mean that sims can't use it, or is it just a cosmetic issue? (I never tried this, but now I'm curious =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Does "water-line becomes deeper" mean that sims can't use it, or is it just a cosmetic issue? (I never tried this, but now I'm curious =)

A cosmetic issue. The water-line starts at the bottom of the foundation instead of the top. I'm sure Sims can still use it; the animation might be wrong, though.
#10 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 1:42 PM
I'm not convinced this has any merit over the two-stage entry where the pool is in the normal ground with a deck surrounding

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I'm not convinced this has any merit over the two-stage entry where the pool is in the normal ground with a deck surrounding

Infinity pools are the only merit I can discern. Even then they won't look very infinite in The Sims.
#12 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 3:05 PM
It's gorgeous! But I don't think I would have the courage to swim in it.

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 4:47 PM
yeah the terrain and the deck around the pool seems to work. you could add mimicry of having a square space between the pool and deck [ [] ]. you could add stairs for access to the lower elevation.
wow! that overhang pool would be difficult to make. you could raise terrain and build up the pool and add the stairs in the pool with a cheat. maybe after you get the pool set up then you could lower the terrain on the outside area and below to create the overhang.

hmmm so theorectically build up an "attached "second level to the raised terrain pool and then go to the "attached" area and drop to the first floor area.
maybe setup a "false bottom" that you can delete after you shut off the cheats.

HAH another great idea to try out! thanks
#14 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 4:54 PM
That's where Niol's fake pool tiles were so useful.

Alchemist
#15 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:06 PM
I built a split level deck with a pool on the second level in this house http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=319338 and I did this using jonesi's pool on the roof tutorial http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=94588

Oops looking at the building pics Im thinking this is sims 3 not 2 you want,

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Apr 2013 at 6:01 AM
Using "constrainfloorelevation off" you can easily build a pool on a deck.
First place your foundation. Type in the cheat. And just create a pool on it. Only thing: make sure to leave at least two squares of foundation around the pool so that it doesn't mess up the surrounding terrain. The pool looks like a regular pool and you can add ladders and pool lights and everything.
dodgy builder
#17 Old 17th Apr 2013 at 11:49 PM
I have now come to patch number 1.50 and suddenly I cant' make a walk-in-basement anymore. Dont' wake up these old threads unless it's actually usefull now 3 years later ... please