Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:37 PM
Default 'Spliced' texture
Hi guys

I'm texturing my object, and I'm using the statue with the two part mesh (the most expensive one). I need to do this because my mesh has two seperate parts to it. All goes fine and dandy, until I try applying a tecture to teh base, which has a texture size of 128 by 256, which is too narrow. When I try to import a large texture, the texture 'splices'-

not something that looks very nice in game.

Is there a way of creating a new sized texture canvas, or will I simply have to UV map my base in those dimensions so that it doesn't splice?

I send my thanks to anyone who can help me out

SuperFly :baloons:

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:48 PM
Are you using Build DXT to import your texture? That should enable you to import a texture of a different size. You can download the needed DDS Utilities here. Install them, and set the correct path into the SimPE Preferences.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:53 PM
Superfly,
are you using 'build dxt' or simply importing the texture?
it's perfectly possible to change texture sizes (as long as their dimensions are combinations of 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc pixels) by right-clicking and choosing 'build dxt'
also, if you're not going for transparency and stuff, dxt1 should be enough
I haven't fully tested the different dxt formats, only know that you need at least 3 for transparency, but 5 has more to do with bumpmaps I thought.
Someone protest if I'm wrong
I also see a 'null' line in your pic. Have you tried deleting that? Cause I've never needed one in my meshes.

edit: IB, it's ridiculous how slow I type, compared to you
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 5:00 PM
Ohhh, two experts at the same time- result

Thanks guys- I'll look and see if I can't sort this little problem out

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Forum Resident
#5 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 7:54 PM
Lethe_s, DXT3 is for sharp alphas, DXT5 for smooth ones as far as i have read.
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 8:11 PM
I'm not sure about the meaning of DXT5, but I have yet to come accross a clone of a Maxis object that uses it. All the textures that use alpha that I've seen are DXT3. Also, DXT5 makes the file size a lot bigger, so I would avoid it for that reason alone.