Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 7:06 AM
Default Can't place stairs?
I'm trying to place stairs, and as you can see in the screenshot it is not working. I even tried with moveobjects on but no cigar. Any ideas? I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this.

Screenshots

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 2:22 PM
An image with some lights on would help- I can't see what's happening clearly there!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 3:50 PM Last edited by Chicken0895 : 24th Mar 2012 at 4:02 PM.
Sure, give me a few minutes to start up the game. Sorry about that!

Edit: Here you go! See how the stairs remain red even though there are no objects it could be intersecting?

Screenshots

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Site Helper
#4 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 4:18 PM
Is that Sims 3? This is a Sims2 forum.
mature minion
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 5:14 PM
The fence looks a bit near, try removing it and the plant in line with the steps and see if that helps. That would be my first guess?
Banned
#7 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 5:30 PM
If you remove the stair next to it, can you place a stair where you're trying to? If so, set the stair width to two, and set it there.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 5:32 PM Last edited by PoisonFrog : 24th Mar 2012 at 5:52 PM.
Are you getting an error message?
Edit: Even if the stair placement turns red, I usually move it to where I want to place it and click, just to see what the error is.

Did you try placing both sets of steps at once by setting the stair width to 2? Another thing to try is turning on the CFE cheat, sometimes that helps even when it doesn't seem like you'd need it.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 5:58 PM
What is the message you get? Usually something pops up near the cursor saying "cannot level ground" or "cannot intersect wall" when you click with the red non-placement arrows showing.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Is that Sims 3? This is a Sims2 forum.

Wow... that's embarrassing Thanks HugeLunatic for moving the thread!

Tee Hee Hee: Thanks, but still not working.

AdamantEve: I tried that, still not working.

PoisonFrog: ICFE did not help, but thanks for the idea.

Inge: It says "cannot intersect objects" even though it isn't intersecting anything. Moveobjects doesn't help.

The weird thing is, there used to be different stairs there, so it's hard to imagine why they aren't working now.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:08 PM
Butterflies etc count as objects too. If there were any around you might have to wait for them to clear before you can build.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#12 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:22 PM
I notice the placement borders the fountain/pool. You could try sledgehammering a few fountain squares, place the stairs, and then redo the fountain. Sometimes the order of placing things matters, too.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 9:29 PM
Inge: THere are no butterflies that I can see

PoisonFrog: Great idea, but it still is not working.

Thanks for trying to help guys, I hope we find a solution soon.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 9:56 PM
The only other thing I can think of, is to upload the lot as a Sims3pack to the web and let people try to solve it. If no one can fix it, probably best to try a different lot layout...

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 10:46 PM
Have you turned on buydebug to make sure there are no debug items in the way?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 2:22 AM
No debug items in the way and everyone who has Showtime should have the lot. It's a default one I'm remodeling. It's called House to the Future, 200 Foothill drive in Starlight Shores. I'm trying to place the stairs on the bridge farthest away from the garage.

dodgy builder
#17 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 6:41 PM
Sometimes it's just a fricking headache to build in this game. When such things happen I usually end up rebuilding everything all over again. Remove the pool, the stairs and the bridge. Build the support for the stairs, then the stairs, then the bridge and the pool at last. If it still doesn't work you could try move the bridge 1 tile.

I found the lot. Try removing the desk on the inside of the 2 floor. Worked like a charm when I did.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 10:12 PM
Really? A freaking desk on another floor? Good god, this is just more evidence (as if we needed more) that EA doesn't actually play their games before release.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it next time I start up the game (some time today) and I'll post the results.

dodgy builder
#19 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 11:31 PM
Yes, I know. The wall is hanging a bit out and the grid is interferring with the stairs.They need 1 wall hight above them to be placed ... but it's complaining about the desk, not the roofs being too low.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Sometimes it's just a fricking headache to build in this game. When such things happen I usually end up rebuilding everything all over again. Remove the pool, the stairs and the bridge. Build the support for the stairs, then the stairs, then the bridge and the pool at last. If it still doesn't work you could try move the bridge 1 tile.

I found the lot. Try removing the desk on the inside of the 2 floor. Worked like a charm when I did.

You're a GENIUS!!!! I moved the desk and bam! I could place the stairs. Thank you (and everyone else who tried to help) so very much!