Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 2:50 AM
hiding those ugly red chimneys
I know in TS2 you could hide those hideous chimneys by enclosing them in walls and by putting floor tiles above it to conceal the top of it. I have tried the same thing in TS3, but it isn't working the same. The top of the chimney still sticks out. Some houses I don't mind, I would like to know if anyone knows how to do this? I have seen a few uploaded houses on here that have it concealed and would love to be able to do so. Thanks!!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 3:02 AM
Inventor
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 3:19 AM
You are right. If you have move objects on you can do anything you want with the chimney sections.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 3:42 AM
That doesn't work unfortunately...even with move objects it still tries to delete the whole fireplace But thanks for the suggestions...they are muchly appreciated!!
Theorist
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Allen92909
That doesn't work unfortunately...even with move objects it still tries to delete the whole fireplace But thanks for the suggestions...they are muchly appreciated!!

Actually it does work try clicking in different spots you must use moveobjects and disaseble the fire place first then delete them
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 5:42 PM
Hey...I got it to work with moveObjects...I guess you were all right. I had the chimney on the other side of a wall and it would only let me delete the whole thing. When I put it in the middle of the room and tried to delete the chimney only, it worked fine. So I guess I was just doing it wrong. I guess you can't delete it if it is against a wall. once the chinmey was gone I put the fireplace where I wanted it with the chimney a built myself and it looks great. Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate all the help.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 5:58 PM
Did the fireplace work then? I tried this and it kept setting the house on fire.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
Did the fireplace work then? I tried this and it kept setting the house on fire.

This trick has always worked for me. I build walls around the 3 sides. Did you use the cheap or expensive chimneys, Edejan?
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 1:18 AM
It's also possible to recolor chimneys, using the Object Cloner (S3OC), if the color is what bothers you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 6:55 PM
Haven't set anything on fire with my fireplaces yet...so they work okay without the chimney, but I always put walls around them to make my own chimney. Didn't know I could change the color of the chimney though with the Object cloner...cause yeah it is the color that bothers me. I hardly ever build houses that the red chimney matches. Thanks for the info on the recolor though. I will try that.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 10:48 AM Last edited by baileywll : 30th Sep 2009 at 9:55 AM. Reason: extra info
Deleting the chimney works fine, I found that I had to use the hand tool to grab the sections and then delete, the hammer tool wouldn't do it. And remember to look all the way up, there is a section for each floor, then above the roof, and finally the top cap, first time I did it I didn't realise the top cap was separate so found it floating way above the roof.

You can of course use the chimney top and put it on your own chimney if you want the smoke effect, doesnt fit properly but you can build a short wall or fence wall at the top to hide it.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 4:17 AM
You can also use the triangular tiles when you are in build mode and put tiles around the outside edges of the chimney bit and it will work with that, and you do not have to delete the chimney which would pour smoke through your house... (in real life)

ElJamo

Hope you have a good day ;) I'm in Australia so I am probably sleeping :D
Add Bacon???
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 10:48 PM
[IMG]roof,chimney[/IMG]

As you can see (if the picture took), I removed the chimney sections below the smoker, and built a wall in its place. I sat the smoker in the middle, with a short solid fence surrounding it. When I added the roof, by default, it adds roofing around the chimney.

Can I do something to delete the roofing around the chimney without deleting the house's roof?

Thanks!
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 11:00 PM
Just delete it like any other roof. Ctrl-click. You need to turn off auto-roof first.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#15 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Just delete it like any other roof. Ctrl-click. You need to turn off auto-roof first.

Duhh.. lol Thanks mucho