Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 12:54 PM
Default Clothes with Marvelous Designer
Hello guys.

I was wondering if anyone is using Marvelous Designer to create clothes and if the answer is yes, could you please direct me to a Marvelous Designer tutorial I could use because I cannot find any relevant ones for this program.
I was searching through YouTube and Google and etc but I found it quite hard to come up with something that actually works. One tutorial I found that is specifically for Sims 3 clothes was this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhA...IE4ZPmCkZgdRaSR - but I am having problems with it when it comes to Blender as first the UVbody I am importing is for a female and I want to create male stuff and also because the tutorial is for a quite simple shirt and I was trying to create a hoodie so there are quite a lot parts of the mesh so when I import the UV body image, there is no place I could put all those parts - like it is shown in this tutorial.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Just to clarify - I am a complete newbie so I've been testing various programs to find which one works best for me and in terms of the actual clothing creation - MD is so easy ...
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 6:08 PM
Hi there!

I usually go search for some actual sewing patterns. In fact I bought some sewing magazines just for marvelous designer, since it's actually a program designed for people who work in the fashion industry to check out if it actually works. (their sewing patterns and if it looks okay, so it's not even designed for games at all, but lately some famous games have been using this program, with a mix of zBrush. It's really rare but I've seen it before, though it often happens that they'll choose zbrush over MD).
That being said, I should say one thing about the MD tutorials for ts3 out there...

Not all are that great... in fact I still need to find a MD tutorial for TS3 that has all the information that you need to know when creating clothing. They do give you a great idea of how the program works, how to work with TSRW and how the obj to WSO conversion works in Milkshape, but you have to do so much more in Milkshape instead of just import, change group name and export your mesh.

So you can follow this tutorial, I'd just watch this part to see what you got to do in Milkshape to get a pretty nice quality on your CC ^-^: https://youtu.be/44shiWla2PE

That being said, here is your answer on your Blender question.

That texture technique (with the shadow and the sims body) isn't really necessary at all! In fact I don't even use it. The reason is, because this tutorial shows that it is okay to keep the TS3 body under the clothing, which really ISN'T okay.

'But why? Most MD tutorials show me to keep it'.

Polycounts. Yes, high polycounts causes serious lagging in-game. Why? Rendering... The game needs to render all those little dots including the textures, all that together... yeah could cause lagging. So what you want to do is reducing the polycount in Milkshape of the clothing. And you want to it with the Tools> directxtools. Which sadly isn't shown in this tutorial.
What about the body? The body right under the clothing (So like say you have a shirt, short sleeved, you can easily delete the torso part, because the Ts3 body under your shirt doesn't even have a purpose to be right under there. and it will look pretty weird when your sim is doing certain actions, like bowing, etc).

Now it should be easier to place your UV map (or the clothing piece) on the UV map. Else you can add some parts at a spot EA made for, well anything not fitting the part at the sims 3 body:

See that small spot right under the left arm when looking at the 'top' (Yellow) area? That's also an area where you can place some of the not fitting UV map right there. If you have a full body mesh (which is likely the case if you made a dress, or something) you can also take advance of the bottom (green) space that's left.

That's about it! ^-^ Sorry for the long reply >-< Do let me know if you're confused about something, or not getting something to look okay!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 8:33 PM
Hello and thanks again for your answer (I've gotten my head into learning this stuff and you've answered all my questions here on previous threads - thank you for which - it is another question if I get it all though).

About Blender - I guess I have to watch a few other tutorials for UV mapping and stuff because honestly, Blender is the hardest part for me - this is why I always do exactly what is shown in the specific tutorial and again the end result is never what I expected it to be when watching the tutorial.

Okay so just to check if I have understood anything at all from what you said (I know, I'm sorry, I probably should have given up by know but I'm a Sagittarius and we are a bit stubborn). So about the body - after I've exported the design from MD, I shouldn't upload the body in Blender and Milkshape or I should just delete the part that is not used for the design- like you said in your example about the torso. And I'll definitely have a look at the video you've sent me - from first glance, I've noticed that I've watched all the parts from your series because I saw it's written they can also be used for MD but honestly - I wasn't sure where to begin from when the mesh is originally from MD and not Blender directly.

Just a quick question as I think you might have a relevant answer - I have noticed that people also used Maya for their designs. I personally haven't gotten to it yet but I wanted to ask if it is actually possible and maybe if it is on the same principle like MD - do it there, import in Milkshape, Blender and etc.

So I am sorry too for my long answer; I am not quite sure if I am making sense in what exactly am I asking - I am just still trying to learn. And I don't know why I am so wrapped around MD - maybe because it is quite easy to create the designs just with patterns.

Thank you very much again! Your tips are really helpful - at least those that I understand but I am sure the rest are just as good!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by serena91
Okay so just to check if I have understood anything at all from what you said (I know, I'm sorry, I probably should have given up by know but I'm a Sagittarius and we are a bit stubborn). So about the body - after I've exported the design from MD, I shouldn't upload the body in Blender and Milkshape or I should just delete the part that is not used for the design- like you said in your example about the torso. And I'll definitely have a look at the video you've sent me - from first glance, I've noticed that I've watched all the parts from your series because I saw it's written they can also be used for MD but honestly - I wasn't sure where to begin from when the mesh is originally from MD and not Blender directly.

Basically what i'm saying is this:

But yes, Blender is quite hard to understand at first, but I got to admit, personally, it was easier to get into knowing all Blender's basics and Maya was pretty hard to me, but in the end I'd choose maya over blender when it comes to meshing, since it's a bit more... well helpful in some ways.

Quote:
Just a quick question as I think you might have a relevant answer - I have noticed that people also used Maya for their designs. I personally haven't gotten to it yet but I wanted to ask if it is actually possible and maybe if it is on the same principle like MD - do it there, import in Milkshape, Blender and etc.

You can export it as a OBJ but keep in mind that your mesh could get HUGE if you don't export it correctly. I guess those MD tutorials do show the correct export settings. Then, since the polycount is pretty high, it could cause the 3D window to lag a bit, or (which happens to me sometimes) Crash Milkshape. So be careful with highpolycount meshes in Milkshape.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 11:45 AM
Тhank you very much for your answer.

I really appreciate the help.