Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 11:13 AM
Default Roll Those Dice! AKA, Let's Talk About Monopoly
Many have already read this when I posted it in the welcome thread (sorry about that), but this currently is my main hood.

I usually play a couple of hoods at a time. The first is my main hood and I keep that one going all the time. Currently, it is my totalitarian hood, Monopoly (the cool one based on the game), and one I rotate around monthly. Right now, it's Middleground which is meant to be just a regular hood with regular rules

Monopoly is the funniest hood I've played in a while (since the last one anyway). The rules are horrible and the goal is have Council control over every aspect of sims' lives. Their happiness is not a consideration.

It begins when a sim is created or moved from the homeless bin into a living space ordered by the Council. They can put a single sim into a mansion or huge family into a tiny apartment. It is completely arbitrary.

Marriages are also arbitrary and arranged by the Council. Sims might have a stranger show up at their door with a Council notice directing them to marry. Strangers are forced to room mates regarding of the size of their household.

Jobs are assigned. Sims are give their choice of three to five jobs. There is no waiting for a job that will suit the sim. If his desired occupation is on the list, then good. But otherwise they take what they get. And Jobs can NOT be changed (except for teens who must work but are free to browse jobs daily, if desired). Lazy sims can end up as athletes, though they aren't really good at it, pleasure sims can be assigned to work as scientists. It's all done by chance. And everyone must work. Books and paintings are lovely but must be done in spare time. Work is mandatory from teenage years to death.

Babies are awarded by lottery only. Anyone discovered with an unauthorized child will suffer extermination of the entire family (one is usually left alive to carry genetic material, which the Council thinks is important). Sometimes the baby is welcome. More often it is a trial of it's own, as the sim is forced to raise a child with a person he doesn't know. Elders are usually not thrilled with the prospect of raising a child in their declining years.
Taxes are 1/2 net worth (after 10, 000 sim deduction per legal member of household).

Midsummer's day is Purge Day. Pets are returned to adoption centers, elders are sent to their rewards, and other households are thinned according to the whimsy of the Council. It is an especially dangerous time because hidden children are sometimes discovered, leading to the extermination of the entire household.

Other infractions punished by extermination include, insanity and failure to have a job by work sweep (Fridays at 5:00 p.m.) New rules are prone to be instituted without notice.

A current example is my Spring family. The initial group was elder father, Nehemiah, his son, Colorado, Colorado's wife, Paisley, and their son, as well as kitty, Olympia. Colorado and Paisley wanted nothing more in this world than to have another child. But, instead the Council visited Nehemiah with the news that he was had won the baby lottery. Now, Nehemiah had no interest in having another child. His son was grown and he was a grandfather. But, nevertheless, a suitable donor was found (sometimes with elderly people, donor eggs and sperm are used), and little girl Tobit was delivered to him. Then, before the family could situate themselves with a new member (their house is rather small. Nehemiah was already housed in the living room), the Council notified him he had won the lottery again. So, along comes Judith, a son.

Bear in mind Colorado and Paisley have watched in sorrow as this has happened. There are babies in the house, yes, and that's great. But the babies don't belong to them. And Colorado and Paisley love each other in a world where birth control is forbidden. You can guess what happened.

The Council visited Nehemiah once again, and Job was born. An hour or so after Job was delivered, Paisley's worries got the better of her. She had suspected for some time that she was pregnant, but pregnancy tests are only given by hospitals, and are forbidden for civilians to own or use, so she had kept her worries to herself. But, she finally took a good look at herself in the mirror. Colorado scrounged furniture and appliances and walled her in their room.

The thing is if Nehemiah had been younger and forced to take a mate to help raise the child, the family could have hidden both women away until Paisley gave birth and then registered the child as his (Nehemiah's). It's been done before. But now, they have to hide the impending child until adulthood.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 1:39 PM
Oooh, poor sims! How do you decide what the council want? Do you have rules to determine this, or do you use a die roll?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 2:22 PM
I have rules OCD plays a big part in this as well because I don't have to roll dice; I just count using whatever number I have to use at that time.
The baby lottery depends upon how many people have died (not counting The Purge). Currently, I have three babies to award to families. They are awarded to the next family to come up in rotation. Babies are always awarded to head of household. That's how poor Nehemiah keeps ending up having to have children while his son and daughter in law are not allowed to. Mwahh ha ha.

Despite these draconian rules, my simmies are usually happy. I honestly can't figure out why.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 5:03 PM
Intriguing and a executed hood . I had something similar in my old hood, where there'd be two "breeders" with good genetics, and personality points that compounded well, and their offspring would be 'distributed' across the hood. I'm order to become a breeder, however, you had to cheat on your spouse, and be an adult.

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Link Ninja
#6 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:10 PM
Was this inspired by the 'giver' in anyway or 'brave new world'? It's truly a distopia of some sort XD

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 8:37 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 11th Apr 2017 at 8:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I've never interpreted Monopoly as a game of torture. Monopoly is more like a game of never-ending negotiations to fight for dominance in the corporate world and monopolize the market. I suppose the loser of the game will suffer a lot of torture, as in the OP's requirement of killing all Sims except one because of genetics. Though, when it comes to genetics, the OP has set up the game in a way to allow many population bottlenecks.

Monopoly is also a game of domination and control. Own enough of the board and rest of the players suffer with every roll of the dice.

Seriously, I just wanted to play the cool Monopoly hood I downloaded and had this idea for what I wanted to do in some hood at some time, so I ended up combining them.

I'm not worried about a shallow gene pool because I play with townies and premades as well as the ones I come up with (who tend to look....unusual).

And, Charmful, no it's not based on the Giver, Brave New World or any other dystopian scenerio. The initial idea came from the tv show, The 100. I was intrigued by the idea of strict population control and how that would play out in a world with ACR chance for baby turned up to 100, and a bunch of amorous sims. I first tried it out in my spaceship hood, Belladonna Cove, the first permanent floating neighborhood in the stars.

It was fun, but I found myself wondering just how far I could take the control thing....

Yeah, that probably doesn't say good things about me, does it?

Link Ninja
#8 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 9:39 PM
Ah ok. I've seen the first and some of the second season of the 100. It's a good show! That makes more sense. How do you terminate entire families that break the law? Is it a specific way and do you have a massive cemetery somewhere?? :P

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I have rules OCD plays a big part in this as well because I don't have to roll dice; I just count using whatever number I have to use at that time.
The baby lottery depends upon how many people have died (not counting The Purge). Currently, I have three babies to award to families. They are awarded to the next family to come up in rotation. Babies are always awarded to head of household. That's how poor Nehemiah keeps ending up having to have children while his son and daughter in law are not allowed to. Mwahh ha ha.

Despite these draconian rules, my simmies are usually happy. I honestly can't figure out why.

Your sims must appreciate your control, then! It sounds like an interesting way to play, totally different from how I play usually. This is what I love about the game! :lovestruc

Can't wait to see some pictures!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
Ah ok. I've seen the first and some of the second season of the 100. It's a good show! That makes more sense. How do you terminate entire families that break the law? Is it a specific way and do you have a massive cemetery somewhere?? :P

It sounds like you've watched about as much as I did. I enjoyed it when they were on the ship, but lost interest soon after the entire ships' population landed on the planet. I didn't help that I hate the actress who played what's her name's mother. But, it just wasn't as interesting to me once all the rules were dropped and they had to adapt to earth.

Even though I have killed off a lot of people at once, I usually just use the guillotine available on this site. One of the things I forgot to mention is that if a sim has the ability to cheat death and survives execution, the Council tends to become afraid of them. There are a lot of supernatural elements afoot in the hood and the Council tries to steer clear of gypsies and hoodoo. If a sim survives an execution, the Council assumes he is in league with the devil. They can't do enough for that family. Taxes are often suspended and the Council looks the other way on any extra children. Purge teams don't ever show up on the lot after that. The guillotine allows me to closely observe and make certain the sim is really dead, rather than assume a death only to see him roaming around a few minutes later.

Graves can be sent to the cemetery or, on large estates, placed with love in the backyard. Topaz Fugly had been raised as a hidden child and only moved back home after the death of all the other family members. There was a broken robot on the lot and the Council searched high and low for a family member to move back to the estate and fix or destroy the robot that was keeping them from taking the property back. He became fixated on the graveyard in the side of the house. Finally, he fashioned a makeshift bed out there. The very first time he saw one of their ghosts, he died of fright.

Simsample, I've never done anything remotely like this. I have a few themed hoods but mostly I just play and let my simmies have their wishes fulfilled.

Space Pony
#11 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 12:24 AM
I would love to see pics of your hood

I dont care is the hood looking stunning with all the bossible hood decorations available, or used any decor at all <3

I am curious about how other people play and absolutely love to see pics of their hoods/gameplay

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 1:44 PM
Urghh. I tried to reply yesterday, but the interwebs swallowed by response.

The Council thanks you for your interest in their lovely and perfect little country. Pictures are not available because, although the overseer can take pictures in game, she is too stupid to know how to take them out of the game and also how to upload them. It is probable we need a smarter overseer.

The best area in Monopoly to live is the Monopoly area itself. The houses there are nicer than the subhoods surrounding them. A citizen must earn the right to live there, and that right may be revoked at any time.

Ask the Sapphires. They were a promising family. They kept their jobs without complaint and procreated only when proscribed. They were, of course, a match made solely by the Council. The pair never met before their wedding.

Nevertheless, they never made enough money to pay their taxes. Year after year the Sapphires brought in substandard wages. They were unmotivated and undisciplined in their work. The Council tried giving them a room mate, and that was unsuccessful. Finally, we, the Council, removed them from their home and moved them into a more suitable habitat for someone of their limited income. We also provided them with quite a few room mates to help them pay their taxes.

Monopoly has quite a few shopping districts and three concentrated business districts.

The Council is pleased to report upon the C. Bell Family. Ms. Bell moved into the Monopoly area a few years ago. Some of the members of the Council balked a bit about her immigration claiming her paperwork looked dodgy and was, perhaps, forged. But, she became a valued citizen. She was paired with Faunus Goto and the two seem to be quite happy. They have been the lucky winners of the Baby Lottery an unprecedented four times, and thanks to their having quadruplets, now have now have seven children. Despite all those dependents, the family has cheerfully paid substantial taxes each year. They work hard at their jobs and have advanced appropriately.

Instructor
#13 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 4:37 PM
Thanks for the update smorbie1! In order to upload pictures, click 'upload image' then go into your "EA Ultimate Collecion" "neighborhoods folder" then click the neighborhood and open "story telling", finally click the image you need!
So, in essence:
1. Open advanced mode in comment mode.
2. Scroll down and click 'upload image'
3.Upon doing so, open your EA games folder in documents
4.Open Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (If you have it)
5. Open Neighborhoods folder
6. Open folder with the specific hood ID
7. Open "storytelling"
8. Click a pic and upload
I hope this helped, and you're definitely not stupid! (I remember not knowing how to start a thread )

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 5:39 PM
Wow! Thanks! that doesn't look hard at all. Now, I'll have to start taking some pics to share. Nobody make fun of my subhoods, though. I really can't decorate so I don't usually even try.

Theorist
#15 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 9:28 PM
What an interesting play-style.
I had fun reading it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 10:35 AM
Okay, I'm going to try AGAIN (told you I' stupid) to upload some pictures of one of my fams.

This is Violet Clovenhoof.

Well, once again I've done something wrong. I located the thumbnail and tried to upload it, but now it's telling me it doesn't exist. Darn, her's is a cute story, too.

Space Pony
#17 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 1:04 AM
@smorbie1 , I have no idea what is going on but try this,
go and browse at your storytelling, find the pic you want to share (do NOT choose the "thumbnail", there is also a same picture named as "snapshot"),
choose the later, right click and press "copy" (or anything related, depends at your language) .
Then close the window (or go straight at desktop wiev), in there at any empty spot right ckick again and choose "paste".
Now the pic should be at your desktop, and then do all the steps Emperor Crat said , exept when you click the "Upload Image" , browse the one at your desktop

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Field Researcher
#18 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 7:48 PM
This is so funny in a sick sort of way! It seems like you're having fun with the experiment. I hope you'll be able to post some pictures; I'd enjoy seeing the faces that go with these poor citizens.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 7:27 AM
Your game sounds interesting smorbie1. Hopefully you can get some pictures uploaded sometime, I like looking at other people's sims.

Totally different from the more or less Anarchist way I play my game.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.