Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 5:08 PM
my firewall prevents me from downloading these programs, but could anyone take the trouble to create some crescent shaped amityville horror windows for the sims 2?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#27 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 5:11 PM
Presumably your firewall will be quite happy with those?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#28 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 5:13 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 11th Dec 2005 at 5:18 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by thebiggreentree
my firewall prevents me from downloading these programs, but could anyone take the trouble to create some crescent shaped amityville horror windows for the sims 2?

Requests belong to the Requests forums . I also seem to recall someone requesting those windows there some time ago.

Also, you don't necessarily need to download the tutorial, it's posted fully in the first post of this topic. Which programs do you have trouble downloading? Could you maybe change your firewall settings for the moment you download the programs?
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 10:06 AM
Oh it's alright now, I managed to find some on TSR, thanks (And for some reason I can't seem to find the requests forum on this site) Thanks for your help.
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#30 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 1:02 PM
To find the Request forums, look at the top panel for a section called "Requests" .
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 10:34 PM
I have this problem ... I cloned a window and a door ( an they work fine ) but they have replaced the original window and door ... what did I do wrong ???

ps: owesome tutorial. GREAT WORK and thanks for sharing it.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by temptress
I have this problem ... I cloned a window and a door ( an they work fine ) but they have replaced the original window and door ... what did I do wrong ???

ps: owesome tutorial. GREAT WORK and thanks for sharing it.

I think that happens when the clone is still using the GUID's of the original. Your window has to have GUID's that are unique to it.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
I think that happens when the clone is still using the GUID's of the original. Your window has to have GUID's that are unique to it.

OK, I GOT IT, THANKS A BUNCH
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#34 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 5:16 AM
Thank you, Mage, for helping out . Yes, things like getting new GUIDs was not mentioned in the tutorial because it was assumed that people who'd follow this tutorial had already gone through a beginners' object tutorial that would explain basic steps like that. I still recommend you go through something like JWoods' object tutorial just to make sure you're getting all the important basic information about creating objects .
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 5:32 AM
Hello again ... I have a problem with diagonal windows ( and doors ) :gonemad: … I followed your tutorial and numenor’s “ Linking straight and diagonal objects ”
but when I try to use the diagonal window says “can’t be placed in diagonal walls ” or something like that …
http://upload.modthesims2.com/attac...id=267595&stc=1
I’ll upload my window here … if anyone would like to check it out and tell me how to fix it... ill be really happy
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  window straight+diagonal.rar (63.3 KB, 23 downloads)
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#36 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 5:55 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:29 PM.
temptress, I'll take a look at the window when I get the chance, but before that, are you sure you don't have the moveobjects cheat on? Which window did you clone, by the way?

Edited to add: I just ran into a problem with SimPE and I can't run the program at all. I will take a look your window as soon as I get it running again.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#37 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 4:09 PM
temptress,

here's your fixed package back
you had one line wrong in the object data linking the two windows
they seem to be working fine for me now
Attached files:
File Type: zip  temptress-fixed.zip (73.6 KB, 25 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
temptress,

here's your fixed package back
you had one line wrong in the object data linking the two windows
they seem to be working fine for me now

THANK YOU SO MUCH Lethe_s ... :bandit: YOU ROCK !!! :dance:
Instructor
#39 Old 11th May 2006 at 4:03 PM
Great tutorial and i like the window. can you upload the window?

Unauthorized incoming post!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#40 Old 12th May 2006 at 4:44 AM
The window you see in the tutorial? No, I don't think it exists anymore, I just used it as an example. But it's a very simple shape and it's easy to recreate if you want to give it a try .
Instructor
#41 Old 12th May 2006 at 8:47 PM
yes i hope you can recrate it and upload it
i love the window :D

Unauthorized incoming post!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#42 Old 12th May 2006 at 8:50 PM
Oh, I think you misunderstood, I'm not planning on recreating it myself, but if you or someone else feels like doing that, feel free . I didn't like the window enough myself to keep or upload it.
Test Subject
#43 Old 23rd May 2006 at 1:34 AM Last edited by Schoende : 23rd May 2006 at 2:58 AM.
Default My problem (allready fixed myself) and a shadow trick for not rectangular objects
At first my problem:
I followed the steps in the tutorial the best I could, I can get my new window on a wall (diagonal and straight). But there is one little problem I get this gap at the top of my wall... I tried redoing my wallmasks a thousend times (looks like that is the problem) but it did not work so: how can I get it away???

problem area:
http://upload.modthesims2.com/attac...id=299443&stc=1

*EDIT*

Fix:
If you have updated all sizes check the smaller verions too if there is no unwanted transperency... if there is just export that size and make the transparent area white and import. Don't update all sizes (you'll have the same problem then again).

*END OF EDIT*

And now the trick for not rectangular shadows...
It's very easy to do so I'll be quick in this. Just make your UV for the wallshadow mesh rectangular it works great. And make the spaces of your mesh bigger then they really are (so you can get the right oppacity from the center to the edge)... hope this helps and is not useless information... (if it is tell me I'll delete it at once then :P)

pics about this:
mesh:
http://upload.modthesims2.com/attac...id=299444&stc=1

and the UV map for the mesh above:
http://upload.modthesims2.com/attac...id=299445&stc=1

*EDIT*

Ohw before I forget THNX for the nice tutorial
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#44 Old 23rd May 2006 at 4:40 AM
The better way to import textures is to use the DDS Utilities. Install them, and make sure in SimPE Preferences it points to the right folder. Then, when you import a texture, when you right-click choose "Build DXT" instead of "Import". Do no "update all sizes", just click Commit. Using the DDS Utilities should avoid the unwanted gaps along the borders of texture images.
Test Subject
#45 Old 24th May 2006 at 9:52 PM
what kind of file shall I import to milkshape 3D?
Nothing work. please help

visit my new need for speed underground 2 clan site at
HTML Code:
www.fafclan.tk
enjoy :D also visit my other cheat forums at
HTML Code:
thepunkcheats.forumup.com
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#46 Old 24th May 2006 at 9:57 PM
As an OBJ file.

When you export the original window mesh from SimPE, click the Export button and save as the default file type, and then import as an OBJ into Milkshape.

If you have no previous experience on object making, I recommend a beginner tutorial. This tutorial doesn't explain all those steps in detail because this is meant for creators who already know the basics .
Test Subject
#47 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 8:23 PM
Default Missing glass
I have a problem I don't understand. I've followed your tutorial on how to make custom windows step by step, and everything worked out fine until I took a walk around my new window : on one side there is a glass, on the other side there isn't... Any suggestions ?!

BTW, excellent tuturial !

Greetzzzz.
Screenshots

"Life itself is not very interesting, it's the people you meet that make life interesting"
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#48 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 8:31 PM
Looks like the glass mesh on one side of the window is missing. Just like you need a frame on both sides of the wall, you also need the glass on both sides, since only one side of a mesh is visible.
Test Subject
#49 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 8:16 AM
That's what it looks like, indeed. Only, the mesh is not missing, or - at least - I did import an adjusted mesh... I'll retry the entire cloning procedure tonight and I'll let you know if the problem still remains.

I have yet another question, but I'm not sure you'll be able to give me an answer : Is it possible to have the wall above the window accept other objects (without the 'MoveObjects' cheat) ? It would be nice to hang a painting or mirror above it...

"Life itself is not very interesting, it's the people you meet that make life interesting"
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#50 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 9:38 AM
If the glass mesh is not missing, then it's probably inverted (with the faces pointing to the wrong direction, so that both glasses face the same way, and the other side is invisible). Try inverting the faces of one of your glass meshes. I usually make the faces of the glass point to the same direction as the frame is pointing.
Page 2 of 5