Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#126 Old 4th Apr 2005 at 8:44 PM
Raquelcesar, though keeping both beds (or two inter-related objects) in the same package might be a great idea, it's impossible to do: the different Object data files, the text lists and some other files in the 0xFFFFFFFF group will conflict...
But yours is a good point; maybe we can think of an intermediate solution: link both bed frames to an original bed. Or we could even make each bed version have its own custom textures, but in this case who have both versions should remember to recolour both of them

As for the bedding, I think that we all agree on the necessity of keeping it linked to the double colonial bed. The less experienced users will have no problems, anyway, because if you try and recolour a "linked" object, SimPE automatically creates a recolour for the "master" object (i.e. if you create a recolour for the new custom bed bedding, SimPE will actually create a recolour for the double colonial bedding: the user won't even realize it...).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Mesh Maestro
#127 Old 4th Apr 2005 at 8:52 PM
OMG... Kick me twice!! Please excuse my ignorance, I never thought to check if you were male or female...

Please except my apology..
Field Researcher
#128 Old 4th Apr 2005 at 9:00 PM
It's fine. No problemo. However, I take back some of what I said in the last post. Thinking about what raquelcesar said it makes more sense to have completely independant recolour packages (and therefore to try to get the frame to refer to it's own specific texture) because (forget the considerations of space saving - there will be duplicated recolour packages in our downloads folder if we want matching single and double beds)

because at some point everyone will have more of their own remeshed beds and those they downloaded than all the maxis put together and, if were all referencing our bed textures to the colonial or any of the maxis originals we'll have rheims of recolours that can be chosen but will be wrong, wrongly mapped.

Independant frame textures. Linked bedding textures. Are we all coming to this conclusion?
Test Subject
#129 Old 5th Apr 2005 at 2:39 PM
Default New mesh overwrites maxis original color options..
I have tried doing this a dozen times in different ways, still having the same result:
I am working with the latest SimPE version [34].
Object cloned : Baroccoco Loveseat
I have followed the tutorial to the dot.
The new mesh shows up lovely, with re-coloring abilities. Problem is is has the maxis color options for original disappear. Is it because it's part of a set with the sofa, and is there a way to correct this?
I will be so grateful if I can solve this. I need a loveseat to accomodate 2 objects to get the wanted result .
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#130 Old 5th Apr 2005 at 6:54 PM
The loveseats are all linked to the respective sofas, and borrow their texture.
What version of SimPE have you used? Current version 0.34 lets you clone a "linked" object creating a stand-alone object (not linke any more): to do so, you have to check the "Create stand-alone object" option before cloning.
Field Researcher
#131 Old 5th Apr 2005 at 7:07 PM
It is probably because the Loveseat borrows the textures from the sofa. I'm looking at the fix integrity screen for the loveseat and, while most of the references are loveseatartnouveau and anything to do with the fabric is looking at sofaartnouveau. Is the frame using the maxis frame recolours and the fabric not?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#132 Old 6th Apr 2005 at 8:13 AM
Yes, the fabric is borrowed from the sofa, while the frame is internal.

In general, in order to know which textures are borrowed and which are internal, you can look at the GMND, into the tsMaterialsMeshName: in this case, you can read: "Fabric (String) = sofaartnouveau", and this means that the fabric (and only it) is borrowed from the sofaartnuveaus. If a subset is *not* listed in the tsMaterials block (or the block doesn't even exist), then its textures are internal to the package.
Test Subject
#133 Old 6th Apr 2005 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
The loveseats are all linked to the respective sofas, and borrow their texture.
What version of SimPE have you used? Current version 0.34 lets you clone a "linked" object creating a stand-alone object (not linke any more): to do so, you have to check the "Create stand-alone object" option before cloning.

Thank you so much for the response.
I am using the 34 version and I have done it with stand alone, but the weird thing is: With the one loveseat clone, only one texture file instead of 2 was available.

Then I use "draw all textures" method, it cloned fine. In game it shows up with color options for the cloned object but orinal objects is then drained from color options. I have tried with 2 different loveseat meshes, same thing happens each time. When I pull only default, it clones without color options. when I pull all textures, the clone shows up with color options.
In both methods the original object is then without color options
Instructor
#134 Old 6th Apr 2005 at 8:03 PM
Okay, I asked this on the SimPE forum but no one seemed to know. I have a feeling this is a question for Numenor, but if anyone else knows please jump in and let me know.

I'm trying to find out how to make a clone of a Maxis object that is not normally color enabled (without CEP) to accept recolors. Neither this process in this thread nor the process A in the old thread helps.

In the old thread, Numenor stated:

Quote:
Note: if the "tsDesignModeEnabled" block *doesn't exist*, then you can quit here: your object can't have colour options.

But I know some of those types of objects have been enabled with CEP and also in other instances (for example the bunnybear). How would I go about doing that? Specfically, the object I am trying to enable color options for is a clone of the Maxis cheap "Moneywell" computer.

Could I possibly just yank out the parts in CEP that apply to that computer and change the reference names accordingly and insert them into my file?

Also does anyone know how to get the mouse animated like Maxis does? I tried exporting the old mesh and importing the new with both Meshtool (which I'm told destroys animations) and Wes H's plugin (which I'm told in some circumstances preserves animation). Neither has worked and the mouse is part of the same mesh as the computer so I don't think I could separate them out without lots of headaches and hassles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and BTW Numenor, the SimPE site is down for me now for some reason so if you already answered me there since the last time I looked (last night) then I apologize for posting the questions again here.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#135 Old 6th Apr 2005 at 9:10 PM Last edited by Numenor : 6th Apr 2005 at 9:12 PM.
Motoki, when you clone an object, SimPE doesn't pull the original GMND, but the CEP one; you can check this by opening the GMND in the cloned object and look at the blocklist: in the CEP GMND the last block is "copyright".
If you find the copyright block, then the clone is already colour enabled (i.e. there is a tsDesignModeEnabled block). You only have to be sure that while re-meshing the object you don't alter the original "model" structure in the GMDC (= keep the same number and names of the original meshes).

The CEP GMND is pulled (instead of the original Maxis one) if:
- you have the CEP installed
- you haven't deleted the reference to the download folder in the "folder.xml" file, located in SimPE\Data folder.

Since almost *all* the objects are already colour enabled (originally by Maxis or via the CEP), basically you never need to manually enable colour options for your clones.

Anyway, you are right: if you extract the right GMND from the _EnableColorOptionsGMND.package and the right MMATs from _EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package (located in the gamedir\Sims 3D folder), you can add them to your package.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Instructor
#136 Old 7th Apr 2005 at 1:01 PM
Hmm, okay that makes sense. I think the problem is I am working off a clone originally made by someone else and modifying it, so maybe he didn't have CEP installed. I will try to reclone it, I didn't think to do that.

Grazie!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#137 Old 7th Apr 2005 at 5:02 PM
Prego!
In these cases (when you work on a clone by another user) I always suggest to re-clone the original. You can then extract and reimport in your package the custom meshes (or the whole GMDC, if you want to keep the animations) and the custom textures, checking that the original models structure is respected.

Field Researcher
#138 Old 7th Apr 2005 at 8:06 PM
Hi Numenor it's me again back with troubles from my little world I live in.

Right anyway I made this plant it's a maxis original with the pot changed. But, it uv maps annoyingly and doesn't show the dam pot. I figured this is the right place to ask this? Anyway I shall attach the .obj file so someone may be able to fix it. Anyways if you do please make a template of bright colours or complete it by leaving the leaves texture and putting in a wood texture for the pot.

Thanks!!

(Btw I have put it through 3 uv mappers with the same results )
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SimplyModernPlant.rar (27.2 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#139 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 8:45 AM
I'm sorry, but UV map is not my specialty... Maybe JWoods?
Anyway, it's easier for you to create a template: the UV mapping programs usually have an option to output a texture with the mesh unfolded on it.
Field Researcher
#140 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 9:20 AM Last edited by TheSims2Master : 8th Apr 2005 at 10:02 AM.
Ok thanks anyway, but if you do, what uv mapper have you been using?

Right now I am also stuck uv mapping the stairs that I made except this time it says "numeric problem" and if I unfold instead of project it shows absolutely nothing even when you scroll out for 5 minutes lol. Again can someone come along and be a god/dess for me and help uv map this as I am making an absolutely huge set with items from all around the rooms and I justb wanna get as many objects as I can done in a day.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SimplyModernStairs.rar (28.1 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Mesh Maestro
#141 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 4:47 PM
I am sorry, for some odd reasons my subscription to this thread wasn't working... TS2M I will take a look at your obj. files for you... I'll be back in a while...
Mesh Maestro
#142 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 5:24 PM Last edited by JWoods : 29th May 2005 at 4:11 AM. Reason: edit screen shot
I have attached a file with your 2 .obj files fixed and two Maps to color...

I converted the maps to PNG and also to RGB color mode...

I use UVMapper Classic (http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html) and/or Lithunwrap (I do not think it is free anymore just the Demo)

In this case I used UVMapper Classic.

below are a few screen shots to look at to show the short process...

For the tree I used "planner" UV, For the stairs I used "Box" UV.

A few things to keep in mind when using a U.V. mapping program...

Make sure you save the obj. file.

Make sure you save your texture map and resize to a size divisible by 2 like in the game packages...
(IE: 256*128, 1024*1024, 64*512)

Last point... Make sure the first thing you do when you bring a new map into your paint program is to change the color mode to "RGB".

Tip* DDS format is what I normally use, I find the quality to be very good.
Screenshots

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Test Subject
#143 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 6:42 PM
I don't know if it the good place to ask my question... I would like that my object must be recolorable, but I do not how in SimPE to do that ? Someone can help me ? Thanks,
Marianne.
Mesh Maestro
#144 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 7:00 PM
This is the place... refer to the first page and read the tutorial... If you have questions we will try and answer them as best we can....
Test Subject
#145 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 7:09 PM
Oops sorry I don't see it... I am looking , thanks
Marianne.
Mesh Maestro
#146 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 8:07 PM
Default typo
Quote: Originally posted by wallsims
Oops sorry I don't see it... I am looking , thanks
Marianne.

Here you go this will take you to page #1...

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showt...99&page=1&pp=25

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Test Subject
#147 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 5:14 PM
The problem that I have, my object work perfectly in game, I check the geometric node to make them recolorable, but it do not work ... I do not how to do ?

Marianne
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#148 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 7:42 PM
If you have followed this tutorial correctly, you should already have a colour-enabled object (the main point of this tutorial is choosing a recolourable object as a base for your clone).
Are you sure you haven't altered the name of the Models in the GMDC?
Use this troubleshoot guide to spot the problem, and be careful not to confuse Geometry Nodes (GMND) and Geometry Data Container (GMDC).
Test Subject
#149 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 12:10 AM
Okay, I got to the point of right before choosing the GMDC, but choosing that isn't an option for me. I just downloaded the newest version. Is this the problem?
Test Subject
#150 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 12:20 AM
Okay, I got to the point of right before choosing the GMDC, but choosing that isn't an option for me. I just downloaded the newest version. Is this the problem?
Page 6 of 15