Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 9:10 PM
Default [moved] Architect's Challenge
I'd like to issue an informal challenge to all site architects.

Heres the challenge.

Use no cheats, no hacking, and create a game flow positive, architecturally creative 1 to 2 sim unit.

The house itself must fall under 20,000 simoleons fully furnished and be more interesting than the game stock siding and slatboard starter houses in Pleasantview.

By fully furnished I mean that all basic Sim needs are fully accounted for at the time of lot purchase.

Post screenshots of yours when you're done. I'd like to see what some folks come up with.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 10:12 PM
Fully furnished for under s20K and interesting sounds pretty hard

I've yet to come up with anything interesting for under s60K unfurnished
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 11:16 PM
Heres my first example...it weighs in at under 20k at a total of $19,326

Its more interesting looking than the cardboard hut stock houses Maxis threw in as under 20k prefabs...and its functionally furnished to support 1 - 2 Sims in their basic needs.

Here is the front view.

$19,326 Simoleons Front

Here is the floor plan.

$19,326 Simoleons Floor Plan

Let me further add that I did this with using a foundation, none of the Maxis stock under 20k houses uses one. And it has a good sized back deck as well.
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 8:12 AM
Under 20k is actually more easy than you'd think nightspore. Some people at a different site did this same thing (sub 20k house) and on my entry I couldn't find enough to put in my house.

If you're going to make something for this, I'd recommend using a 2x2 block rather than the 3x2 block that seems to be the smallest you can create. There are a few 2x2 blocks in the default towns already, you can just bulldoze the house that is on them and use it. This will drop about 1k or so off the price of your house.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 11:02 AM
I would rather see two different challenges.

One is under 20k.

The other is anything above 20k.

I am currently building a house, which is a way over 20k.

The land itself costs 15k .... keke ....

Yes you guess it. It is 5x5.

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 11:17 AM
great! that's the spirit! i go and build one tonight..
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by freeham82
Under 20k is actually more easy than you'd think nightspore. Some people at a different site did this same thing (sub 20k house) and on my entry I couldn't find enough to put in my house.

Well, after having looked at a few sub-20K houses, I've noticed the major difference is that I have a tendency to use expensive stuff (lights, doors/windows, kitchen & bathroom fixtures, etc.) mostly because the expensive stuff just looks so much better...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 2:36 PM
Furniture is a large portion of balancing the costs yes.

The idea for the sub 20k house is to build something with more square footage than the stock houses, that has more architectural individuality than the tiny Maxis stock sub 20k houses.

Basically a great starter house for a new Sim...that is big enough to handle their needs while they better their furniture through actually...umm...playing the game without cheats.

rofl.
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 3:51 PM
I already made this which is in the downloads section
http://www.modthesims2.com/e107_files/public/starterhome.jpg

for me that's enough. Maybe if I get inspiration I'll build another one, but usually my ideas cost lots more
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 24th Oct 2004 at 1:03 AM
2x2 lot? HOW?! WHERE?! I only get 2x3, 3x3, 3x4, 3x5, 4x4, 4x5, and 5x5...?! TELL! LoL...please?!
Test Subject
#11 Old 24th Oct 2004 at 8:26 AM
Heres my submission. Small effective house. Not alot of walk time. Covers all needs and skills. Final cost 18,232

<span class='smalltext'>[http://www.modthesims2.com/e107_files/public/1346_20k_challenge_home.jpg ][/i]
[ Edited Sun Oct 24 2004, 12:28AM ]
Test Subject
#12 Old 24th Oct 2004 at 3:56 PM
Here's what i've come up with, name of the house is "Cheapo Modernos" and i took the price limit almost to the edge, 19 998 simoleons fully furnished =) well nah, that's not even close yet... Btw the plain house itself was around 12-13 000 simoleons

I posted the house in the downloads section, it should be available soon for everyone to "enjoy"

Some screenies
> Overview 1 <
> Overview 2 <
> Inside <

[ Edited Sun Oct 24 2004, 08:14AM ]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Oct 2004 at 4:27 PM
Wow those are great guys. Very nicely done.
Instructor
#14 Old 25th Oct 2004 at 8:02 PM
VERY nice entries here! :D

Duud, I want your house! !amazed

Is it uploaded already?
[ Edited Mon Oct 25 2004, 12:07PM ]
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Oct 2004 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
VERY nice entries here! :D

Duud, I want your house! !amazed

Is it uploaded already?

thanks and sorry, it doesn't seem to be available in the downloads section yet... %-6
Instructor
#16 Old 25th Oct 2004 at 9:34 PM
Bah! I'll wait then! *g*
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th Oct 2004 at 12:26 PM
My house is now in the downloads section..

Come on people, show us more houses! more more more!
Instructor
#18 Old 26th Oct 2004 at 2:02 PM
WOHOO ... I mean ... WOOT!

I'm downloading it right now, let's see if its as good as it looks! *g*
Test Subject
#19 Old 26th Oct 2004 at 9:29 PM
Well, it don't fit the rules, but I'd like to hear your opinions. 8-)

http://www.nightmaregate.de/sims2/float1.jpg
http://www.nightmaregate.de/sims2/float2.jpg

It's impractical, because it has no walls. (Except the small room on top to place your toilet in. 8-) ) And it took some time to get the mail.

Do Sims fall to death?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Oct 2004 at 9:37 PM
You're right thats incredibly impractical...but a very interesting display of experimentation. Could likely evolve that into a flying saucer house or something along that lines with some creative wall/window work.
[ Edited Tue Oct 26 2004, 01:38PM ]
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 2nd Nov 2004 at 1:29 PM
I did a house, super small...barely enough for 1 sim, cannot hav parties... may not fufill motives, not participating in challenges.... jus opened new thread bout dis. It is even below 10k.... got river all over!
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies