Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 2:39 PM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 18th Aug 2014 at 9:22 PM.
Default Sunset Valley Home Makeover Contest
Sunset Valley Home Makeover Contest

Qualifications to Host:

Judged in “Groundwork: A TS3 Foundation Challenge”, participant in “Build a Business”.

Concept:
Similar to The Sims 2 counterpart, four families are moving to Sunset Valley that need their home decorated for them within their limited budget.

Rules:

Each round you need to post at least ten pictures of the home you redecorated. You may take no more than fifteen however, and please keep all but your first picture underneath the “spoiler tag.” It’s also required that you include a shot of the lot value somewhere in one of your pictures; this can be cut and pasted, if you wish.
• This is a Sims 3 contest only
• Only free custom content. Content that you paid for from the official "Sims 3 Store" may be used, however.
• Pictures should be large and clear within MTS guidelines.
• Photoshopping is prohibited. This is a decorating focused challenged, not a photography one.
• Exterior or interior walls may not be changed. However, adding or removing half walls or stages is permitted.
• Doors and windows can be replaced but not moved or deleted. For example, if you have a one tile window, it can only be replaced by a different one tile window in the same spot. Same applies to doors.
• The same applies to stairs; they can be replaced but not moved or deleted. They may be added, however.
• Adding and removing fencing is permitted.
• Pools can be added or removed. Remember, there is a budget and adding pools can be very expensive.
• Only the texture and slope/height of the roof may be changed.
• Editing the terrain is permitted. You may also add plants and rocks. Reasonably sized ponds may be added, as well.
• Driveways may be added, garages are may not.
• You can add a fireplace, but moving or deleting an existing one is prohibited.
• No changes may be made to foundation
• Columns may be replaced with a different one, but not deleted. They may be added, however.

Requirements:
• All skill levels are welcome, including beginners.
• Commitment; please don’t sign up for Round 1 if you know you won’t be able to follow through until the end. There are limited spots available, please leave them to those that really want them.
• A basic knowledge of taking good in-game photos.

Round 1 - Completed

Round 1 Scores

Round 2 - Completed

Cozy Craftsman - 28 Sim Lane

Round 2 Scores

Round 3 - Completed

Condor Museum Lofts - 280 Sunnyside Blvd.

Round 3 Scores

Round 4 – In Progress

Wagner's Repose - 250 Redwood Pkwy

Rule exceptions:

For this round, and this round only, there a few rule exceptions.

*Being able to replace the fireplace with one of the same size
*Being able to remove walls around fireplace only on the exterior.
*Can replace the arches that block the staircase on the top floor with windows
* Up to 20 pictures; 10 minimum

Round 4 Scores

Timeline:

Each round is two weeks. The next round will start within 48 hours of the end of the last one. Judges are expected to have their scores within 72 hours of the end of the round.
Submissions will be accepted until the next round ends; you will be docked 1 point for each day you’re late.

Judges:

Although we have three judges, I'll still accept an emergency judge at any point just to be safe.

Judge 1Judge 2Judge 3Emergency Judge
malibibicKattenijinDiwtayBlakeS5678

Scoring:

Total Score: 20 points X 3 judges = 60 points (65 with bonus room)
• Decorating - 10 points: Is everything decorated well, overall? Does the color palette make sense? Does the overall design flow nicely?
• Suitable for family – 5 points: Does this fit what the family asked for? Is there enough space for everyone? Does it represent their style well?
• Furniture Placement – 5 points: Can Sims walk through this home well? Is it livable for a Sim family? Is the furniture placed nicely?

Bonus Room – 5 points: If you can accommodate the “bonus room” you will receive five extra points on the total score.

Budget - One point will be taken off the total score for every $1,000 over budget.

Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
The budget total is whatever the original "Unfurnished" price is, plus whatever money is allotted to them.

For example:

Taking Round 1, which unfurnished is $17,869 plus the Smith's family budget of $55,000 means that the end furnished value can be no more than $72,869.

I hope that makes sense.

You also will be docked 1 point for each place a rule is broken. These include:

• Changing walls
• Deleting or moving fireplaces
• Adding, moving, or deleting doors, windows, or foundation
• Changing anything other than the roof’s texture or height/slope

The Families:

The Smith Family – Budget – $55,000 John and Jenny are convinced that their soulmates and couldn’t be closer together. As newlyweds they don’t need much space as it will only be the two of them. They love the idea of a traditional, cozy home.

Bonus room: Jenny has been feeling kind of nauseous lately, could she be pregnant? Create a nursery for a baby for the bonus room.

The Martinez Family - Budget - $75,000 - The Martinez are a big family! Juan and Maria have two kids and with another one on the way, they’re certainly going to need a new house. They have a teenage son as well as a nine year old daughter. The Martinez family would like a taste of home in their house, so they have requested a Spanish themed home.

Bonus room: Turns out that Maria is having twins! Accommodate a twin sized nursery.

The Adams Family – Budget - $65,000 – The Adams are a pale couple with an… “alternative” teenage daughter. They love everything dark and gothic, so make sure to include that theme in their home.

Bonus room: Are the Adams vampires? Include a dark lair that could include… a coffin, perhaps?

The Anderson-Miller Family – Budget – $70,000 Dirk and John are an unlikely couple but they’re certainly in love, they even adopted their darling daughter Kelly two years ago. Dirk loves sports and the gym while John would prefer to snuggle up with a good book. One thing that they can agree on though, is that they love modern architecture almost as much as they love their toddler daughter.

Bonus room: Create a library/den for John to escape his hectic life, and find some tranquility in his favorite literature.

Contestants:

Since the judges can only score so much there will be limited space. I'll accept up to 25 contestants.

#ContestantRound 1ScoreRound 2ScoreRound 3ScoreRound 4ScoreFinal
1cutsockslink61link62link59.5link56238.5
2zenomialink37link45N/A0N/A082
3LucyBorgialink52link52link51.5link47202.5
4bellakenobilink57link48link45.5link53203.5
5TookaChanlink39N/A0N/A0N/A039
6sandymdhlink58link58link62link52230
7Jaylolink52link53N/A0N/A0105
8BulldogFan82link43link53link43N/A0139
9kasandrolink61link62link62link53.5238.5
10TMBrandonlink49N/A0link20.5N/A069.5
11tsyokawelink56.5link44.5link53.5link51205.5
12msnikki82link49.5N/A0N/A0N/A049.5
13Mamathululink52link55link50.5link37194.5
14xphantomhivelink37.5link44link44.5N/A0126
15kadiencelink37link38link29N/A0104
16Japalion9link36N/A0N/A0N/A036
17cherry4567link39.5link45N/A0N/A084.5
18clairebear2003link37N/A0N/A0N/A037
19tiffisiolink46.5link37link53link39175.5
20KDrwenskilink63link48link46link51218
21swim5408link36link47N/A0N/A036
22Fenisalink52link34link54.5link0140.5
23beautysimmer9538link45N/A0N/A0N/A045
24OhMindful1link42link43link60link59.5204.5
25Tiraslinlink61link57.5link54.5link61234

"Play-alongs"Round 1Round 2Round 3Round 4
StardustXlinklinkN/AN/A
tigerguy87linkN/AN/AN/A
devil_suelinklinklinkN/A
aeval99linkN/AN/AN/A
pingpati123linklinkN/AN/A
LoonyLoonyLaceylinkN/AN/AN/A
DiwtaylinklinkN/AN/A

How to apply:

Download the Round 1 file and choose a family. Decorate to your hearts content. Then, when you're done, post between ten and fifteen of your best pictures here under spoiler tags. Make sure at least one is an overhead shot or "bird's eye view."

Other notes:

The Round files will always be up to the latest patch, 1.67 I believe.

On installing library files, a blurb from heaven in the "Trading Spaces - TS2/TS3" contest forum.

Quote: Originally posted by heaven
TS3 Library Files:
Library files are a great way of sharing your lot. When you save a lot to the bin, the game creates a package file in your Library folder. Of course, it gives it a really random name of a string of letters and numbers so make sure to check your Library folder after saving it (sort by date created to make things easier) and rename the file right away so you remember which one it is! You can share this lot, just like you would a sims3pack. The downloader would just install the lot by placing the file in their Library folder, rather than installing a sims3pack through the launcher. These files are great for a couple of reasons: 1) no launcher (for sure!), 2) less chance of rogue CC attaching and 3) for library files, patch level doesn't matter. So, someone at patch 1.67 could give me a lot that I, at patch 1.63, could install without an issue. If anyone is concerned or wary of joining this contest due to not being fully patched, library files should allow you to join just fine!

I'd like to ask that everyone competing on the TS3 side include your library file, instead of or along with the sims3pack from here on out. If you've already uploaded a shell, please just hang on to that library file, on the off chance that your partner might need them. This will make getting participants a little easier. I've personally refused to patch to 1.67 (RIMP (rest in modding peace) twallan) and I would hate to be restricted from participating, if I had the time, just because of my patch level.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Round 1.rar (806.2 KB, 231 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Round 2.rar (1.78 MB, 74 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Round 3.rar (1.90 MB, 50 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Round 4.rar (2.33 MB, 46 downloads) - View custom content

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 2:39 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 4:29 PM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 17th Jun 2014 at 10:23 PM.
Hi everyone, just checking in.

Edit: I hope this contest has some takers!

Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 10:10 PM
BlakeS5678, I've downloaded the file and opened the zipped file as usual and put in my Sims 3 library, but it doesn't show up when I go into game I'm not sure why as the file shows in the library when I look in my documents?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyBorgia
BlakeS5678, I've downloaded the file and opened the zipped file as usual and put in my Sims 3 library, but it doesn't show up when I go into game I'm not sure why as the file shows in the library when I look in my documents?

(*silently cheers about first post*)

Hm, I'm not sure why that would happen. Try restarting the game perhaps? In any case, would it be possible for you to create a new Sunset Valley world? You can find the lot that way and it'll work just the same. I really hope your problem is quickly resolved. Always feel free to ask me more questions.

Edit: Oh, and on another note, I'm still looking for judges. I don't bite, I promise!

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 11:23 PM
I WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!!! is July first the judging the first or start, what do you mean by unfinished, and is the house that is pictured the house we have to edit?
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by keepsims
I WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!!! is July first the judging the first or start, what do you mean by unfinished, and is the house that is pictured the house we have to edit?

*July 1st is when you have to have your entry in by.

*The round is unfinished as in not everyone has their entries in yet

*Yes, the picture posted is the house you have to edit.

I'm glad you're excited to join the contest. I'd love to have you.

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 11:40 PM
*July 1st is when you have to have your entry in by.

*The round is unfinished as in not everyone has their entries in yet

*Yes, the picture posted is the house you have to edit.

I'm glad you're excited to join the contest. I'd love to have you.

OHH ill start right away
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 11:45 PM
OHH ill start right away

Glad to hear it!

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 11:59 PM
I just remembered is budget the cost of the house and furniture or just furniture
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 12:09 AM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 20th Jun 2014 at 12:29 AM.
I just remembered is budget the cost of the house and furniture or just furniture

The budget total is whatever the original "Unfurnished" price is, plus whatever money is allotted to them.

For example:

Taking Round 1, which unfurnished is $17,869 plus the Smith's family budget of $55,000 means that the end furnished value can be no more than $72,869.

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Put that in the original post for clarification.

Field Researcher
#12 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 1:38 AM
Would taking out a column and replacing it with a different one be permitted?
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Evairance
Would taking out a column and replacing it with a different one be permitted?

Yes, that would be fine.

Edited: Added that to the first post, thanks for pointing that out.

Test Subject
#14 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 2:56 AM
I've actually never participated in anything on this site, but, this is so interesting. And seeing as I've been wanting to expand my decorating abilitys in TS3, I'll give this a go!
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 3:01 AM
I'd like to try, if that is okay I like the idea of remodeling a lot.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 7:25 AM
Could you clarify how the family selection works? Do we stick with the same family throughout the contest?

(And if this was already covered in the OP and I just missed it, then apologies for being an idiot :p)

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Instructor
#17 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 7:38 AM
Oh fun! I don't mind losing horribly, so I might give this a whirl.

One quick question though: I know that modifying the placement of existing columns and stairs is prohibited, but is placing additional stairs and columns allowed?
Test Subject
#18 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 8:50 AM
Hello everyone! I want to ask - how about fences? Can we build it or not? ( sorry for my English)
Test Subject
#19 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 10:52 AM
Can I be a judge? I already judged in Design This - An Interior Design Contest. Some of the pictures of my decorating abilities under the spoiler

Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 12:29 PM Last edited by INISHI : 20th Jun 2014 at 1:29 PM.
"Then, when you're done, post ten of your best pictures here under spoiler tags"
My question is, What do you mean by "Spoiler Tag" ? How to add photos there ?
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 1:03 PM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 20th Jun 2014 at 1:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simperatrix
Could you clarify how the family selection works? Do we stick with the same family throughout the contest?

(And if this was already covered in the OP and I just missed it, then apologies for being an idiot :p)

You choose a different family each round. Each round you'll be given a different house to redecorate, so at the end you'll have redecorated four different homes for four different families.

Quote: Originally posted by cutsocks
One quick question though: I know that modifying the placement of existing columns and stairs is prohibited, but is placing additional stairs and columns allowed?

Hm. This is always tough for me as I want to find a balance with creativity and difficulty in this challenge. I'm going to be lenient and say yes on this one though, as long as you don't delete the ones that were originally there.

Quote: Originally posted by Melodyx
Hello everyone! I want to ask - how about fences? Can we build it or not? ( sorry for my English)

You can do whatever you want with fences. You may delete, change, add, and lick them.

Quote: Originally posted by malibibic
Can I be a judge? I already judged in Design This - An Interior Design Contest. Some of the pictures of my decorating abilities under the spoiler

Of course. I'd love to have you. Especially since you have experience with a similar contest.

Quote: Originally posted by INISHI
"Then, when you're done, post ten of your best pictures here under spoiler tags"
My question is, What do you mean by "Spoiler Tag" ? How to add photos there ?

I think you'll find HP's thread here to be very helpful.

The spoiler tag is (spoiler) Put picture text here (/spoiler). Except you use [ ] instead of parenthesis.

Test Subject
#22 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 1:41 PM
One more question ! Can I change the furniture and their position and add an additional room ?
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by INISHI
One more question ! Can I change the furniture and their position and add an additional room ?

*Of course you can change the furniture. How else could you redecorate?

*No, you may not add an additional room as editing walls is not permitted. Well, technically you could, but you would be docked points for breaking the rules.

Instructor
#24 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 2:38 PM
You can do whatever you want with fences. You may delete, change, add, and lick them.

Woo! There will be lots of fence-licking from me. I LOVE fences. (Lick = abuse, right? )

An thank you so much for letting us add stairs. So much thanks!
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cutsocks
And thank you so much for letting us add stairs. So much thanks!

Oh, you're welcome. I had a feeling that would keep some people happy.

Page 1 of 20