Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:25 PM Last edited by fluttereyes : 6th Sep 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Default I have this idea that we could all use
well that is if anyone else can be bothered. The problem is that patterns brought into the game don't show up as cc when put into the packages folder. This does make things a little difficult when building. Yeah I know I could have a game with none in it, but I do like to use the other cc I have.

I'm wondering if people would be up for putting a small CC in one corner of the thumbnail for a pattern, this would make it instantly recognisable as cc. It would have to be just large enough to see.

This isn't just for patterns, also other types of cc. I would be willing to do a cc symbol on any of the thumbs I do, or whatever other mark we can come up with, I'd do it on paintings etc

What do you lot think, is this a good idea or a silly one, lol
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 7:07 PM
I think its an excellent idea - however, I remember back in the sims2 days there were people who were trying to NOT have the custom star show in game - so you might get a fifty/fifty on how useful that is perceived to be.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 7:47 PM
Doesn't work, already tried. Because I want this without using the launcher. Even if the thumb image is in the package it's not reading it, it's adding to dbcache (?) when installed via the launcher. This is an apparent limitation of using .package instead of sims3packs. Delphy can be more technical, but I have asked him about it. I don't believe there is a way to force it using .packages.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Doesn't work, already tried. Because I want this without using the launcher. Even if the thumb image is in the package it's not reading it, it's adding to dbcache (?) when installed via the launcher. This is an apparent limitation of using .package instead of sims3packs. Delphy can be more technical, but I have asked him about it. I don't believe there is a way to force it using .packages.

Of course it would work, you would be putting the CC letters in the corner of the thumb yourself in photoshop before loading it up. It's just the thumbnail that would show it.

Like the attached image. We could decide on what to write, like CC + the creators initials or the site it came from. I'd be happy just with cc though.

I don't know if it would work with clothes, but it would work if it was objects and paintings that you have to make a thumb for and run through s3oc.

I suspect this is why some folks are looking for a utility to convert .packages to sim3 3.packs. I'm beginning to agree as my CC is increasing. I wonder if anyone could come up with a mod that adds tthe star we used to have to let us know it's a .package we're looking at. I just removed all my CC for building and it's pretty grim in there but with things like patterns it's a nightmare trying to remember where you got them and if they're CC or not. I know patterns must use a thumbnail as they show up.
Screenshots
Instructor
#5 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 1:55 PM

Well you must have tried again because there is a little pink thing on the thumb of your windows, I thought it looked real cute.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#6 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:07 PM
Your original question was for patterns, and no it does not work. As I tried several times different ways before I asked Delphy. Objects it works just fine when you add your thumb, you just need to check the box in s30c to pull thumbs. I also have a hair that has a custom thumb, so it obviously works there too.

Cute isn't it Dee? That hot pink definitely stands out.
Instructor
#7 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:20 PM

It certainly does and when I first saw it, I thought "Thanks God I can tell it's CC."
If I ever get my head around making meshes for sims3, I'll remember that little hot pink thingy, it does stand out a mile.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:38 PM
Your original question was for patterns, and no it does not work. As I tried several times different ways before I asked Delphy. Objects it works just fine when you add your thumb, you just need to check the box in s30c to pull thumbs. I also have a hair that has a custom thumb, so it obviously works there too.

Sorry, I wrote this post a wee while ago so I answered again without fully reading it. It would be good for things like roof colours, etc too. It's just a matter of findout out how many would be up for adding the CC symbol to their thumbs and getting it going. For all the time it takes. Now that we are getting roofs, floors, walls, furniture, etc it would be good to be able to identify it as CC from the get go
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 1:43 AM
As far as I know there's no way to edit the thumbs for patterns, so this thread is in the wrong place... moving to Modding Discussion. (If I'm wrong, somebody please explain how )

Some people are already initialing or otherwise "branding" their thumbs, but I'd like to reiterate what Lee said above: some people don't LIKE the CC marker, and there were lots of mods for Sims 2 that were motivated purely by a desire to get rid of it. In other words, there's no community consensus that it's a desirable thing.

Therefore, I think it has to be up to individual modders whether they want to mark their thumbs or not. I guess really thoughtful modders could include both versions :p
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 7:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Therefore, I think it has to be up to individual modders whether they want to mark their thumbs or not. I guess really thoughtful modders could include both versions :p

I have a feeling at least some of the modders using such a mark are doing it more as a branding thing than a convenience to people using it to recognize it as CC. I doubt those people would offer both options.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#11 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 9:53 AM
Has anybody actually tried editing the 0x2e75c765 resource (the PNG) in pattern packages?

To be honest though, unless things appear in the "Show Custom Content" star list, I think it'll just confuse things even more.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
As far as I know there's no way to edit the thumbs for patterns, so this thread is in the wrong place... moving to Modding Discussion. (If I'm wrong, somebody please explain how )

Some people are already initialing or otherwise "branding" their thumbs, but I'd like to reiterate what Lee said above: some people don't LIKE the CC marker, and there were lots of mods for Sims 2 that were motivated purely by a desire to get rid of it. In other words, there's no community consensus that it's a desirable thing.

It's really about finding a way to identify all cc, maybe I should edit the initial post
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
I have a feeling at least some of the modders using such a mark are doing it more as a branding thing than a convenience to people using it to recognize it as CC. I doubt those people would offer both options.

I don't mind if people use branding, anything that lets us see it's cc. initials of the creator, anything to mark it as not base game stuff. Branding is absoultely fine with me, even the name of their site. It would be just down to the community to come up with an agreed method, or at the leadst to agree to mark it in one way or another.

Lol, Tiger, Delphy, that is unless someone can come up with a way for the game to recognise cc in .package format and make it stand out.

Delphy, showing in the custom star list would be even better, do you think that could be a possibility as time goes on? It's the one and only drawback of .package files. I was just thinking about this now because my cc is growing in there and it's hard to tell which are base and which are downloaded
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 12:25 PM
The only way it would show up as custom content to TS3 and be filterable with the custom star list is if it is installed through the launcher as a sims3pack. That certainly isn't an impossibility, but I don't think anyone's really bothered to make anything to facilitate doing so.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
The only way it would show up as custom content to TS3 and be filterable with the custom star list is if it is installed through the launcher as a sims3pack. That certainly isn't an impossibility, but I don't think anyone's really bothered to make anything to facilitate doing so.

Well you know me, I'll bounce ideas around and see if anyone sparks a brainwave. Now we have a file in the mods folder that makes the game see cc and use it, ok, so why couldn't this be adapted to make the game see cc as cc and not as a base game item. Wouldn't it be possible to mod that system and make it see that it's a .package file and show it as cc?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#16 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 1:20 PM
Personally, I'm all for identifying cc as cc for better classification and all, but if I need to make changes to core game files, then I'll refrain because of the patching hell I'd go through in the future and when installing EPs
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Personally, I'm all for identifying cc as cc for better classification and all, but if I need to make changes to core game files, then I'll refrain because of the patching hell I'd go through in the future and when installing EPs

yeah that's why I think it might be better for the game to be made to recognise it rather than us identifying it. I can see it becoming a real issue once we have hundreds of cc items and a few expansion packs though. It would be good if it was made to just show up with a cc star
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:35 PM
A sims3pack is basically just a wrapper around a .package that the launcher then uses to install it into the game's CC repository. It isn't really modifying the core game files, it's just modifying the contents of a file that the launcher manages. The downside is for people who don't like going through the launcher - though it's only needed to install or uninstall content.

I think there's one or two tools out there which can create sims3pack out of a package, but it probably isn't obvious on the outside as that is not the primary purpose of those tools.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#19 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 3:18 PM
Well, it's either tossing your content into the launcher and getting a chaotic, disorganized mass that is completely unmanageable (Even with just the Store crap, the Launcher's means of organizing things is already a jumbled mass), or not having a CC star.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#20 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 3:41 PM
I have modified the png with no results many times before. I just did it again to see if maybe the area being used for the tiny thumb preview was not where I expected. I replaced the entire png with a rainbow gradient, the game is not reading that png icon from the package.
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Well, it's either tossing your content into the launcher and getting a chaotic, disorganized mass that is completely unmanageable (Even with just the Store crap, the Launcher's means of organizing things is already a jumbled mass), or not having a CC star.

Maybe you're being too quick to dismiss JM, people have said before things can't be done and yet here we are doing this that and the next thing. Sometimes just throwing ideas around like this can get someone thinking who can work it out. The launcher isn't too bad once you get used to the idea that you have to delete as well as uninstall. I admitedly prefer the .package format but it does make it difficult for builders. I now have two folders for .packages and use them alternating between them. Patterns are a nightmare because you just don't know where you got what.

I'm sure someone will come up with an idea at some point, think of this thread as a sort of think tank.

I remember you saying way back that there would be nothing to mod on sims 3 hahaha, never say never mate
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:26 PM
Just chiming to say that I've had the same experience as HugeLunatic-- changing the png doesn't seem to have any effect at all.
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 1:01 AM
my solution for this is that I'm going to allow people to use my patterns in their lots and upload them with the lots, it's just getting ridiculous. I don't need a credit, as long as my patterns stay free and off the exchange, then they can just upload them with no worries. I make patterns out of necessity (because I have no idea who made what with patterns, I actually deleted everyone else's so I always know I can just use it). I also make them just for fun, so it doesn't matter if I don't get a name drop or link.

If other pattern makers and terrain paint makers followed suit, it would be so much easier for builders to work.