Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:47 PM
Default Making a Preteen Mod for TS4
So I want to make a preteen mod for TS4, which would add an entirely new age to the game between children and teenagehood, seeing as its a bit weird how sims go from 6 year olds to 16 year olds. This would probably involve:
>new height
>new interaction animations - this would be needed because of the new height because if i just used the kids animations hugs for example they'd hug their chest
>some romance options for fellow preteens - things like holding hands and first kisses
>new clothing items - necessary for the new height
>2 traits
>kids voices
>goes to middle school- new homework tasks
> can take care of toddlers
> sleep in kids beds
> develops skills like teens, as in they don't have to master a skill to work on a skill like piano or painting individually
> no job options yet
>new social interactions with fellow sims- things more preteen-y instead of the things teens or kids say in the game
I can see how i'd be able to do some aspects of the mod - things like the social interactions and clothes will be pretty easy- but i'm more worried about how to achieve the height change as well as making it actually an option in game so i can make animations and content in TSS. I have pretty much no experience with mods besides some CC making. Does anyone have any ideas?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 1st May 2017 at 12:08 AM
Modding in an entire life stage into the game isn't really feasible. There are hundreds of animations that have to be coded and new models that have to be created. I remember there was a thread on here back when toddlers weren't in the game yet with a person wanting to mod toddlers into the game. It didn't work out.

Believe me, I want preteens in the game too. I just don't think it could work as a player-created mod.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Field Researcher
#3 Old 1st May 2017 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xiorian
So I want to make a preteen mod for TS4, which would add an entirely new age to the game between children and teenagehood, seeing as its a bit weird how sims go from 6 year olds to 16 year olds. This would probably involve:
>new height
>new interaction animations - this would be needed because of the new height because if i just used the kids animations hugs for example they'd hug their chest
>some romance options for fellow preteens - things like holding hands and first kisses
>new clothing items - necessary for the new height
>2 traits
>kids voices
>goes to middle school- new homework tasks
> can take care of toddlers
> sleep in kids beds
> develops skills like teens, as in they don't have to master a skill to work on a skill like piano or painting individually
> no job options yet
>new social interactions with fellow sims- things more preteen-y instead of the things teens or kids say in the game
I can see how i'd be able to do some aspects of the mod - things like the social interactions and clothes will be pretty easy- but i'm more worried about how to achieve the height change as well as making it actually an option in game so i can make animations and content in TSS. I have pretty much no experience with mods besides some CC making. Does anyone have any ideas?

Unless you work for EA you will never be able to make massive mod like that. You would have to have access to main program and the animations would take you forever. Good idea just not feasible to someone not in the company.
Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 10:39 AM
I know people are telling you that it's not possible, but honestly, that shouldn't stop you from trying. I think you should give it your best shot. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but that shouldn't stop you.

For starters, I'd say it'd probably be easiest to actually start with either children or teens. Pick whichever you like, and use it as your base. Starting from scratch will be way more work. Currently, teens are basically just... Slightly less formed young adults. There is a reason for this, though. It makes it much easier for animations and items to work on them. Anything that works on young adults through elders, can work on teens. That's why they did it the way that they did. So, take a page out of EA's book, and do the same thing! I'd say there's pros and cons to using either teens or children, but either way, it makes less work for you, as you can easily take the hairs and the clothes and everything from whatever age group you use, and have them work for the age group you're making.

I personally would go with teens. They're much easier to work with, and they have much better clothing options, which will be nice once you get to the point that you need clothing options. I'd say start working on the proportions of them, on making a version that's able to be smaller, and then go from there.

And ignore what the others are saying. Maybe it isn't possible. But you can at least try. You won't hurt anything by trying, and it can be a fun learning experience! If you ever need someone to talk to about this, feel free to message me! I don't know a whole lot about modding, but I'll definitely be here to try and give ideas if you need them, or just words of encouragement. You've got this, buddy. I believe in you.
Space Pony
#5 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 12:06 PM
I still want a middle age mod. You know, old, but not ready for the nursing home yet, like 50-70, like seniors but not elderly, iykwim.
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RicoSuavecito
I still want a middle age mod. You know, old, but not ready for the nursing home yet, like 50-70, like seniors but not elderly, iykwim.

I just extend the adult lifestage by a while and when they get like halfway through give them more mature outfits/hair.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marsh
I just extend the adult lifestage by a while and when they get like halfway through give them more mature outfits/hair.

If you use MCCC, there is a way to extend the lifespan per age group. In-game, you click on a computer in your sim household, Click on MCCC, and go through the various sections, and you can add a lot of variety to your game. The only thing I wouldn't recommend - is the game still doesn't like households bigger than 8, so you may run into problems with that (I tried 10 - sad face)

https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/

depending on how far your game is patched, there is a MCCC version for it that is stable. You don't have to be a patron to download.
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st May 2019 at 3:35 PM
As a community, we should be helping xiorian out. I am a 3d modeller by trade. I could create a few body types and save them as Blender objects if that will help out.
Scholar
#9 Old 21st May 2019 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyDrakharis
As a community, we should be helping xiorian out. I am a 3d modeller by trade. I could create a few body types and save them as Blender objects if that will help out.

Have you seen the date of this post?
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Dec 2021 at 11:06 PM
Default I know I'm years late lol...
Someone has literally made a mod of exactly what you commented here, I'm not sure if you're the same person but it could've been done. Yes I can understand that adding an entirely new life stage is impossible, but there are ways around that. Such as using the reward trait system as an indicator that your sim is a preteen. A lot of people said it wasn't feasible but it was, someone literally proved that on Dec 2 2021. Anyway never doubt yourself when it comes to these things because when you work with what you got you can always find a way around obstacles.