Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 4:15 PM Last edited by willem81 : 18th Oct 2005 at 4:20 PM. Reason: forgot to post the pic
Quote: Originally posted by Max3D
.... btw
i've aligned the r_wheel_steering_trans with the r_wheel_rot
but that's didn't correct the rotation axis

i wish to know where the hell is gone the center of my weel :@

You should NOT change the values in the "*_wheel_steering_trans". Change the values in the "*_wheel_rot" only.

This is the center of the wheel (see the pics).
I'm sorry, i was not fully complete. You have to move the joints for the wheels to the center in the side view AND in the back/front view when your car is a lot smaller than the original one. (I am used to make cars where the wheels are in the same position as the wheels of the origional.)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 10:12 AM Last edited by VampCat : 19th Oct 2005 at 10:30 AM.
[QUOTE=Max3D]
it's 8000 poly that's should be the limit for every car in TS2 !
QUOTE]

How exactly have you come up with that figure? The Sims2 can handle a lot more than that. Even Maxis objects that take up less physical space have more polys than that. If you are basing it on the 800 polys per square rule I wouldn't bother as as it is just an urban myth, Maxis have not released any such guidelines and for them to create a game that could only handle 800 polys per square would just be a waste of resources. If I were you I would examine some of the Maxis objects and actually look at the poly counts coz you are totally wrong. And to be telling other creators what they should and shouldn't do when you don't have the slightest clue yourself is just stupid.

I suggest you keep your advice to yourself until you know what you are talking about and stop hindering the progress of other creators.

You have been arguing this point for a while now and everything you have said is wrong. It is funny really coz you are dishing this advice out to people who have succeded where you have failed, does that not tell you something?

Stick to what you know and let others get on with their work without you trying to ruin it for them by telling them that their work is no good.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!

To everyone else who has created or is creating and has gone over this alleged 8,000 polly limit, don't worry about it, you are doing an excellent job , and don't let anyone, especially someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, tell you otherwise. People like this really do my head in.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaser59
i got very strange thing i have modify a car model found on cars (the viper)

i have import into milkshape 1.7.3 the model appear correct i make all joints and export for the sims

and into the game i get this

the wheel and door work perfect i need to adjust position

and need texture, only material on this car, no texture

and the front light are very big and large ( the effect )

taillight corrct and good placed

You need to use a UV-mapper, like UV-mapper CLassic or LithUnWrap to get a texture on your car. When you need more information, search on MTS2.

I believe it's impossible to change the effects of the lights, you can only move them around.

Edit:
I just saw your pic. This blue coloured parts, are they flickering between black and blue?
Instructor
#29 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 10:37 PM Last edited by pinhead : 19th Oct 2005 at 10:45 PM.
Vampcat, i think that optimize the mesh as low as possible should be the main objective to all mesh creators.
I don't know why you got upset with the comment. Of course it's not a rule to 8000 polys limit, but anyway if you create or change the mesh low as possible i think it's the right thing. I personaly checked all objects that i like and download to make sure if they are made low as possible to use in my game. Otherwise i never use it. I don't have a top end computer to handle big meshes. A good example is the optimized meshes of willem81. He made a lot of work to make the mesh low, and i appreciate very much his effort.

I think that you could advice something like this other than say to not bother with polygon limits.
mainly converting high poly meshes to the game.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinhead
Vampcat, i think that optimize the mesh as low as possible should be the main objective to all mesh creators.
I don't know why you got upset with the comment. Of course it's not a rule to 8000 polys limit, but anyway if you create or change the mesh low as possible i think it's the right thing. I personaly checked all objects that i like and download to make sure if they are made low as possible to use in my game. Otherwise i never use it. I don't have a top end computer to handle big meshes. A good example is the optimized meshes of willem81. He made a lot of work to make the mesh low, and i appreciate very much his effort.

I think that you could advice something like this other than say to not bother with polygon limits.
mainly converting high poly meshes to the game.

I was not saying not to bother with limits, just not to bother with the 8,000 for cars and 800 per square for all other objects as Maxis does not stick to this themselves, and it is hard enough for some new creators who are trying their best to come to terms with what is involved in creating cars and not to worry too much about Max3D's FICTIONAL poly limit.

I have seen so many people quote these different "limits" and Max3D's calculations for backing up his claims are wrong. The truth is there is to limit set in stone, and creators should examine the original maxis objects, look at the poly counts for each object and then use their best judjement when creating their own masterpieces.

I went slightly off it with Max3D because A] i am sick of people complaining that objects have broken some mythical limit, instead they should be congratulating them on their personal achievements, and B] He puts himself across as an authority on the issue when infact seems to know very little. Some new creators will come to this site and take his word for gospel (especially with a name like "Max3D") this would just hinder creators and none of us want that.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 5:46 PM Last edited by Max3D : 20th Oct 2005 at 6:02 PM.
i didn't waste more time to explane why you should do light object
if u have more brain to undrestand it i'm happy for u
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 10:17 PM Last edited by VampCat : 20th Oct 2005 at 10:45 PM.
i didn't waste more time to explane why you should do light object
if u have more brain to undrestand it i'm happy for u

You don't need to be brainy to understand it.

Definately exceeds 800 polys per square.

This is only one example and there are more.

I rest my case.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 10:23 AM Last edited by Max3D : 21st Oct 2005 at 10:43 AM.
[about the car]
ok solved the arcane ....
DO NOT USE REPLACE when import bones, but UPDATE

[about the poly discussion]

this is a correct poly, that mean the vertex are welded so the CPU will calculate just 5 vertex, if the vertex aren't welded the CPU will calculate 3 vertex x face (many of the models on the net have many "flying face")

& btw this have nothing to do on the good sense of the modder, which should try to keep a lower poly as possible.
Scholar
#34 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 2:26 PM
how do you weld (decrease the poly count) in 3d studio max 7?
Field Researcher
#35 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 3:05 PM
with the "weld" command, if your mesh is a polygon you can select #n. vertex and use the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+C to "collapse" the vertex
Forum Resident
#36 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 11:12 AM
Oh, this sounds frightening. But I´ll try this out an see if it works. Seems to be hard work coming!
Scholar
#37 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 6:35 PM
with the "weld" command, if your mesh is a polygon you can select #n. vertex and use the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+C to "collapse" the vertex

when i choose collapse the whole part of the mesh dissapears.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 5:56 PM
the sims2 objer are realy realy little so you should use about 0,01 parameter to weld correctly the vertex..

collapse command do the same of weld but collapse will fuse togheter all selected vertex
try to see the 3dstudio reference for more infos.
Scholar
#39 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 2:58 PM
I am having a problem to get the front wheels of my car mesh to work correctly.

The new car mesh is a little longer than the original mesh, but the same height and width. The rear wheels align with the original mesh.

Here is what I did -

In MilkShape, I moved the 4 joints of the front wheels foward to align with the exact center of the new wheels.

I also moved the door joints a little to align with the new doors

========================

In the game, all is correct when the car is stationary. The doors open correctly, all wheels are in the right place

But, when the Sim drives, the front wheels rotate crazy, in a wide circle around the center of the wheel opening.

=========================

Next, in the Resource Node, I tried moving the wheel_rot joints in the "y" direction only to correct this-
that makes the front wheels go in the wrong place even when the car just sits in the driveway, and the rotation is still crazy

I went back to the Resource Node, put the wheel_rot joints back as they were.

Then I moved the steering_trans joints in the "y" direction in the Resource node -

Now in the game, the wheels are again back in the right place when the car sits, but the changes to the steering_trans joints make no difference at all, the wheels still go in the same crazy circles no matter what I do.

I know people have been able to do this, people are even able to make the limo work correctly and that is much, much, longer than the small distance I moved the front wheels.

Where am I going wrong?

Should I NOT move the front wheel joints in MilkShape at all, and do all the changes in the Resource Node instead?

Or should I move only the wheel_rot joints in MilkShape and leave the steering_trans joints where they are?
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
Should I NOT move the front wheel joints in MilkShape at all, and do all the changes in the Resource Node instead?

Or should I move only the wheel_rot joints in MilkShape and leave the steering_trans joints where they are?

You NEED to move the front wheel joints in Milkshape.

You should NEVER change the steering_trans joints. Only the wheel_rot joints.
Scholar
#41 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by willem81
You NEED to move the front wheel joints in Milkshape.

You should NEVER change the steering_trans joints. Only the wheel_rot joints.

Do you mean I only move the wheel_rot joints in MilkShape, and leave the steering_trans ones where they are?

Or do you mean in the Resource Node?

This is the part I do not understand.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 4:19 AM
Iv made 100s of objects this is my 1st shot of a car....

I have a question if anyone can help..

All textures are mapped 100% and the car objects fine...

It just won't show in the game at all?????

any ideas why.... if i could get it to show in the game in any way id be happy...

YES i can see coustom content!

So what the heck have I done wrong?

???
Scholar
#43 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 8:31 AM
Did you assign the vertices to the correct bones?

Un-assigned vertices will not show up in the game.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 9:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
Do you mean I only move the wheel_rot joints in MilkShape, and leave the steering_trans ones where they are?

Or do you mean in the Resource Node?

This is the part I do not understand.

I've never used the ASCII format, so it was a bit confusing. I'm sorry.
In Milkshape I only move the wheel_rot joints, the ones I attach the vertices to. In the CRES I only change the values of the joints I moved in Milkshape, that means only the wheel_rot joints. So I NEVER touch the steering_trans joints.
Scholar
#45 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 9:22 PM
Thanks, I did get it to work.

In fact, I was doing it right all along - but I was running into an odd glitch in the game.

It seems that if the "car in progress" is left on the lot after testing, any changes made in the Resource Node do NOT show up in the game.

It only showed the changes after I removed the car from the lot where I was testing it, then bought it again.

Very odd - it's like the game is keeping the car's Resource Node information when saving the lot or something...
Field Researcher
#46 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 7:36 AM
HELP
Dam thing just wont show.....
vertices are to the correct bones, but no go it just anint there????

Im using Milkshap and exporting ASCII might not be importing correctly in SimPE... Is this what you all use????

If you don't whan't moving parts what should all the vertexs be connected to???

What export import do yous do? Do you have surgested Plugin and links to them for use for this type of work?...PLS

Any help would be good thanks..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post thing:
ME - Iv made 100s of objects this is my 1st shot of a car....
I have a question if anyone can help..
All textures are mapped 100% and the car objects fine...
It just won't show in the game at all?????
any ideas why.... if i could get it to show in the game in any way id be happy...
YES i can see coustom content!
So what the heck have I done wrong????

DP - Did you assign the vertices to the correct bones?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar
#47 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mickyss
HELP
Dam thing just wont show.....
vertices are to the correct bones, but no go it just anint there????

Im using Milkshap and exporting ASCII might not be importing correctly in SimPE... Is this what you all use????

I have used both Wes H's v 2.16 milkshape plugins (find them in the sticky thread in this forum), and the .ms3dascii export/import of SimPE.

I try to use Wes's plugins first - usually they work fine, but sometimes they put dark shadows onto the mesh. In that case, I use the .ms3dascii export and import.

If you use the .ms3dascii importer in SimPE, make sure you change all the mesh group settings when you import - they come up set to "Add", which will not work for this. You must change each one to "Replace"

I do not change the setting of the joints.

Quote:

If you don't whan't moving parts what should all the vertexs be connected to???

If you use .ms3dascii, all the non-moving parts (the entire basic body) must be assigned to "body_rot"

All assignments should be to the "_rot" joints, for example the left rear wheel is assigned to:
"l_wheel_rear_rot"

If you use Wes H's plugins, the joints have numbers rather than names - you will have to determine which is the correct number by clicking on the joint, then click "SelAssigned" to see which vertices of the original mesh are assigned to which joint - unfortunately, they are not always the same number depending on what Maxis car you strated with.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 8:30 AM
Thanks Doc...
I will try this and see what happens.
Test Subject
#49 Old 9th Mar 2006 at 11:58 PM
Default Karmann Ghia Convertible
Almost done, thanks to all who posted here about making nightlife cars. Not as hard as it looks. I will upload this car if there is interest in it. I think I'll make the Saleen S-7 next.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 10th Mar 2006 at 8:09 PM
Quote:
but collapse will fuse togheter all selected vertex
Then this means that collapse is not the same as weld!! Please correct me if I'm wrong but a vertex is 1 and vertices are more than 1 are they not?

Wayne, looks great mate.
Signed Interested.

Tilwhen Pete
Page 2 of 3