Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 1:54 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 stuck at low-quality textures, I tried everything
So, I'm playing Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on my laptop but apparently even when I max out the settings, the game still wants to give me low textures, this includes neighbourhood, sims, et cetera.

I tried Graphics Rules Maker and while it worked for a while, it stopped again.

Force texture memory is 2048Mb
Fix AMD Radeon HD 7000 series is on
Default and max resolution are 1600x900 (I play windowed, btw)
My GPU is recognised as AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 2500U). Yes, this is onboard graphics which I understand suck but gdi I should be playing on max settings.
I tried to set Graphics Rules to read-only

Yet, nothing seems to be working and I'm tempted to just move back over to Sims 3 instead until my desktop is actually repaired and THAT handles the game pretty well.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 2:17 PM
Have you tried using "simpleterrain false" in the startup cheats files?

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 2:27 PM
Check you config log in the logs folder. Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>Logs. A lot of us had it come off from a graphics driver update.
Then go up to the sticky about it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
Have you tried using "simpleterrain false" in the startup cheats files?

Startup cheats, can you teach me how to do that? I tried to set that in the Graphics Rules before to no avail.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check you config log in the logs folder. Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>Logs. A lot of us had it come off from a graphics driver update.
Then go up to the sticky about it.

Also, which post would that be?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Traxxious
Startup cheats, can you teach me how to do that? I tried to set that in the Graphics Rules before to no avail.

Just find the userStartup.cheat file in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config (might be slightly different if you're using another version of Windoze or the UC) and open it up with Notepad and add the cheat line. Save.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Just find the userStartup.cheat file in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config (might be slightly different if you're using another version of Windoze or the UC) and open it up with Notepad and add the cheat line. Save.

Thanks, I had to make it but I'll see if it works.

Edit: To an extent, it seemed to work but I still don't have high-quality textures for anything.
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 4:52 PM
Could you send a screenshot of what the game looks like, for reference? I'm honestly just curious.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
Could you send a screenshot of what the game looks like, for reference? I'm honestly just curious.

Here are the screenshots, the intro of Pleasantview looks better than in-game (can't say the same for other neighbourhoods) https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...744/unknown.png

And then you got this mess:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...334/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...728/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...472/unknown.png
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 9:11 PM
Both Neighborhood view pictures are good. This is how it is supposed to look because of the Lot Imposter. Your sim on the other hand, looks like you have sims details set to low. If you already set it to high..then i have no clue.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Both Neighborhood view pictures are good. This is how it is supposed to look because of the Lot Imposter. Your sim on the other hand, looks like you have sims details set to low. If you already set it to high..then i have no clue.

Yeah, I have basically everything maxed out. Don't know what's going on.

I am playing on windowed at 1600x900 but I hope that doesn't have anything to do with that.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 12:59 AM
1600 by 900 is my monitor size, and how i set my game, so it cannot be the problem here.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 1:01 AM
Go to help, the new sticky post.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Go to help, the new sticky post.

New sticky post? I'm looking all over but I'm not sure what you mean.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#14 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 1:36 AM
@Traxxious When was the last time you updated your graphic card driver ? I have G-Force and I check from time to time to update, and the texture for me look better. Why not check to see if your Graphic card drive need to be upodated.
Usually there is NO charge to do that, you can go to their web site and download and update free. Well at least with Nvidia / G-force you can on their site.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@Traxxious When was the last time you updated your graphic card driver ? I have G-Force and I check from time to time to update, and the texture for me look better. Why not check to see if your Graphic card drive need to be upodated.
Usually there is NO charge to do that, you can go to their web site and download and update free. Well at least with Nvidia / G-force you can on their site.

My drivers are stuck at AMD's Crimson 17.3 because HP are complete cancer and refuse to let me use the new drivers unless I do force-installing through some weird methods. I am only playing The Sims 2 on laptop because my desktop is currently on the fritz (and my girlfriend won't stop badgering me about fixing the desktop).
Meet Me In My Next Life
#16 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 2:11 AM
My drivers are stuck at AMD's Crimson 17.3 because HP are complete cancer and refuse to let me use the new drivers unless I do force-installing through some weird methods. I am only playing The Sims 2 on laptop because my desktop is currently on the fritz (and my girlfriend won't stop badgering me about fixing the desktop).

I may be wrong but over the years I have found that when it come to the Sims game I have found that the desktop computer with the right hardware / software seem to be much better and stronger than a lap top.
I have personally never enjoy playing the Sims on a laptop., maybe you should listen to your girlfriend about your desktop.
Also re-think next time what graphic drive you want to use, that why I like Nvidia / G- force they have no restriction. If you have there driver and need an update it cool. just go to their web side and download ( free )
Hope all work out for you don't give up

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Alchemist
#17 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 3:12 AM
Have you tried downloading one of the graphics rules from Leefish? The graphics rules maker never worked for me, but the Radeon rules in this thread did.
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888
Instructor
#18 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 3:37 AM
Maybe irrelevant, hopefully I didn't misread anything, and there is a lot to know more (like your system info), but there's this article regarding the texture corruption on your card using the Crimson driver. But HP what is your system using? Are you using a different driver compared to the one you actually have installed? Unless I missed it, what OS System are you running on? And Simonut is right, Sims and Laptops don't play well together.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1120...son-edition-173
Update link is at bottom of page.

Also, I have contacted Sims Network about an update for the Graphic Rules Maker. It is not updated for Mansions & Gardens because M&G is a mini EP (why EA made it that way, who's knows, but ridiculous really) and the Graphic Rules for the game are running off M&G. Graphic Rule Maker won't work for me either after I installed M&G. And it will only recognize Apartment Life as my latest EP. As of today, they are doing site maintenance, hopefully they will update the program. So what EP's is your most current will depend if the Graphic Rules Maker is working correctly.
Alchemist
#19 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 3:59 AM
A modern laptop should be able to handle Sims 2 just fine as long as it's not one of the really inexpensive ones, just meant for light use like word processing.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 5:59 AM
It's not the game so much as the high poly high texture CC that may get thrown into it like moving clouds.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 11:56 AM
@omglo I never did, and you would think it would handle it well considering I can run Sims 3 just fine but not really.

@suzymarie64 I'm running a HP Envy x360 with Ryzen 2500U APU and 8GB RAM, and due to HP's BS, I can't even get the newest and best drivers.

@joandsarah77 CC? What do you mean by that?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 12:45 PM
CC stands for Custom Content.

Instructor
#23 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 4:40 PM
Well, first thing looking around on the web, HP will not have an update, try here if you haven't already.
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Here's a full read on your notebook and performance reviews.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-En...w.266614.0.html

Honestly, I don't think you'll get much better performance. No offense, but I would fix your desktop. What's wrong with it? Your laptop is also a touchscreen, right, if so, it may not be compatible to run with TS2 because it requires different handling by your OS system. It is what it is.
Alchemist
#24 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 5:59 PM
@omglo I never did, and you would think it would handle it well considering I can run Sims 3 just fine but not really.
I would definitely try that file from Leefish, then. Make sure you replace the file in Config and in CSConfig. Have you tried running it without custom content? If your computer can handle TS3 with all those expansions you own, then TS2 shouldn't be too much for it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 7:09 PM
@Rosebine I already know that lolololol, it's the cloud part I was wondering about lol.

@suzymarie64 I have the latest HP graphics driver, problem is that HP is stupid enough to not have laptop driver updates in 5+ months for their NEW HP ENVY X360. God, I wanna smash or sell this laptop.

@omglo I'll consider it, and yes I did try without custom content, seems like before I added new hairs and stuff (not counting InTeen and incest mod), the textures were fine when I did Graphics Rules Maker for the first time. My gf seems to have a good time with it and she runs a RX 480, FX-6300 and 8GB RAM on Windows 7 PC.
Page 1 of 2