Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 2:50 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I need help guys
So I need help. My comp just died. No longer works on cord and battery won't charge.

So. I'll be getting a new comp with windows 10. I've heard bad things about 10 and Sims 2.

I have the total collection on disc not download. What do I need to get it to run correctly and what should I look for?

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:00 AM
Moving to help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyDoesThings
So I need help. My comp just died. No longer works on cord and battery won't charge.

So. I'll be getting a new comp with windows 10. I've heard bad things about 10 and Sims 2.

I have the total collection on disc not download. What do I need to get it to run correctly and what should I look for?

I would contact EA Support and ask for the UC since you have all the disk you should be able to get a copy of UC for free.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 4:29 AM
Get the Graphic Rules Maker (scroll to middle of page and get latest version 1.90.0)
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

I'm also on discs. Don't have a special graphic card, just Intel Chipset and it's running good. The Graphic Rules Maker does help for better graphics and game compatibility. Depending on the choice of computer you get, check for graphic card requirements and what runs the best game. Read about it here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=330413
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 4:46 AM
Why should she want to get the UC?

I just got a new computer a few months back, but I asked for and got Windows 7, so getting a new comp does not mean you must get win 10.

But 7,8 or 10, you need to make sure to get lowest core to higher CPU, get Nvidia card, do the graphic rules, 4 gb patch and standby memory.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 10:21 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Aug 2018 at 9:33 PM.
If you don't want to get the UC, make sure the laptop you get has a CD/DVD/BD disc drive. If you buy one without, get an USB-powered disc drive (I think most dseparate disc drives also work as disc burners) Or you may have to get the UC.

You should be able to get the game to run with Win10, but it may take a little bit of tinkering. There's lots of help topics for this.

You should get at least 8 GB RAM (windows often uses 1-2gb, the game uses 2, or up to 4 if up apply the 4GB fix, and it's always nice to have some extra for whatever programs are running in the background), and having more powerful graphics than an Intel chip may be a good idea, or you may end up saying good-bye to the new laptop much sooner than you'd want. A graphic card with dedicated memory can ease away some of the load on the CPU when playing games. It's also useful to know that TS2 only makes use of one CPU core (or thread? I'm a little unsure of the proper word here, but it's each separate piece of the CPU that shows up in the Task Manager), so the more cores/threads there are in the CPU the less there is for TS2 to play around with.

If you go for a pre-built laptop, don't go for a cheap "school/office" laptop, and be a little wary of the "multi-media" laptops (some of these can be decent enough for TS2, though). These don't always have good enough specs to run games, and some may not last long if you still insist on playing games on them. You don't have to go for a gaming laptop, but make sure the one you pick is powerful enough to do what you need it for.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Why should she want to get the UC?

I just got a new computer a few months back, but I asked for and got Windows 7, so getting a new comp does not mean you must get win 10.

But 7,8 or 10, you need to make sure to get lowest core to higher CPU, get Nvidia card, do the graphic rules, 4 gb patch and standby memory.

A lot of players who don't know how to install old games on windows 10 can run into a lot of problems.
Windows 7 is very easy to install older's games like Sims 2 but 10 requires the grumpy loader to install the patches and they must install the patches right after they install the EP or they run into the game uninstalling the next EP/SP because it can't find the patch.
Unlike windows 7 you can install the complete game then go back and install most of the patches. (1 or 2 require the patch before going on.)

Much more easier to get the UC for free and it will be there if and when a disk will no longer work.
I got 3 complete sets of disk version of the game with 1 set with the 4 tri set and UC so I am good to go for the next 20-30 years if need be.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 12:15 PM
The UC works fine with Windows 10, but i believe there are quite a number of players using disks without problems as well. It is a bit of work to get the game going, but as far as the UC (for me) is concerned, once it is going, it runs like butter.
Windows 10 has, in my opinion, some other advantages, like being able to restore lost or dropped drivers without me having to lift a finger (just restart and they are back, and it does not even happen often).
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 12:42 PM
Scholar
#10 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Read about it here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=330413

I dunno if there's any sense in pointing obsolete documentation until someone is warming a museum-like piece of hardware. I do not say it needs to be removed - you can still buy some old hardware for pennies, and if its refurbished it will work sometimes better & often longer than a new brand ones (Sims-wise, ofc), but definitely this post needs to be updated. Seriously where you last have seen Nvidia 420 series in the shop? Or P-series CPU?

@simmer22 "a thread", which efectively means for CPU's without hyperthreading feature "one core"; with that feature: "a half of core"; it's easy to tell the machine to run application with only one thread.

@HugeLunatic on the other hand, you do not get new breaches too Or some MadnessUpdate which left you in the middle of meeting work deadline with pants down . You can always have 2 systems anyway. Or 3 including Linux. Or, oh well, running the game in Linux, if you want to push a bit. The real problem may be lack of drivers.

@ OP I'd get UC and swap executable with not origin-infected one; because it is and 'till it is, companies likes to throw things into the oblivion without a warning - so: get grab it.

And according to hardware: any currently present machine will do. It needs a bit of tinkering, but any old software needs it anyway.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
I dunno if there's any sense in pointing obsolete documentation until someone is warming a museum-like piece of hardware. I do not say it needs to be removed - you can still buy some old hardware for pennies, and if its refurbished it will work sometimes better & often longer than a new brand ones (Sims-wise, ofc), but definitely this post needs to be updated. Seriously where you last have seen Nvidia 420 series in the shop? Or P-series CPU?

That was written 9 years ago, when hardware choice was more of an issue for Sims 2. If you want to update it or write a new one, I'm pretty sure the admins will be happy to unsticky it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 2:42 PM
Wow, Nvidia 420? Feel free to write up a whole new post.

As to graphic cards that you may actually want to buy, I am finding the Nvidea 1050 IT to be really good.

I know win 7 will be ending support, but some people here still use XP. So *shrug* I will either wait for something better than 10 or go online on something else.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:07 PM
My plan eventually with Win7 is install it to a non-internet machine. Once the support stops.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#14 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 4:31 PM
@simsample @joandsarah77 Nah... it shall looks like:

"anything built around 2009 or newer will do fine"*

*with exception of so called "netbooks".

and... well I'm actually typing this on machine built around 2009, bought in early 2010 belonging to the budget line. Which (as hardware -wise) is not even mentioned in that post, so in fact it was obsolete even back then in 2009.

@maxon if you wanna be really 'safe with Windows' grab 32-bit WinXP, it's not targetted anymore and current popular attack vectors won't even work on it.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 5:31 PM
Well thank you all so much! Good news! I managed to take the battery out and also found out that my computer also needed a new cord. So ALL MY SIMS HAVE BEEN SAVED!!!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2