Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 6:47 AM
Default I have a dumb question about the Nvidia DDS Utilities
Hey y'all, I've been making some new windows and glass textures to go with them, and I've gotten to the point where I remember why DDS utilities are important! (Been a while since I had to use them).

So, this is a newer computer, I no longer have DDS utilities installed, so I go to install them and...it's asking me for an "Organization" name as part of "registering the free product". Now, when I say it's been years since I've done this part, I mean it's been YEARS, and I do NOT remember this part! What should I put? What do y'all put? There's no option to NOT register it--halp!!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 1:01 PM
Make up something fake- such as 'Sirius Cybernetics' or 'Acme Robotics'!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 6:31 PM
You're getting those from here, right? First link? ("DDS Utilities 8.31 (Windows)")
https://developer.nvidia.com/gamewo...-utilities-8-31
Looks to be the original file from 2007.

I don't think that one has ever asked for an organization before, or needed registering. Could be something new, though.

(Those are mostly for use in SimPE, and I think they work for Photoshop, at least up to CS5/6 - if you need it for other programs, it's possible you also need other plugins to work with DDS files)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 5:25 AM
Lol @simsample "Acme Robotics"--I'm tempted to use that!

@simmer22 That's where I tried to get them from, but when I clicked on that, it sent a 404 error, which made me think "I *know* I used to use the DDS utilities in SimPE way back when, so do I have a copy somewhere?" (We had to copy all my files from my old computer to the one I have now three years ago, when a power surge killed the old one). Lo and behold, I had the DDS Utilities .exe, sitting in my computer's Downloads folder, so it was copied over from the old computer.

Which is why it's so odd that it's suddenly asking that, because like you, I don't remember it ever asking such a thing before. I'm only intending to use it for SimPe; I use GIMP for the texture work for my projects.

(Thank you to you both for answering so soon!)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 5:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Joselle
That's where I tried to get them from, but when I clicked on that, it sent a 404 error...

I got the error, too. No idea when it stopped working, but it's not too long ago I checked the link for someone else.

Try the SFS link here: https://osab.tumblr.com/post/634706...load-recently-i (there are a few backups around the community)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 8:38 AM
@simmer22 Thank you for kindly sending me the link! I just tried using the exe from there, and it's doing the same as the one I have (despite having a different date than mine), buuut I did find this

https://simthing.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorial

which mentions that putting anything in the organization name is okay, so apparently that's a thing now.

Again, thank you both @simmer22 and @simsample for answering me so quickly, looks like I'm off to register a fake organization lol!