Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 976
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 103 (Who?), Viewed: 28617 times.
Search this Thread
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 7:49 PM #76
kattenijin
Scholar

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 420 in 10 Posts
7 Achievements


As a gay male, I've been told many, many, many times that my struggle for equal civil rights is in no way comparable to that of blacks. I've been told this BY BLACKS. So, they can F-OFF and create their own flag. And, no I am not "part of the problem" as proposed by GabyBee's article. Also, ALL LIVES MATTER!!!

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Last edited by kattenijin : 23rd Jun 2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 5:03 AM #77
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,504


Including a black and brown strip on the Pride flag does not make it somehow universal to all groups that struggle for civil rights and equal rights. Where are the colors for Muslims, Asians, or Native Americans? Pride is not about all civil rights struggles. This sort of blending creates muddy colors and ideas. Further, it creates a divide between groups of people that would normally be supportive of one another.

The history of the Pride Flag does not suggest at all that it was to represent all groups seeking civil rights.
Quote:
...[Harvey] Milk was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors – making him the first openly gay person to hold a high public office in a major American city. Milk, once known fondly as the Mayor of Castro St., had campaigned on a positive message of hope for young gay people, saying, “The only thing they have to look forward to is hope. And you have to give them hope.” After winning the election, Milk challenged Gilbert Baker to come up with a symbol of pride for the gay community – a positive alternative to the pink triangle. The pink triangle, once imposed by Nazis to identify and persecute homosexuals, had been reclaimed in the 70s as a bold symbol of remembrance and action against persecution. It is still widely used, often alongside or superimposed upon the Rainbow Flag.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 2:45 PM #78
GrijzePilion
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,514
Thanks: 495 in 5 Posts
6 Achievements


My opinion: Being a bunch of detestable shitheads isn't going to make anyone like you. And yes, stop trying to pretend you're anything like the LGBT movement.

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Old 25th Jun 2017, 10:47 PM #79
SneakyWingPhoenix
Scholar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,333

Old 26th Jun 2017, 4:20 AM #80
pikeman101
Instructor

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 489




I love MyNameIsJosephine! Good to see another fan!

EDIT: Good to see logic is winning out in the end, as well. It's typical.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 6:28 AM #81
SneakyWingPhoenix
Scholar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,333


Yeah, remember when I refer to the pride flag change? That's when I discover her and I glad that I did.
Old 2nd Jul 2017, 6:31 PM #82
Jezzie
Test Subject

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 31


Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyBee

If you feel that acknowledging the achievements of groups that have campaigned for expanded civil rights somehow threatens your identity, then I'd say you have some pretty fucked up life priorities.

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I understood that the rainbow flag was a representation of ALL peoples whose sexuality did not fit into the strictly 'hetro' lifestyle? Why on earth would that even be an issue of skin colour/race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattenijin
As a gay male, I've been told many, many, many times that my struggle for equal civil rights is in no way comparable to that of blacks. I've been told this BY BLACKS. So, they can F-OFF and create their own flag. And, no I am not "part of the problem" as proposed by GabyBee's article. Also, ALL LIVES MATTER!!!


I'm sorry, kattenijin, that you have had that experience. I live in Africa and I know of cases where people have been tortured and raped because of the colour of their skin (black or white) and I know of cases where people whose sexuality did not fit into the realm of 'normal' and they were subjected to torture and 'corrective rape' (which needs no explanation).

Anyone who says one fight is not equal to the other is an idiot. As long as there is bigotry, hatred and intolerance of a man/woman's right to live as a dignified being regardless of sexual orientation we are failing as human beings, and as long as there is bigotry, hatred and intolerance of a man/woman's right to live as a dignified being regardless of skin colour we are failing as human beings. The two are separate but equally important.
Last edited by Jezzie : 2nd Jul 2017 at 6:54 PM.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 10:01 AM #83
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,504


Ut-oh! I thought I knew how I felt about the Pride flag including race, but now I'm confused. Help. I saw this ad for Uber and it appealed to my emotions. I like the idea of everyone having pride and understand the reasons for those who have been marginalized or acted against with bias and prejudice to have a need to express pride in being who they are. On the other hand, I still stand by my earlier statement that this muddies the movements and blends them into one. The Pride flag has a historical context for a narrower group than "all people who feel disenfranchised or who struggle for civil rights".

Here's the ad, if you are interested. I dunno. I like the positive message, but think I want the Pride flag to represent the LGBTQ+ community.


Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 26th Aug 2017, 2:53 AM #84
SuicidiaParasidia
Alchemist

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,955


Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyBee
The rainbow flag is not an official flag of the United States of America. It is a flag used by various groups to represent the broad coalition of groups who have fought for the expansion of civil rights of persecuted minority groups.

If you feel that acknowledging the achievements of groups that have campaigned for expanded civil rights somehow threatens your identity, then I'd say you have some pretty fucked up life priorities.

Or, to put it more succinctly - If You Hate the New Pride Flag, You're the Problem


I guess my questions to you would be, "Then when will they add a female-specific stripe, and other stripes for races that are continuing to expand civil rights for themselves, as well? And if they did, because all civil rights issues are equal in your mind, you don't think that might undermine the whole LGBT population in some way?".... And, "That's not at all lazily slapping two completely different issues, one of sexual identity, and one of cultural/racial identity, together?" I can see how they're similar, but similar does not mean same.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"Science literacy is a vaccine against the charlatans of the world that would exploit your ignorance."~ Neil DeGrasse Tyson
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Old 8th Sep 2017, 12:14 PM #85
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


I think all should set back, relax, grow a thicker skin, and have a nice, hot cup of STFU.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 11:54 PM #86
Shoosh Malooka
Theorist

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,141
Thanks: 2950 in 18 Posts
8 Achievements


Quote:
I think all should set back, relax, grow a thicker skin, and have a nice, hot cup of STFU.

Yeah, like this woman recently:

And these two some time ago:

And this guy:
Old 9th Sep 2017, 2:32 AM #87
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoosh Malooka
Yeah, like this woman recently:

And these two some time ago:

And this guy:
Didn't I say All? Libs, conservatives, everyone.
Old 9th Sep 2017, 7:55 AM #88
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,504


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunder
Didn't I say All? Libs, conservatives, everyone.
And you say this because....? We shouldn't sweat the small stuff, but these: equality, safety, freedom, are BIG and worthy of our passion and energy.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Last edited by VerDeTerre : 10th Sep 2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12th Sep 2017, 3:11 AM #89
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
And you say this because....? We shouldn't sweat the small stuff, but these: equality, safety, freedom, are BIG and worthy of our passion and energy.
Don't over think it.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 1:56 AM #90
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,504


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunder
Don't over think it.
I'm not. We're talking about human rights. Time to get passionate. It's wicked easy to say, "Don't sweat it" when YOUR rights aren't being threatened.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 12:33 PM #91
pikeman101
Instructor

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 489


Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
I'm not. We're talking about human rights. Time to get passionate. It's wicked easy to say, "Don't sweat it" when YOUR rights aren't being threatened.


No one's rights are being seriously threatened. There's a reason society casually mocks racists, and that's because they have no actual power. The group that DOES have power (due to their sheer number) is those who have become so sensitized to racism (because it is so uncommon) that they are willing to get violent with innocent people over innocuous things.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 6:31 PM #92
swillfly
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 101


Race issues in the States will always be problematic. I said it ages ago and I'll reiterate: This is Not a melting pot. The statue of liberty is a farce. For all non-American viewers: think of this republic as a failed social experiment which will never evolve and always piss off the rest of the world. I doubt even a super-cataclysmic event could alter the downward spiral that began in 1776. However, one can always become an ex-pat and see how screwy other places are too.

Kidney stones are never round pebbles... they are more like jagged stalactites.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 9:23 PM #93
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
I'm not. We're talking about human rights. Time to get passionate. It's wicked easy to say, "Don't sweat it" when YOUR rights aren't being threatened.
I live in Texas. I'm not worried about my rights being violated. I don't know if you live in the U.S or not, but it seems everyone in the world worries about what's going on here.

What is going on?

We voted.
We spoke.
Others didn't like the results (Americans) and are throwing a hissy.

Children NEVER like it when the adults say "NO", and throw tantrums.

You didn't see those on my side of the fence acting like this when Obama was elected.

No ones rights are being "Violated".

I'm not worried about it.

Nothing to see here, time to move along.
Last edited by Kunder : 13th Sep 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 9:54 PM #94
Averex
Original Poster

Instructor

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 542
Thanks: 421 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Damn, I didn't know this thread was still getting attention lmao
Old 13th Sep 2017, 10:30 PM #95
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by Averex
Damn, I didn't know this thread was still getting attention lmao
It's the daytime saga "As the Stomach Turns"
Old 14th Sep 2017, 8:50 AM #96
Jezzie
Test Subject

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 31


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunder

Nothing to see here, time to move along.


You say that and yet since the thread was 'resurrected' you have commented 5 times!! Almost every day!
Old 14th Sep 2017, 10:07 AM #97
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzie
You say that and yet since the thread was 'resurrected' you have commented 5 times!! Almost every day!
But it's fun!
Old 14th Sep 2017, 9:17 PM #98
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,504


Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
No one's rights are being seriously threatened. There's a reason society casually mocks racists, and that's because they have no actual power. The group that DOES have power (due to their sheer number) is those who have become so sensitized to racism (because it is so uncommon) that they are willing to get violent with innocent people over innocuous things.
Ummm..."No one's rights are being seriously threatened."????? You're basing this on what? Have you never heard of the rates of arrests, incarcerations, and legnthier sentences for black citizens? Have you never been aware of the loss of opportunities due to race and skin color? Are you unaware of the disavantages the many face due to the color of their skin and their attendant zip code? How did you come to this conclusion, anecdotal evidence (aka: an individual's experience that does not represent what the majority experiences) aside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunder
I live in Texas. I'm not worried about my rights being violated. I don't know if you live in the U.S or not, but it seems everyone in the world worries about what's going on here.

What is going on?

We voted.
We spoke.
Others didn't like the results (Americans) and are throwing a hissy.

Children NEVER like it when the adults say "NO", and throw tantrums.

You didn't see those on my side of the fence acting like this when Obama was elected.

No ones rights are being "Violated".

I'm not worried about it.

Nothing to see here, time to move along.
To say the least, I'm completely baffled with your response to my comment and how it ties in with Black Lives Matter. Care to elaborate? In terms of how blacks are treated in the US and in terms of the rates of incarceration and less opportunities, how does it matter whose "side" won, unless we are talking about the KKK vs the rest of us. Please...curious to understand what you're thinkinging here.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:06 PM #99
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Ummm..."No one's rights are being seriously threatened."????? You're basing this on what? Have you never heard of the rates of arrests, incarcerations, and legnthier sentences for black citizens? Have you never been aware of the loss of opportunities due to race and skin color? Are you unaware of the disavantages the many face due to the color of their skin and their attendant zip code? How did you come to this conclusion, anecdotal evidence (aka: an individual's experience that does not represent what the majority experiences) aside?

To say the least, I'm completely baffled with your response to my comment and how it ties in with Black Lives Matter. Care to elaborate? In terms of how blacks are treated in the US and in terms of the rates of incarceration and less opportunities, how does it matter whose "side" won, unless we are talking about the KKK vs the rest of us. Please...curious to understand what you're thinkinging here.
Are you a U.S. citizen?, or other. Your answer will dictate how I answer your question.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:11 PM #100
Kunder
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzie
You say that and yet since the thread was 'resurrected' you have commented 5 times!! Almost every day!
I'm not the one who resurrected it.
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.