Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1336
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 1192 times.
Search this Thread
Old 30th Oct 2017, 3:38 AM DefaultOpinion on My Nails? #1
Zena-Dew-Drop
Original Poster

Field Researcher

1 Achievements

Some backstory: I have been biting my nails all my life. A few months ago I finally managed to stop and grow my nails. I'm pretty proud of them, they're the longest I've ever had them.

Earlier today I just sent my boyfriend a pic of me holding my cat, and he felt the need to tell me my nails are "gross." Obviously I was shocked at first at how rude it was, and then I said stuff along the lines of "I don't care if you don't like them, because I do."
I feel like he is very biased so his opinion doesn't really worry me. We've been together for 4 years and most of the time my nails were very short. He also still bites his nails, and he has this thing where if I ever do anything that remotely reminds him of his mother (like painting my nails or wearing makeup) he hates it, because he doesn't want to date someone who reminds him of her, which is pretty dumb because we are actually very similar in a lot of ways.

Anyway, I have some pictures of my nails, one with polish and one without. Do you think my nails are too long and therefore "gross?"

https://i.imgur.com/I20ipym.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u03BXxr.jpg
Old 30th Oct 2017, 6:21 AM #2
Bubblebeam
Scholar

12 Achievements

I'm usually bias as well just because the thought of snapped nails makes me cringe, but I actually think they look very pretty with the polish.

My downloads archived at Wordpress.
My photo blog at Tumblr.
Old 30th Oct 2017, 11:37 AM #3
Bigsimsfan12
Alchemist

2 Achievements

They're very nice. Well done for growing them so long! When I was a teenager I always use to want them that long but they always ended up breaking (or I'd pick at them).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Old 30th Oct 2017, 11:48 AM #4
simmer22
Mad Poster

2 Achievements

Your nails do look a better with the polish, but without polish they'd probably look better if you cut them shorter and a little more even. It's probably just a matter of practice.

I go nuts if my nails are longer than 1-3 mm - and if they are longer I have a bad habit of biting (thumbs and little fingers only - I've managed to wean myself off biting the rest). In my line of work I can't have long nails or polish anyway, because it's a hygiene hazard. Personally, I find long nails gross (anything longer than the tip of the finger), and I don't like wearing polish (I don't wear any makeup in general).
Old 31st Oct 2017, 6:38 AM #5
budwinys
Field Researcher

I think they look great, especially with polish. I could never stand to have my nails that long, but I wish I could. I bite mine too, and my job causes me to get things underneath of them if they're too long, but they're very pretty. Anyway, you could try filing them to make the edges smoother if you want, but I don't think they're gross.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 8:02 AM #6
r_deNoube
Top Secret Researcher

2 Achievements

Congratulations! I am growing mine too, after biting them all my life, but I don't have a whole hand's worth ready to photograph yet

Yours look, to me, not gross. If you keep them as long as that, then the evenness of tone, the opacity that the polish gives, is better, in my opinion. I found a pink polish that is close to the colour of my natural nailbed so it doesn't scream out "I'm Pink Nail Polish", right? It just gives a little more of a -- is it called this for a reason? -- polished look. But I haven't yet kept enough fingernails simultaneously long enough to really enjoy the benefit!

If no polish, then I concur w/ the two above posts about keeping your nails trimmed & smooth. (I've learnt that this is mandatory in my case, because if I notice a little burr or edge or anything, I'm unconsciously picking at it before I can think to stop.)

EDIT: only one Disagree? I think I'd look better with two -- one for each hand.

Ronnie de Noube - Comic and Blog; Sim National Laboratories and our Protein Folding Team.
@)->-----
Last edited by r_deNoube : 2nd Nov 2017 at 7:51 AM.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 8:25 PM #7
Hellfrozeover
Tartan McBadgerface

15 Achievements

View My Journal

That polish colour is gorgeous! Congrats on growing them out so long!

I had mine gel painted constantly for about three years and grew them out because we got a third dog and my nails were essentially the cost for his food. They're a lot healthier without the gel and I end up cutting them when it gets hard to type. Hair supplements like Biotin are really good for continued nail strength, especially if your nail beds have been damaged due to biting.

Your boyfriend's problems with his mother aren't your problems and he shouldn't be inflicting them on you. You have no obligation to look a certain way or tone down your self-expression just to suit him <3 Do what makes you feel happy
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 8:38 PM #8
frogz2007
Inventor

1 Achievements

Without, without a doubt. Say that over and over really fast.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 3:24 PM #9
Zena-Dew-Drop
Original Poster

Field Researcher

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogz2007
Without, without a doubt. Say that over and over really fast.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you mean "without" nail polish my nails are gross "without a doubt" ?

I haven't come back to check this thread for a day or two because I was scared I would read the replies and have the majority of people tell me my nails were gross. Honestly posting this question seems kind of stupid in retrospect, as I've never been good with criticism, and the way I phrased the question automatically indicated that some people will find my nails gross, and invited those people to tell me that. So I think I'll refrain from asking for opinions on my appearance from strangers online, who can comment without having to say it to me in person, in the future. (Not that I found any of the replies in this thread to be all that upsetting, in fact some of the things people have said have been very encouraging, so thank you to those people.)

I've never been one to let critiques or comments about myself (no matter how small) go easily, in that I will think about them over and over until I begin to doubt myself. This has been no exception, as the same day I posted this question, I started to overthink what my boyfriend had told me, and I cut my nails to slightly longer than the end of my fingertips. After I did this, I regretted it immediately. Not so much the fact that I had given myself shorter nails, as I can grow them back, but that I let his comment bother me to the point that I changed something about myself to make someone else happy. Especially someone who I know very well and can and DO say no to over various things, so I wonder why I didn't say no this time...

Regardless of the fact that I regret how I responded to his comment by cutting my nails, I appreciate the lesson in why you shouldn't let other people's opinions make you doubt yourself and do something you know you don't want to do. Hopefully that will get easier with age, as I'm told the older you are, the less you care about what others think of you.

Also I'm sorry for the very long reply, I'm obviously too invested in this.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 3:59 PM #10
frogz2007
Inventor

1 Achievements

oops. Sorry. I was meaning I prefer your nails WITHOUT the polish. Sorry for wording my comment in a confusing manner.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 4:40 PM #11
grammapat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Pretty, delicate hands, they would look good with shorter, rounded PINK nails! But longer is fine too, and whatever color & decorations you like! I used to let my baby finger nail grow SUUUPER long, used to have pictures, brushed stuff, gems, etc. Do keep those rough edges filed, and don't forget to keep those hangnails fixed - that and peeling polish can be hard NOT to pick or bite at!

Namaste
Old 12th Nov 2017, 1:18 AM #12
Scarlet_117
Field Researcher

4 Achievements

I've been biting mine for all my life too so you're not alone. Mine won't grow back cause of my habit

Please No Requests and do not send requests by PM. Please see rule #5 here for details: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=135664
Old 12th Nov 2017, 5:12 PM #13
AlienWithABox
Test Subject

As a former nail-biter, GOOD JOB! Your nails look great with polish. Without polish, they need a good filing. Squaring them off would suit your nailbed quite well. I don't think they look gross at all, just a bit damaged. Biting does that. A good nail oil would fix it really easily; it'll make your nails look and feel stronger and they'll stay long for longer!

Happy trails!
Old 13th Nov 2017, 11:57 PM #14
cherry4567
Field Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_117
I've been biting mine for all my life too so you're not alone. Mine won't grow back cause of my habit

Have you tried one of those bitter nail polishes? They actually worked for me and now I can grow my nails

But be aware not to lick your fingers after eating something delicious.Not a good experience.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 7:59 AM #15
ribbonista
Instructor

THEY SUCK

just kidding, they're super nice! i've never had a nail biting habit BUT i do "peel" off the excess, especially when i'm restless or nervous. super great restraint to have grown them out for so long, prouda you!

simblr: ribbonistasims
Old 18th Nov 2017, 4:32 AM #16
Scarlet_117
Field Researcher

4 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry4567
Have you tried one of those bitter nail polishes? They actually worked for me and now I can grow my nails

But be aware not to lick your fingers after eating something delicious.Not a good experience.

Thanks for the advise, I'm buying some this weekend.

Please No Requests and do not send requests by PM. Please see rule #5 here for details: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=135664

Section jump: