Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 11:00 AM
Possible to make front-load dryers & stackable washer/dryer?
I know I'm a newb at Sims3 stuff-- I really haven't even started. I also know that I should start out on something easy first, but I was wondering if it is possible to make a functioning front-load dryer that would look very similar to the front-load washers. I want to have the transparent door that allows you to see the clothes spinning inside (or maybe just an image to create the illusion of tumbling laundry.

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to make a stackable washer/dryer combo.

I'm thinking about two types: one where there are actually separate machines and the dryer can be placed on top of the washer, and another where it is that small unit that can be found in hotels and small apartments where the dryer is on top and connected to the washer but there is space to set clothes on top of the washer.. Does that make sense?

Additionally, I would like for the separate machines to have placement slots on top (although the washer's slot would be filled by the dryer if it was stacked on top).

Has anyone looked in to this at all?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 5:06 AM
I know exactly the kind of washer/dryer unit you mean...I have one of those myself in fact. The issues with the object(s) you're talking about would seem to hinge on animation at the very least. Given that this aspect of S3 modding is in a very alpha stage it's unclear that what you want to do is currently possible.

If it were possible to create/borrow the Sim's animations for the dryer a second set would most likely have to be made and assigned to the dryer for the times when it was on top of the washer instead of on the floor...otherwise the Sim would keep bending over to load/empty it and it would appear that all the animations for the dryer were actually occurring at the level of the washer if you know what I mean.

If you're interested in learning to mesh for Sims 3 I would suggest a far less ambitious project to start with.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 9:31 AM
Thanks, orangemittens. I've actually meshed for Sims 2 before but I haven't really tried with Sims 3 yet. When I initially looked in to it the tools were very limited. Now it seems there are more tools but I'm sort of at a loss of where to begin. The things I eventually want to make are so complicated.

I take it there isn't a way to change the target point at which a Sim reaches yet? I know for Sims 2 you could change the height at which a Sim reached for something with the target slot (or something like that-- it has been a long time since I've messed with any modding). I know you could also change how far a Sim stood from an object. I vaguely recall having to adjust a mirror I made because my Sims were so close their noses kept going through the mirror when they were sprucing themselves up.

I know that at the least I want to make the transparent-door frontload dryer (which I suppose could borrow from the washer).

I wish I could convince EA Games to make the stackable washer/dryer unit. Knowing my luck they'd make it a store item and I'd be screwed. I have Hughesnet so I can't even download the store items that I purchased.

For visual reference, I eventually would like to be able to make

The evil part of me is tempted to one day make this just to freak people out:

I keep these pictures as a reminder to myself of what I plan to do eventually.

I've already started the mesh for a washer/dryer that is on a pedestal, but I should probably read through how to extract meshes so I can compare it to the mesh I'm currently working on. At least if I make the general meshes I can be one step closer to my goal.
Alchemist
#4 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 12:58 PM
There are essentially two tool systems to choose from. s3pe/s3oc system and tsrw system. s3pe/s3oc has come a long way since S3 came out. I haven't used tsrw but it sounds as if it has too. My understanding of that latter tool though is that, while it's user-friendly for people starting out, it doesn't have the capability to do really advanced mods like s3pe/s3oc system does.

I think the easiest way to get started is to pick a system and do one of the beginning tutorials for it. Certainly, if you pick s3pe/s3oc there is plenty of support here both in terms of tutorials and help for specific questions if you have them. Given your eventual ambitious goals that might be your best bet...but opinion on that might vary.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
My understanding of that latter tool though is that, while it's user-friendly for people starting out, it doesn't have the capability to do really advanced mods like s3pe/s3oc system does.

That's exactly why there's an exchange plug-in for the stuff which isn't supported yet. Although TSRW can do some quite advanced stuff, some is missing because it takes a longer time to do an interface for it. The tool makes sure the workflow is smooth and correct to create something, having beginners make as few mistakes as possible. If you want to do some advanced editing on a resource, just kick it over to S3PE and do the editing there, save it and it's updated in TSRW. Just as easy as that. Thanks to the Jones for the plug-in which is a great help indeed.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 11:58 PM
lol...as I said...opinions are gonna vary. Personally, I like having just one major tool to learn and S3 for the foreseeable future is more comprehensive. Given all the great tutorials and people willing to help it isn't too tough to learn...especially for someone who already has meshing experience.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions teko and orangemittens! I really appreciate it. I will probably dabble with both tools and figure out which one is more my style.
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
There are essentially two tool systems to choose from. s3pe/s3oc system and tsrw system... My understanding of that latter tool though is that, while it's user-friendly for people starting out, it doesn't have the capability to do really advanced mods like s3pe/s3oc system does.

In many ways, the two approaches basically do the same thing. They replace existing game files, whether it be meshes or textures, with other files. TSRW automates a lot of the process and adds an easy to understand interface. I have used both, and and S3PE really does require that you know what you are doing -- it has a much steeper learning curve.

For 99.9% of the projects one might want to do, TSRW probably is the tool of choice simply because it has an easy to use interface. But then, given the choice between doing things the hard way and doing things the easy way, many people opt for the hard way. I guess it makes them feel like they have accomplished something?

I don't know if a project like this is something where the tools -- TSRW or S3PE makes any difference at all. I think it has more to do with your meshing program. That is, you would raise either the washer or the dryer mesh along the Y axis in Milkshape so that it could be stacked on the other item using the Move Objects cheat. It will take a lot of experimentation. That's probably why it has not been done.

Of course you will have to re-do the meshes because the game washers and dryers load from the top, but the washers and dryers you want load from the front.

Ultimatelly, I suspect your animations will be borked because no one has quite figured out how to do custom animations. Or at least they are not sharing with the rest of the community.

It looks like a lot of work. It also seems like a pretty advanced project for someone new to object creation.
Alchemist
#9 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 8:51 PM
Actually, I think a better way of trying first would be to see how things worked out if you added a slot to the washer top and then made the dryer an item capable of hopping onto a slot. That would be a nicer solution than making players use a cheat if you could get it to work.

Also, I can't agree that it would make no difference which tool you attempted this project with. Creating a working single washer/dryer unit like the one pictured will require new animations to make it look/function correctly. There is an animation tool currently in testing in the Modding Section. That tool currently requires working in S3PE in order to package the animation and connect it to the object. While the tool is still in alpha/beta stage hopefully progress will continue as it is currently one of only two animation tools available for Sims 3. The other requires S3PE to package animations with also.

It would definitely not be a beginner's project though...that's for sure.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 12:38 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 16th Mar 2011 at 1:29 AM.
I dont think you need new animations for it tho.
All you need to do is to rotate the joints, easier said then done maybe but doable.
Possible with TSRW but you might need a rig editor aswell.

edit,
had a look at my files and i already have a dryer similar as wat you want, it comes with one of the EP's(LN)
Screenshots
Alchemist
#11 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 2:29 AM
That clone would definitely be a nice start. And it seems possible that changing the rigging might work on the tumbling laundry and the door opening part. But what about the Sim animation part? Do they bend over to take the laundry out? If so I'm not certain just changing the rig would fix that. I don't have that object so I can't look at it to see what the animation does.
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 5:50 PM
You are right about the sims animations, i was talking bout the object anim.
Lol if you really want to save space then make a invisible washer and place it on the same spot as the dryer(moveobjects on)
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 2:53 AM
But if you have the invisible dryer in the same place as the washer, wouldn't one get in the way of the other when you go to interact with them?
I hadn't realized there was a new dryer with Late Night.. Maybe the next expansion will give ups stackable washer/dryer. I won't hold my breath.
I'm going to look in game to see how the LN dryer animates...
Thanks for all of the responses.

I'm thinking I will probably start with something a little bit easier, like cloning the small piano from LN and changing the mesh to make a wooden piano (one that isn't electronic). Too bad the game only came with the keyboard style piano and a grand piano but didn't include a medium wooden piano. The keys don't seem to animate so hopefully it won't be too difficult to tackle.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 5:43 AM
you just cut both bounding boxes in half but it would be better to just add the wash function to the dryer.
Dont know if this is already possible tho
Alchemist
#15 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 8:30 AM
It seems like that should be possible but you'd prolly have to make your own script to combine wash and dry functions in a single object.
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 10:43 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 19th Mar 2011 at 11:05 AM.
if that isn't possible you could compare the slots, most objects use the same setup
I would then clone the washer and replace meshes, textures and the rig file.
Just have no idea how to relink the sim animations..
Wats the format of the file for the object function(were is it stored?)
Alchemist
#17 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:22 PM
If you mean what I think you mean you're talking about the script. It's in the OBJK. Click on the OBJK line in S3PE and down near the bottom click the Edit OBJK button. You'll see the script. The thing is I don't think the animation tool is ready to handle this project yet (the Sim animation part). It's still in alpha testing phase in the Modding forum.