Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th May 2011 at 7:18 AM Last edited by Nekonyami : 26th May 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Default Please help with my first vehicle mesh!
Hi guys, I need some help with my first object mesh.
I'm trying to import a mesh from TS2 to TS3 and make it a vehicle. As it has already been created in TS2, the mapping for the texture is correct and I don't need to change anything. I made the texture into a base texture, mask, and specular, and I don't think it really requires a dropshadow. Will I still need to install LithUnwrap or any other UV mapping program and do stuff with it, or am I done? If I don't need to, what's the next step? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next :/
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 26th May 2011 at 7:52 AM
If you want it to be a working vehicle you need to assigne the vertices to the correct joints.
Import the original vehicle that you cloned and export its meshes, import that mesh first in Milkshape.
You can see how the parts are assigned(body/wheels and brakes(if there)

Assigne your mesh the same way just keep in mind that if the wheels are not on the same spot you need to update the rig file
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ad.php?t=390022

If you are using TSRW you can use your 3 detail meshes to create the shadow meshes, TSRW does this for you.(mesh tab)
Besides that you also want to update the lightning files, driver position and some minor stuff.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th May 2011 at 8:26 AM Last edited by Nekonyami : 26th May 2011 at 8:46 AM.
Well, I got the vehicle in game
It works great except the position of the sim:

Is there any way to fix this? I don't want to use TSRW. The broom is cloned from a bike.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:10 AM
it is possible to attache the hands to the broom.
You might need to change the angle a bit of the broom so it comes a little closer to the hands.

In your rig file you have the option to change its positions, you can even rotate them.
The rest of the arms will follow the hands(they will stretch)

You need to install Atevera's plugin(link in TSR thread)
Open your package with S3PE and right click the rig file, then edit.
It will be a bit hard when you do this for the first time, matter of trying and testing.

Edit,
I would personally clone a car for it or did you manage to kill the leg animation?
If you clone a car the sims will sit still
By editing the foot and hand position you can make him fit the broom real nice.
You also can rotate the whole body so he still leans forward
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:15 AM
Ha ha, I had a try at converting the broom too, but the problem with the sim's hand positions made me abandon the idea. I don't think there's a way to change the position the sim takes on when driving (if there is, I'd love to know how). So when making non-standard 'vehicles' I've found that I have to adapt the vehicle to how the sim is going to be positioned, not the other way around. With the broom, you need to move the level of the broom mesh higher in your meshing program so that the sim will be sitting on it, and tip the front of it up or down to line up with the level of his hands, but, you're still left with the problem of having two curled up hands not holding onto anything. Maybe you could make something for his hands to be holding onto, I dunno, maybe a set of reins attached to the broom, or maybe some separate object like a magic wand?

EDIT: Ah, I see Bloom has posted at the same time as me - yes, I didn't even think of the leg animation - you'll be better off cloning the broom from a car, so that you don't have the sim peddling his legs furiously while riding the broom! Also interesting to know that you can change the positions of the hands - will have to look into that!
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:17 AM
you can rotate the hands so they hold the broom, not a problem.
The rest of the arm will follow the hand, same with the foot slot.
I did it with this car: http://submissions.thesimsresource....air/id/1061302/
Rotated and moved the hand so it grabs the side window
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
you can rotate the hands so they hold the broom, not a problem.
The rest of the arm will follow the hand, same with the foot slot.

That's very interesting to hear - so we just open the package with S3PE and play around with editing the rig file? Will have to try that out myself, thank you!

EDIT: Just had a look at the car you added a link to above - love it!
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:24 AM
Esmeralda, if you want to make the same broom I would be so happy. I don't think I'll be able to understand the RIG thing, haha.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:29 AM
yup, i have another project that has a heavily modded sim pose
Its so funny when a sim rides on it
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nekonyami
Esmeralda, if you want to make the same broom I would be so happy. I don't think I'll be able to understand the RIG thing, haha.

Hmm, I don't know if I'll be able to understand it either - I've never done anything along those lines, and I've just tried it out by opening a car package file with s3pe. I right-clicked the rig file and chose Rig Editor, but got the error message: 'Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.' I do have the Atavera plugins. The only other way I can access the rig file within S3PE is the Hex Editor, which I have NO hope of figuring out! Bloom, is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

Love the unicycle, by the way!
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:37 AM
Do you have the Granny2.dll installed?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nekonyami
Do you have the Granny2.dll installed?

Yep. It's dated 10/10/2006, is that the right version? EDIT: Just went back and re-downloaded the source (the Granny Crowd Scene demo) and I see it's still the same version...
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:45 AM
I have no idea xD All I know is you put it in the S3PE folder. I didn't install it yet, might much later though. The screenshots alone are hard enough to understand. And HEX editors are out of the question for me too.

Cool unicycle, Base :D
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:47 AM
Also Atevera updated his plugin (Today )
You might want to try em.
http://code.google.com/p/s3pi-wrappers/

the granny file should be in S3PE directory
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:48 AM
Hmm, a bit of a mystery - must go now but will come back to ponder over it later!

EDIT: Ha ha, Bloom posted the same time as me again! Yes, the granny file is in the S3PE folder. Will try the new plugin later, thanks for the link!
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:52 AM
I have to go too, 4 AM here.
I'll check the RIG thing out when I have time, I have a feeling it'll take awhile to figure out.
Thanks for the help guys :3
Sockpuppet
#17 Old 26th May 2011 at 12:11 PM
Its not that hard, just start by figuring out wich axis you need to edit.(and write it down )
The rotating is a bit harder but start by rotating it over the top and you will see quickly wat axis you need(rotate it 45 degrees orso)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th May 2011 at 2:54 PM
Hooray, I downloaded the new Atavera plugins, copied everything to my S3PE folder and the Rig Editor starts up OK now! I must have been missing a file or something in my previous installation. So Nekonyami, you should be able to get this Rig Editor stuff to work - only problem now is trying to figure out how to use it! Thanks again Bloom, will do some experimenting when I get the chance.