Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2020 at 11:50 AM Last edited by murfee : 16th Oct 2020 at 11:32 AM.
Default Specular issues; help please? (Dragon Valley Needed!)
Hi all! I've made EA's Baby Dragon Eggs recolorable, but I'm having the DEVIL of a time with the speculars (as usual).

I want the eggs to be suuuuper shiny (like golden goose eggs), so I made the specular white and the alpha channel black, right? But the eggs stay matte!
Then I made the specular just plain white with no alpha at all, to FORCE shine, but they're STILL MATTE.
No matter what pattern or lighting they have, they don't change.

I have tried this over a dozen times already, I swear, but the eggs just REFUSE to get shiny. I delete my cache files and that doesn't work. I loaded the eggs in different saves and that doesn't work. I tried recloning them and making them from scratch and nothing works!

I suspect that it's something going on on MY end, making my game just refuse to acknowledge my efforts.

So, can someone else please test these eggs for me? As long as the eggs work fine for everyone else, I'll at least know that I'm not going crazy and that I AM making speculars the right way or not. (The eggs are found under Plants. You'll need Dragon Valley for them to work.) I'd really appreciate the help!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 25th Sep 2020 at 5:57 PM
Update: I have it on full authority from two lovely simblr testers that my speculars are frikkin BUSTED, and that yes, I have no bloody clue what I'm doing.

Does anyone know how to FIX speculars so that they let the objects be shiny?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 1:19 PM
MEGA UPDATE: 10000 years later, and I figured it out: NEVER clone that stupid little Plant Ivy Ball Topiary for decor/clutter--it effs up the specular every time, and IDKY. Instead, clone the Atrium Fern, and the speculars will be fine. Which sucks, cuz like ALLLL of my decor's been cloned from the Topiary, not the Atrium. No wonder I've been confused about speculars all this time!
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 2:00 PM
Glad you were able to fix it! I also cloned the Ivy ball and encountered this problem, I've started cloning the little sculture of the cowplant instead for small deco objects.