Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 12:50 AM
Default How do I link skintone
Ok, I've just created a new bodyshape & would like to link one of shady's skintones to it so, when my sim takes a shower she would keep that shape. I read thru this tutorial written by marvine back in 2005. It talks about top & bottom meshes & my sim doesn't have those & it's just a one piece body. Is there a solution or a mini tutorial someone can offer to help out cause, this might help others as well. I don't know how to do this since my sim has a single whole body as to oppose to the tutorial mentioned. Forever gratfull &thank you.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 12:53 AM
You'll need to split your whole body into a top and bottom mesh to make it work, and then link the top and bottom as described in Marvine's tutorials. It's probably a little easier to link the parts now than it was back in 2005 but if you're making body shapes you should know the standard linking procedure - should be the same as for a normal clothing recolour, IIRC.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 2:17 AM
Default Thanks
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
You'll need to split your whole body into a top and bottom mesh to make it work, and then link the top and bottom as described in Marvine's tutorials. It's probably a little easier to link the parts now than it was back in 2005 but if you're making body shapes you should know the standard linking procedure - should be the same as for a normal clothing recolour, IIRC.
Iguess you mean it's much easier with SimPE to gather all the resources in just one click if that's what you mean?. ya it is. The prodedure I would follow would be to open the modified mesh in MilkS. & then where exactly in mid section would I decide to select & lets say i chose all the vertices below that section, what would i do with it?. Should I duplicate & then what. Sorry, I'm a great sculpterer I found out but, I don't know where & how i would add a bottom & a top mesh .All this stuff has to be done before I can extract the resource not & the shape. Please be a little more specific as I have'nt seen any kind of tutorials on this yet. when i get better at this, I'll upload (another thing I'll have to learn) cause this body i've made looks great but,it needs a skintone when it's in nude stage otherwise, it becomes an anticlimax when she takes a shower reverting to maxis mesh. I appreciat all your help HP & I understand if you're bussy. Thanks either way.
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 9:41 AM
Okay, here's the basic steps of what you need to do:

1) Clone a regular base game bottom mesh for the age/gender you're trying to do. Adult female I'm guessing.
2) Import that mesh into Milkshape - this gives you the skeleton and the comments you need on that mesh group.
3) Import your full body mesh over the top, but not importing duplicate bones when it asks you.
4) Chop off the top of your full body mesh - figure out where you want the waist seam for your top/bottom (based on where it is on the bottom you imported) and delete the top. Do not align normals or change anything else - just remove the unnecessary portion.
5) Copy the mesh name and comments from the cloned bottom over to your new bottom, and remove the cloned part. Do any morphs the same way.
6) Export your file from Milkshape and replace the GMDC in your cloned bottom.
7) Repeat the above steps for the top - clone a top, import it into Milkshape, import your full body again, chop off the bottom at the same line of vertices you used before as the seam, fix comments/names/morphs, export, import into your clone.

That'll give you your top and bottom mesh - you can use these as just regular skintight/nude clothes meshes too if you plan on sharing what you're making.

Then you can link the 3DIRs in the skintone to the top and bottom's CRES and SHPE individually - I'm not sure if the PJSE linking tool works for skintones but either way it's not really difficult.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 12:41 PM
Ok, It sounds very good indeed HP. I think I can do this when my registration is complete next week hopfully. I guess I could keep the bottom& top meshes in the same folder as the full body after I'm done with linking right? This was indeed a good mini tut.& I thank you 1000 times. You know a lot & have a teaching talent as I know, there are people who know a lot but, can't teach it. Have a nice day HP. You made my day.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 10:54 PM
Default new problem
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Okay, here's the basic steps of what you need to do:

1) Clone a regular base game bottom mesh for the age/gender you're trying to do. Adult female I'm guessing.
2) Import that mesh into Milkshape - this gives you the skeleton and the comments you need on that mesh group.
3) Import your full body mesh over the top, but not importing duplicate bones when it asks you.
4) Chop off the top of your full body mesh - figure out where you want the waist seam for your top/bottom (based on where it is on the bottom you imported) and delete the top. Do not align normals or change anything else - just remove the unnecessary portion.
5) Copy the mesh name and comments from the cloned bottom over to your new bottom, and remove the cloned part. Do any morphs the same way.
6) Export your file from Milkshape and replace the GMDC in your cloned bottom.
7) Repeat the above steps for the top - clone a top, import it into Milkshape, import your full body again, chop off the bottom at the same line of vertices you used before as the seam, fix comments/names/morphs, export, import into your clone.

That'll give you your top and bottom mesh - you can use these as just regular skintight/nude clothes meshes too if you plan on sharing what you're making.

Then you can link the 3DIRs in the skintone to the top and bottom's CRES and SHPE individually - I'm not sure if the PJSE linking tool works for skintones but either way it's not really difficult.
I did exactley as you told me & after I replaced the GMDC, I found out that the results were not suitable for nude clothing to begin with so, i discarded the whole project cause it was showing parts of the shirt collar & the bottom had the red capri pants sitting very tight. Anyway I found a corset type top that in Gmdc & other resources it's labled as nude top which I guess is what i want to use but, I can ot find a skintight bottom to use for this purpose. So i'm stuck I guess & this is half of the work for a beginner like me. Any Idea. Also when I wanted to replace the Gmdc I had to open the saved file with all the resources being listed, then using the tool,extracting stage in order to get the gmdc& other three recorses & replace. Am i doing this in right order cause after this I got the top & bottom changed except they were not nude at all & they just copied the cloned meshes clothing on themself. I can only hope an expert like you can clear this up for me cause,otherwise i don't know where else I can get help. Sorry, I hope this is not so much to ask. Thanks either way.
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 10:02 AM
Just because it had textures from non-nude clothing doesn't mean it's not suitable for nude clothing - you'll have to mess with the textures separately. Just worry about the shape for now, not textures.

You can clone from any base game top/bottom, blank out the textures, and then just modify the mesh for aftopnude/afbottomnude as your base in Milkshape.