Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#6651 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
It's not so much that as the fact that some people may consider it offensive and MTS prefers to keep it clean.

Think about it. A fair number of people on this board probably are spastic, or have connections to someone who is. You wouldn't expect to get away with using the N-word on one of your own sims, would you?

If it's a slur, don't use it. That's pretty simple.

Back on topic, I want a hack that lets me click on something in buy mode and change the thumbnail, rather than having to go into SimPE and do it. Normally I'm fine doing things in SimPE instead of in game, but I have so many useless thumbnails, and it's such a hassle to write down all the names that I never do it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Instructor
#6652 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
I used her templates and made them myself. I initially wanted to make a set for each type of supernatural to share, but I still have to ask the original skin creators for permission. And well, I have too many sets! Besides, what makes sense to me might not make sense for everyone so I'd encourage you to make your own.

Using them for supernaturals was the very first idea that popped into my head when I found them after they first came out. I still use geneticized skins in some exclusively supernatural hoods but I also thought that it'd be interesting to link them to hair and skin color, hence the correlated skins. There seems to be an issue with the alien templates that Phaenoh and I are still working on, though it's not too big a problem in my hoods wherein everyone's an alien with the 16-set correlated skin defaults. Example - I want varying degrees of fur on black-haired werewolves so S1 could have the lightest gray fur and S4 would have dark gray. That way, townies would blend in without me having to alter their genetics. With a mod that prevents the default werewolf overlay from appearing, you could have eternal furries if you like.

Love your idea. It would be cool to have custom werewolves skin for Halloween...

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6653 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 5:39 PM
@Sketching there is a default replacement table that makes the activity table recolorable http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=382014

I recommend everybody use it or one of the default replacement recolorable dollhouses as well rather than cloning for every recolor.
Forum Resident
#6654 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Think about it. A fair number of people on this board probably are spastic, or have connections to someone who is. You wouldn't expect to get away with using the N-word on one of your own sims, would you?

If it's a slur, don't use it. That's pretty simple.

Are you HONESTLY trying to equate that with "the N-Word"? UNBELIEVABLE...

So please, provide me with a list of appropriate words to use to describe the actions of a sim that are ridiculous (assuming that no one finds 'ridiculous' offensive), and i'll HAPPILY stick to those.

There are PLENTY of things I see on TS2 that offend me every single day, but I take into account that other people and other cultures have different standards than mine, and what offends me may not offend others. That's why, when I see something offensive, i avoid it and keep it to myself. There are mods on MTS right now that discuss the "sexiness" of toddlers and children. I find that DEPLORABLE and DISGUSTING. But it's got a fair number of downloads. There's others related to child abuse and mental illness, and I don't report them, i just dont indulge them.

Where I'm from, that's NOT a slur. It means the same thing as to call your sim a fool. If anybody's upset and bothered that I hurt my poor sim's feelings -- loosen up. But if you're going to impose those standards, then they MUST be imposed on everybody, equally. Everything offensive ought to be removed. Won't take long to realize the ridiculousness of that endeavor. May be 'simple' to you, but... i'm VERY offended that you'd call me simple. That's a slur.

This'll be the last i speak of this. And i'll await the list of approved words that i'm permitted to use.

-gE
>=)
Inventor
#6655 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 6:14 PM
@ankoyume Thank you. It's amazing what your mind can think of when it's desperate. They do say that necessity is the mother of invention.

A problem I have with geneticizing "supernatural" skins on a scale is that if you have several, it's harder to try and arrange them. Let's say an S4 has a child with a "werewolf" with a skin value of 9.0 - if you have Plantsim skins geneticized at 5.0, you might have a Plantsim child! It might work for certain set-ups though it doesn't for mine, unfortunately, which is why I opted for correlated skins linked to hair color to simulate specific paranormal races, but this is also a problem if you want multiple races in one hood, unless you'll go for something like black hair = vampires, brown hair = werewolves, blondes = elves, redheads = plantsims (I went for simplicity here).

If you're not opposed to the idea, you could just set all of your skins to custom so that everything's a 50-50, but it'd overpower any default skins you have; I do that in some hoods where supernaturals are dominant anyway. Neither are perfect systems and we don't have much of a choice but to use workarounds for more variety, though that also makes everyone's games unique depending on their creativity.

And it's almost Halloween! What better time do we have to play with our supernaturals? Go for it!

@gdayars Thank you. I already had that default but I just went for wishful thinking that it wasn't needed for recoloring. I abuse faerie7queen's recolors.

For dollhouses, I use TS3 and TSM conversions because they suit my supernatural hoods. I'll post them in the Look What I Found thread so I won't clutter this one.
Mad Poster
#6656 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 6:49 PM
Something that stops those Social Service police from WIPING the memory of every toddler or child you adopt! IRL even babies can have a memory of stuff! But a 14 year old that remembers NOTHING (except a vague friendship to people it doesn't even remember as mommy and big sister)!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6657 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:08 PM
Ok I am going to refer back to the spaz comment. I was floored everyone had the reaction they did to the word. I had to go in staffchat to find out WHY. Please understand, in my part of the world, spaz isn't an insult, and Grin doesn't live that far from me geographically. He didn't react well when people dumped on him, but please understand neither one of us knew it was an offensive word.

Definition of spaz in my part of the world: somebody who is a bit hyper. It is used in a light, teasing manner. It isn't offensive in the least. I had no clue it was an insult to people with CP and neither did he. All I am going to say, is that please understand that we have people from all over here, and sometimes people will say something inadvertently, not knowing it is an insult. Perhaps a simple explanation would have been better... than going off. That goes for all parties.
Mad Poster
#6658 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:26 PM
A modded object that randomizes the one true hobby for the currently selected Sim. Normally the OTH is based on personality and gets rather predictable.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#6659 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
A modded object that randomizes the one true hobby for the currently selected Sim. Normally the OTH is based on personality and gets rather predictable.

You can use the SimBlender to randomize OTHs.
Forum Resident
#6660 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:40 PM
I had always wanted some other sim traits and characteristics to be part of the attraction code of NL. I thought eye color, for instance, would make a good trait that a sim found attractive. Some sims might like blue eyes... some might prefer green. Some may love gray eyes or brown eyes. But i'd always wondered why that wasn't an option. Seems, with the later EPs the ability to add attraction traits came up, when EPs added attraction to supernaturals, or those with certain high skills.

While I would've liked to see the ability to use eye color, it was explained to me that eye color and skintone are not (at least, without mods) changeable, whereas all the other sim attractions are. I was told that things like this will never be added to the game, for the potential abuse in fostering discrimination. That had never occurred to me before. Sadly, it's probably true.

-gE
Mad Poster
#6661 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:48 PM
Political correctness - I hate it in RL, in a world of PIXALS it's just ridiculous. Sensitive snowflake, anyone?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Inventor
#6662 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:51 PM
@grinevilly I would've liked this too. Since you know I overuse supernaturals but not in the default game manner, I would've loved to be able to set eye colors as turn-ons since they're sometimes the defining traits of certain races. I also would've liked turn-ons for personality - I know it's already affected by chemistry but it'd still add a nice touch. Imagine an opposites attract or birds of a feather scenario.

I find it strange that unchangeable traits can't be used as turn-ons. What in the world?

Now that you bring it up, it'd also have been nice to have turn-ons for OTHs (bookworm and fitness couples!), or even the ability to customize the chemistry system. In one hood, you can set Fortune and Knowledge to have higher base chemistry and in another, increase attraction between Popularity and Pleasure. Or link attraction to facial features - I want pointy ears and deep-set eyes, for example.

You just opened a whole can of worms for me!
Mad Poster
#6663 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Political correctness - I hate it in RL, in a world of PIXALS it's just ridiculous. Sensitive snowflake, anyone?

Can we please not go from one discussion of one offensive word and then use ANOTHER term? Snowflakes-reference is not okay, due to it's long history of being used to diminish and make fun of different kinds of disabled people. Whether you agree or not, or get it or not, fact is some terms will feel offensive to some people and if you have basic respect for your fellow human you could consider putting your feelings aside and use a different word that won't make remind them of years of discrimination and ridicule. It's not like there aren't plenty of other options to choose from.

I can understand getting annoyed by the debate if people get heated and start throwing insults back, but all I've seen in this thread is people calmly asking to use a different word, and pointing out that to some people it is considered rude/offensive and that is why it's getting disagreed with.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6664 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:27 PM
"directs conversation back to non political conversations"

so there is also simwardrobe's hobby mod. Looks like a purple vase. that lets you see what their one true hobby is, and allows you to change it. You can change it with insimenator and simblender both as well I think. I don't remember if it lets you randomize it however.
Mad Poster
#6665 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
Now that you bring it up, it'd also have been nice to have turn-ons for OTHs (bookworm and fitness couples!)

That would be awesome!! :lovestruc (I know I've said it before, but I want athletic wear to be a TO. Also outerwear. Pretty sure those are possible TOs irl. )

Edit: Sim blender is the only way I know of that allows randomization of OTHs. I often hit the random option on it several times to get an idea of the options that given sim has, as it's not 100% "random," but based on both personality and interests.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6666 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:31 PM
well they should have added more I think! I think it is sad that we had to have alienism added with a mod. I am sure it wasn't included because it was something you are born as (and falls in the same category as the eyes, something you can't change)

but it still felt weird not to have it, when you have the other supernatural types.
Mad Poster
#6667 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:35 PM
And what about talent badges as TOs? Since we have skill-related ones already.
Forum Resident
#6668 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:42 PM Last edited by grinevilly : 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:51 PM. Reason: corrected the spelling of "fisherpeoplel"
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
And what about talent badges as TOs? Since we have skill-related ones already.

Right?? Those fishermen (fisherpeople?? not sure)... with their rubber boot-pants... and their hats full of lures... and that smell of dead fish!! omg, drool!! hahahaha =)

And lest we forget all those Ms. Clauses out there, looking for just the right gold badge in toy making to become Mrs. Claus! hahah =) It's a fun idea, Rosawyn! That'd be neat!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#6669 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:47 PM
I just need more variety in TOs, because a lot of the time my sims end up just generally attracted to everyone. Which I suppose works well for Romance sims, but maybe not so much for everyone else?
Top Secret Researcher
#6670 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:55 PM
Kigurumis. Kigurumis would be very cute.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#6671 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Ok I am going to refer back to the spaz comment. I was floored everyone had the reaction they did to the word. I had to go in staffchat to find out WHY. Please understand, in my part of the world, spaz isn't an insult, and Grin doesn't live that far from me geographically. He didn't react well when people dumped on him, but please understand neither one of us knew it was an offensive word.

Definition of spaz in my part of the world: somebody who is a bit hyper. It is used in a light, teasing manner. It isn't offensive in the least. I had no clue it was an insult to people with CP and neither did he. All I am going to say, is that please understand that we have people from all over here, and sometimes people will say something inadvertently, not knowing it is an insult. Perhaps a simple explanation would have been better... than going off. That goes for all parties.
Thank you for one of the calmest, wisest, most sensible posts I've seen on such a subject. Please everybody, try not to give offence, or to take offence where none is intended!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6672 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 9:16 PM
oh, I've never really noticed the randomize option on the SimBlender -- I'll take a look. I keep meaning to install SimWardrobe's hobby adjuster and immediately forgetting. I do that now before I forget again.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6673 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 9:21 PM
A mod that makes dollhouses raise Christmas skill and Film & Lit enthusiasm. I would download that so fast (and then actually start buying dollhouses for my sim children). :lovestruc :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#6674 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 9:24 PM
Christmas skill? Anyways, hopefully that would work on the custom recolourable mesh too.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6675 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 9:33 PM
it should... as long as all the default does is make it recolorable. and perhaps texture changes.

as long as they didn't make it all a standalone, it should work fine

I have often wondered why they didn't include a skill with it. Sims er dolls does take skills after all
Page 267 of 582