Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:12 PM
Default What else should I do to my teen sims before sending them to college?
I have played this game for quite some time now but I feel like I still am missing something. I know you guys have a lot of ideas about this. If you could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are you a contestant on Papa Chet's Pizza Pandemonium?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:15 PM
You can try and get them to Level 3 of a Teen Job and try and get them to an A+. You will have Overachiever memories/wants fulfilled and a grant opportunity.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:25 PM
What're you doing with them now?

If you feel like you're missing something, experiment. Hunt for a feature you've never tried. Read about other people's games and see what they do routinely that never occurred to you. Don't play "teens," play this sim in this situation. If he were a real teen, what would he be doing?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:35 PM
Well, right now he's living away from his parents and he's a fuccboi(Did I spell that correctly?). He was an overachiever too and I have almost maxed out all the skills. I didn't max it all out because I don't want college to be too easy.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:45 PM
Does he ever throw wild parties?
Does he ever take a group of friends on outings? Hanging out on the corner with your hoodlum friends is a time-honored tradition. There's a cuneiform tablet in which an artisan complains about that being all his son wants to do.
Does he ever have his family to visit?
Does he have any pets?
Does he own a business?
Does he have a hobby?
Does he have any romantic rivals?
Does he have any platonic female friends?
Does he have a garden?
What does he want that he can't have?

If all he does is date and skill, there's a whole wide world of experience out there for him. Let him go get it.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#6 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:07 PM
I have community lots that are teen/child only, so I send my teens there to hang out and make friends. There are different cliques and everything.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:21 PM
As a toddler/child you learn faster so that is when I have them train all skills to at least 3 and then just turn them lose to do what ever they want to, this will save a lot of time studying at collage.
Smart milk is your friend with toddlers.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Does he ever throw wild parties?
Does he ever take a group of friends on outings? Hanging out on the corner with your hoodlum friends is a time-honored tradition. There's a cuneiform tablet in which an artisan complains about that being all his son wants to do.
Does he ever have his family to visit?
Does he have any pets?
Does he own a business?
Does he have a hobby?
Does he have any romantic rivals?
Does he have any platonic female friends?
Does he have a garden?
What does he want that he can't have?

If all he does is date and skill, there's a whole wide world of experience out there for him. Let him go get it.

Thanks, brother. I have done some of your suggestions but I haven't tried some of it yet. I'd love to adopt a pet but the only interactions that are available are shoo pet and chase off. Do you know how to fix this?

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chet R. Chase
Thanks, brother. I have done some of your suggestions but I haven't tried some of it yet. I'd love to adopt a pet but the only interactions that are available are shoo pet and chase off. Do you know how to fix this?

The relationship with the stray/wolf might not be high enough. But, you can always adopt a pet from the phone or computer (and I think the newspaper).

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 5:28 AM
Sister, actually.

If you want to adopt a stray, you need to have someone in the household drop everything else. First Greet the animal, then Give Love and Play, alternately, as long as possible. If you catch the stray coming onto the lot you can usually get the adoption option before they leave, but make sure you feed it treats so it doesn't get hungry and take off.

If that seems like too much work, you can use the phone to call Service/Pet Adoption and choose from a variety of large dogs, small dogs, cats, kittens, and puppies. Make sure you check all the tabs to make sure you get a pet with a personality and learned behaviors, or lack thereof, you can live with. Pets who have learned behaviors and been taught tricks are more expensive.

Another thing you can do to get a pet is to go to a community lot with a pet cage on it. This doesn't have to be a dedicated pet store if you don't want one in the neighborhood. Any business can have an Adoption Day for pets with the local Humane Society; just stick the appliance on the lot. When you click the cage, you'll get a Create-a-Pet pop-up which lets you choose age (elder or adult; make sure you double-check which you have. You cannot buy puppies or kittens this way), breed, coat color, eye color, personality, the whole kit and kaboodle.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 10:52 AM
If they're abducted by aliens, they'll get a scholarship. Plenty of other things can also get the teen scholarships when the time comes to send them to university (this could also help you find more things to do with the teen). More on the scholarships in this link: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Scholarship
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 11:34 AM
Do up a portfolio for uni. That can be: Do up a junker car, cook a special dish, paint a good picture, sew a teddy bear, catch a range of fish or a golden trout, grow some thriving produce, write a novel etc.

Earn some badges.

Have a camp out in the woods/beach or if brave in a cemetery with friends. I do use mods for this type of thing such as open inventories and having them selectable on the sims pie menus.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:11 PM
Scholarships do add money, but teen life can be much more interesting as far as I am concerned.

He can start a band with friends and earn some extra money
He can go and play soccer or something with friends if he is an active sim
He can go fishing with a group of other teens
He can date
He can dig for treasure to help to pay for Uni
He can have a hobby like pottery and earn a badge - but make sure it does not take up all of his free time

As far as skills go, Sims have their whole lives to max those out!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:52 PM
If you have FT, adults can teach teens how to drive.

Teens also have most skilling options available, so if you want them to get a good start on their college years, having them do fun things that also add skill points is a neat idea. Maybe they can take up cooking (with all the kitchen disasters that would follow), perhaps even help their parents stat a bakery or some such. Maybe they can get a part-time job, or if you want a more challenging thing for them to do, perhaps have them take up a babysitting career (you'd need a few mods, though).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:38 PM
@simmer22 how do you work adults teaching them how to drive? it doesn't come with Sims 2 only sims 3.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 4:08 PM
Oops, sorry! I know it's a TS3 feature, but I was almost sure it was a TS2 feature, too. Maybe I was thinking about something else.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 5:25 PM
This was very timely as I just had several teens head of to uni. I like to throw graduation parties, have them hang out with sweethearts (whether they'll be together at uni or not), and have that last wild night out with their friends back home before they go off into the world. I did all the same stuff when I was heading to uni, and I remember it fondly

In terms of marks, I make sure they have a C+ or better (the minimum score for an average uni in my hoods), I look at household funds and determine where the first term's fees will come from: if they have it, then I have the parents pay, and if they don't then I assign the parents a student loan for the correct amount using that nifty student loan jar mod. The student will inherit said loans from their parents when they graduate. If the students get scholarships, mores the better: it'll apply to their loans, and room and board fees are used to edit the uni halls (since they tend to need to be edited to have the correct furniture. I use Veranka's Standard Issue 3t2 sets).

Any sim who's parent is determined that they should got to uni, but who is lacking the grades, will be held back that summer to study until they achieve the correct marks. Those sims are allowed to go to uni in the Spring term, and their cohort will be one term ahead. Any sims that don't have marks by the start of spring term can't go to uni that year. They can pursue non traditional university routes or simply not go.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 6:42 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 30th Jul 2018 at 6:53 PM.
I probably would open a vocational school (with SimWardrobe's Vacational Training mod) and have teen attend it (If for a badge, until silver is attained before he gets training to actual practice for further development, maybe in college). I send one to college the day when normally a teen transition to adult (before on birthday day basically).

Though I can't figure what I gonna with a college neighborhood, because 90% of population will always be unemployed, or employed to, entrepreneurs. So sending a teen to college out is of a question (though If anyone can help me, maybe link a thread that gives insight and discussion what simmers send their teens for and what kind of teens? I don't wanna post my own, because I have a feeling there might be already a thread like this already)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 8:05 PM
I send all of my teens.
If they are going to be business owners, they just study business.
Of course there is a good reason to send all of them - it so happens that I really like Uni
So, besides sending my own teens - I have also sent most of the townie teens (if they are friends with my teens, they get to go); most of the BV teens (because that is an easy way to get all of them learn Thai Chi, the slap dance, the hula and some of them are really cute) and some of the downtownie teens.
I need an excuse not to send them
Alchemist
#20 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 8:33 PM
the step directly before college/university probably should be applying & checking for scholarships. in shipped version, Teen Age is the only time to apply/check for them.
before applying for scholarships, might attempt to gain one or more scholarship if the Teen has enough time left. each visible skill (and I think several hidden skills) has a scholarship with level 8 or more. reaching level 3 of any teen career also gets a scholarship. A+ report card I take to also be a scholarship. being a zombie is another scholarship; I think also the other Teen creatures (vampire, werewolf, witch/warlock). also being an orphan.
last shipped version time to send to college/university would be before 6pm of Teen's last day.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:06 PM
What's a shipped version? I keep hearing it not knowing what it is.

Alchemist
#22 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
What's a shipped version? I keep hearing it not knowing what it is.
basically what the game is like without mods/hacks.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:11 PM
Ah! Makes much more knowing the given context.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Oops, sorry! I know it's a TS3 feature, but I was almost sure it was a TS2 feature, too. Maybe I was thinking about something else.

I wish it was! Someone here said they have the teen learn one mechanical and sit in the car with the parent and roll a dice to simulate them passing the driving test. They could go together and take the car 'for a spin'.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#25 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I wish it was! Someone here said they have the teen learn one mechanical and sit in the car with the parent and roll a dice to simulate them passing the driving test. They could go together and take the car 'for a spin'.

That was me unless someone else also does it (probably )

I just like playing things like that - plus I feel like adult sims should have a fairly broad range of skillpoints (even if it's only one lol)
Page 1 of 2