Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th May 2019 at 1:43 AM
Default Is there a mod that stops dormies' room objects from hiding?
I know that this was implemented to save old potato PCs from having to render so much stuff, but in 2019 I think we all have a machine that can handle it. So, its nothing but a nuisance!
I'm looking for a mod that stops this from happening so I can see the objects and sims inside dormie rooms in live mode. Does anyone know of such a mod and could provide me a link?

Thank you
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th May 2019 at 2:10 AM
Dunno If you know (but you may), but receding the empty-room illusion will just show Sims loitering, which is what they do when entering them. So unless a mod programs in such behavior, this is sort of disclaimer that you may not like what you see (objects visible; zombie-dead sims just standing without interaction with anything).

Sorry If this comment comes as random, but I thought it would give this kind of insight. Also, would have better answers If you posted in WCIF, but no matter - I think admins will move this thread to there at their own.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th May 2019 at 2:38 AM
Hit buy and build mod to see in the dorm rooms. All you will see is the furniture and a sim standing there. Dormies don't actually do anything in their rooms but stand.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#4 Old 19th May 2019 at 2:56 AM
Just as an added note ... because I ran into this once .. lol. All items in a dormies room can be sold as they're useless with the exception of a bed. They must have a bed or else they'll wander around the dorm itself and never enter their room to 'recharge'. They might have a desk in their room, but do they use it? Most times not a they prefer to clutter up the cafeteria, or any desk outside their room, with their homework ... lol.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th May 2019 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
Just as an added note ... because I ran into this once .. lol. All items in a dormies room can be sold as they're useless with the exception of a bed. They must have a bed or else they'll wander around the dorm itself and never enter their room to 'recharge'. They might have a desk in their room, but do they use it? Most times not a they prefer to clutter up the cafeteria, or any desk outside their room, with their homework ... lol.

I remember when University first came out, I use to make 1 sim and put them in the biggest dorm, then just sell all the stuff in all the other dormie's rooms to give my sim more money.

It's a shame they just stand there doing nothing once they enter their rooms. I don't like the blank rooms either - though I'm more annoyed about it because when my sims pledge a greek house, the greek members seem to love disappearing off into rooms. I have to enter buy mode to find them (and usually just pull them out with moveobjects - just for them to run back in!).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Alchemist
#6 Old 19th May 2019 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I remember when University first came out, I use to make 1 sim and put them in the biggest dorm, then just sell all the stuff in all the other dormie's rooms to give my sim more money.

It's a shame they just stand there doing nothing once they enter their rooms. I don't like the blank rooms either - though I'm more annoyed about it because when my sims pledge a greek house, the greek members seem to love disappearing off into rooms. I have to enter buy mode to find them (and usually just pull them out with moveobjects - just for them to run back in!).

I haven't tried dorms, but in apts, I just keep the private apts virtually empty and everything happens in the common area. Wouldn't that work for dorms, too?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th May 2019 at 10:10 PM
While things do happen in the common areas, all sims have access to each others dorms (unless the door is locked) unlike with apartments - that means if a non-playable character (anyone invited over, cheerleaders, mascots, etc) enters the dorm that a non-playable character owns, they'll turn invisible and just stand zombie still in the dormie's room. Only way to check where they are is to either have a playable character enter the dorm room or to view the dorm in buy mode. I'm not sure what seems to attract non-playable sims to random dormie's rooms so much, but it drives me insane - that's the only place they seem to want to hang out, no matter how many pool tables, computers, tvs, bookcases etc are in common areas.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Inventor
#8 Old 19th May 2019 at 10:31 PM
There is a mod to stop non-playables from disappearing into the dorm rooms (no vanish in dorms found here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/f...r=al%2Fhacks%2F ). Fun thing I found out is that if you use Squinge's college pack for main hood college, a party invitee going to a party thrown by a Uni student at an apartment may decide to go disappear into a neighbor's apartment. Ginger Newon did this to me once. And since the build/buy trick doesn't work for grabbing errant visitors in apartments, it was something of a bear to get her out again. She was stuck in there not only until the neighbor went inside but was also in a friendly enough mood to allow my sim to enter.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 21st May 2019 at 5:50 PM
If you make dormies playable, and then unselect their room and reselect it, all their furniture becomes accessible, and you get a lovely new set of sims in the bargain!
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
If you make dormies playable, and then unselect their room and reselect it, all their furniture becomes accessible, and you get a lovely new set of sims in the bargain!

I think that happened by accident recently, as I made one dormie selectable (and then deselected), and ever since then the contents of her room have been visible. Have tried to repeat the experiment with the other dormies, but no success.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2019 at 9:05 AM
Just add your dormies to the sim's family, and then townify them again when your sim is done. Yes, you'll have to control them occasionally, but as long as they have a few skills they will tend to pass their exams just fine.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...