Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 3:40 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 26th Oct 2013 at 9:38 AM.
Default Creators, your opinion please! Your ideal upload site?
Put aside everything that MTS is now, and ignore entirely the way we do things at the moment.

Now, imagine the ultimate site for sharing custom content you have made. How would it function? What features would it have? What would it feel like to use? Are there sites (not just for Sims, but for other games, or even just content sharing or uploading in general) that already do things in a way that you like? Are there features and aspects we currently have that you think would work better if we just changed them in a certain way? Or things we do now that you think are wrongity wrong and should be thrown out?

Tell us what you think - even if it's complaints - as long as you're reasonably courteous. If you are someone who makes custom content for TS2/TS3, we really want to hear from you! Small ideas, big ideas, and everything in between, we want to know your thoughts and feelings, so we can make MTS the best site it can be!

(And if you're a creator AND a downloader, please chime in on the other thread too!)

Edit: Please click here to view a list of the changes that we will be making to MTS very soon! You are, of course, still welcome to offer opinions and suggestions on those changes, or just in general.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 5:05 PM
Probably less judgemental moderation. More emphasis on content than presentation. By all means have scoring applied by moderators, but allow more through in the first place. Immediate non-moderated uploading for anyone who has previously scored a high scoring upload, which can be rescinded if their standards slip. Downloaders can if they wish use scoring system to filter downloads.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 5:23 PM Last edited by leefish : 13th Oct 2013 at 5:46 PM.
Well, this is my wishlist for change:

- Let me upload any size picture I like. Resizing pics down to site sizes can be a bit of a pain.
- Trust me to upload something that is the best I can do, I try hard to make the best thing I can and sometimes can get a bit discouraged Basically, let good creators upload direct - no queue..
- Make the upload wizard a bit shorter - I remember being so baffled on my first uploads and IIRC the TS3 filter settings in the wizard are a bit wonky

What I like about here:

- Credit links. I can find the bit s I need easily
- Good pics that let me see all the item (hair with gaps from tumblr GRRRRRR)
- The search

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 5:23 PM
I think you will like some of the changes we have in the works, Inge.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:00 PM
I've attempted creating many times, and I've always felt it was far too exclusive. I mean, allow most content that SOMEONE may want in their game, I'be had a semi-decent house rejected, simply because the moderator didn't necessarily like my style. (That was in 2012) I also had my TV rename mod rejected since I couldn't describe how to make it from scratch. I feel we should have "Top Modder" status, and a system where only the worst creations don't get in. A meeting point between here and the exchange. I also feel to little support is given sometimes. Any low-level creator (first time to first 15) should have their creations go through the queue slowly, and have chats given by those experienced on how to improve.

Any upload of very good quality gets a stamp (like featured, but more general)

Just Call me Square!
Scholar
#6 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:10 PM
My wish list:
* I like Inge's idea that uploads don't need to be moderated if they were previously scored well
* The pictures sizes and limits are pretty restrictive. I always have to check to make sure it's at least 800x600 and often save it as a lesser quality because the file size is too big.
* I doubt this will happen, but I wish we could have pay/TSR content in uploads as long as it isn't included and give a link to TSR and paysites must be destroyed. I know a lot of hair retextures (like, 95% of them) can't be uploaded here for that reason, either.
* Less of a phobia of CC being included. I think it should be credited and everything but having 6 or 7 items qualifies as "a lot," (in the review thing) which to me is pretty restrictive (though that could just be because I LOVE CC and use it a lot, in building and otherwise)

I do like the 5-star upload system though. It helps me to see not only areas where I could improve but things I did right, too. Plus it seems quite a bit more objective than the previous way, and I like that.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Theorist
#7 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:12 PM
I like Mod The Sims. I upload here and I'm happy to have the vast majority of my uploads hosted here but I loath the moderation process. The time items are in the queue coupled with being graded makes uploading here a really unpleasant experience and every time I do I wonder to myself why I bother. It's especially annoying to see the number of views on my upload threads increase and know moderators are looking at it but no one, regardless of the reason, can be assed to approve it. What makes that even worse is when I compare it to uploading to my tumblr or leefish (which are instantaneous and no one but the downloaders are judging my uploads).

When I first uploaded here three or four years ago the queue was much faster and I was new and still unsure of myself enough that the process wasn't that bad but as time went on I started to feel insulted and pissed off by the moderation and I can absolutely understand why creators come to MTS to learn but eventually leave. Keep in mind that I like most of the MTS staff, have always been appreciative of their help and encouragement and am good friends with many and I still don't like the moderation process.

I would like creators in good standing to be able to submit their uploads without moderation. By all means moderate the site and step in and contact a creator or pull an upload if you need to but I don't see any reason why the moderation can't happen after something is uploaded. That way if there's some big debate going on about whether my upload is shit or not I won't be kept waiting while it's eventually decided it's good enough for MTS to host it.

As a downloader/browser I've pretty much stopped checking the uploads when that used to be something I enjoyed doing several times a day. I don't really know why but I suspect the 4 column layout, the lack of comments/views, and the new post format aren't as reader friendly as they can be and that contributes to it. I'm sure if I was actively looking for CC none of that would matter but I don't check daily anymore -- or even weekly -- which is a shame. It's probably just me who feels that way but I thought I would mention it.

Oh! And I almost forgot. The star system can use some tweaking so that more of the good or popular uploads get picked. I know you don't like to show favoritism to moderators but as it turns out they're some of your best creators. So when someone comes here and browses the "top" uploads they're really not seeing the best that's been uploaded.

And that's it. I think. Thanks for all of the time and effort spent updating the site and improving the moderation process -- it's appreciated.
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:18 PM
I like this site because it is almost never down and easy to find but the one thing I don't like is the search category and slowness.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:30 PM
I don't think much of what I have to say is new but I'd like to share my thoughts anyhow. Most of my thoughts are relevant to mod uploads because that's what I do, but they will probably be helpful for other creators also. The biggest reason I stopped uploading mods to MTS was the queue. I think removing the queue for creators that have already uploaded 2 or 3 times is a great idea (or like Inge's suggestion).

Also, I think a good idea is a suggested upload template for new uploaders. The template shouldn't be something that uploaders are required to follow, but it might help immensely for new uploaders when it comes to remembering all the important things that should go in a mod post (like patch level requirements, conflict possibility, altered XMLs etc.). Maybe you could make a thread with a sample template and include the bb code for easy copy & paste, and then link it on the page where creators write their post. It would also really be helpful to have all those useful bb code buttons at the top of the main text area.

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
#10 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:31 PM
Harishaima I think you could have done with posting in the sister thread: https://www.modthesims.info/sh...ad.php?t=513708

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:46 PM
A more in-depth/universalized tagging system would be great so I wouldn't have to sift through a ton of uploads when I'm looking for something specific. Categories I'd be interested in are:
maxis-match vs. realistic
For clothes: tags specifying the length of sleeves/pants/skirts, color, fabric type (ie leather/wool).
For hair: Length, messy/neat, braids, etc.

Also, a way for all search results to show up on one page?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 7:56 PM
I think you also probably want the thread Inge linked to, nobody.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Alchemist
#13 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 8:18 PM
Even if I don't upload stuff I would highly appreciate filters (since the MTS don't really work for me?) that can sort out the EP's and SP's
Scholar
#14 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 8:33 PM
My main thought really is that the moderators for the uploads maybe could do with being a bit more open-minded. I got a career repeatedly rejected because it was spelt in the English way, instead of American-English. I'm English, and I was pretty fed up with uploading at this point and stopped for quite some time. I'm still not uploading careers here any more, for fear of being discriminated because I don't want to spell everything the American way when I'm English.
And I'm with leefish about picture sizes. I had a couple of mods sent back because the pictures weren't the right sizes and by the time I managed to get the right size, both mods got rejected because someone else had done the same mods and uploaded them.
I do like the new 5 star process though. It really does help show where I can improve and what I'm doing well

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
dodgy builder
#15 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 9:31 PM
I sometimes think mts is very traditional and not very into modern architecture. The rule about boxy can be silly when much of the architecture today play with that boxyness, trying to make it good as well.

As a general rule I only upload houses to mts if I think they will pass the, at times as Inge suggested, judgemental moderation without any hickups. When I'm finished with my world I will have to start uploading houses again, and mts will be ditched if I think it's going to be to much back and forth. Frankly I'm not really very interested in being told to change things anymore, because as someone else mentioned in this thread, when I was new to uploading houses the feedback and moderation was useful to me. These days I don't think I need it anymore. When I post in the feedback forum, no one knows what to say. It's just an almost painful silence. On the other hand it wouldn't surprice me if i placed a window the wrong way or forgot a fridge, mistakes happens.

As missyhissy says the English spelling check is a bit silly when the person in the other end probably can't spell right themselves. Frankly spelling English can sometimes be science in it's own right, since so many countries have their own spelling rules. I'm not english though, so my spelling probably isn't perfect.

I would also like to be able to upload houses with payitems in them, but I have no illusions about that. You moderations would probably find yourself in the receiving end of tons of rubbish if you did.
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 9:42 PM
MTS is not far off my ideal site. The only couple of things I would change are.
1- Allow uploading in a sims3package format
2- When moderators review your upload, and there is something very simple such as add a thumbnail, the it would make more sense for the moderator to make this minor change to save time.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 9:46 PM
(Just fyi, when I state don't wants, I'm just using it as a way to clarify. I re-read this and realized it sounded like a scathing review of MTS, when I was actually thinking about upload sites in general, not just for the sims. So just... you know, no offence meant. )

Above everything else: I want a site that allows me to lay out nice large, detailed previews and descriptions of my upload at full standard screen width (around 800/1k pixels). I have a huge screen. If I had a place to upload that would allow me to take advantage of the size of picture I can take, I'd use it. (Note: I don't need hosting. I can do that myself. ) I hate when I have to scale down previews, and making a good presentation can be a huge incentive to upload for me.

I've been creating for years, and I want a site that will more or less stay out of my way when it comes to uploading. If I feel like someone's about to swoop in and judge my upload, before the actual audience of the content gets to it, I pretty much just won't do it.
I don't have a problem following rules, and I like the idea of putting my content in an organized database. I want to feel like I'm helping build the site by doing a good job, and making a nice upload. I don't want to feel like I'm filling out a form for some job. I'll follow guidelines, but I'll do it because I want to be a good person, not because a mod told me. Putting a supervisor over my shoulder makes my play seem like work. Work that I'm not getting paid for. Put that responsibility on me, and I'll be a lot happier person.
I need a site to trust me as an active member of the community.

I don't care about numbers on uploads anymore. It's all about making a collection of cool stuff with a collection of cool people. I don't want my creation site to feel like it's about number embiggening. I want a community where the emphasis is on what's been uploaded, not what's been downloaded. I'm not saying get rid of download counts. I know people get a kick out of that. It's just... upload sites sometimes feel like they look to gaming sites as an example. The important part of a creating community should be the discussion between creators and their downloaders, that's the help forums, the comments, even the off-site discussion. Sharing techniques, information and ideas should be the priority on a site that I would upload to.
In particular, if I were site-shopping, I'd see this reflected in site layout. Priority on should be downloads, discussion, tutorials and help, pretty much in that order.

On a different note, very specifically, I need a site accepts that makeup and recolors looks the same in bodyshop as they do in game.That whole song and dance--where the sim has to go to the mirror, and makes a stupid face, and then wanders away and has to be repositioned, and then the camera has to be repositioned and then, finally, I take the next preview--it's a huge waste of my time when I have a perfectly functional preview tool at my disposal.
Similarly, I have 8 gigs of cc in my game. I love my game, and I've worked hard to make it look the way I want it to look. I won't change my game for the sake of preview guidelines. If I'm not taking pictures of my game, it's not fun. I won't dig through 8 gigs to credit everything in a picture, and I don't even remember which pieces of content came from paysites. I can't post on a site that restricts the way I take previews.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 10:09 PM
I agree with most of what has been said here, but I still think quality control needs to be worked on. For content previews, I think a swatch should always be included, and only a minimal amount of photoshopping allowed, as some people like to apply filters and other useless crap that makes it hard to see what the content actually looks like.

For someone's first upload, depending on the type, they should be required to look at a short, basic tutorial on making previews. Too many people upload great content with crunchy/blurry previews. Along with that, I think it'd just be nice to see more simplified tutorials on making CC that actually works. Again, there is a lot of broken content on this site. I've been tempted to go through and make little packs of fixed CC with credit to the original creators (of course) but I feel like I'd be kind of a jerk for it - even if some of those people haven't returned to MTS in a while.
Test Subject
#19 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 10:10 PM
I have only been uploading for a couple of months, but I actually really like the upload process. I like that everything is checked prior to uploading, though as some noted above, I think it would also be just as good if you allowed the uploads instantly and then checked them and had them removed at a later date if they weren't up to par. Perhaps have an icon showing whether they have been approved by a moderator yet. I don't download a lot of stuff, though I have downloaded poses in the past and it is reassuring to know that they have been reviewed and have to meet specific guidelines before I can download them.

I have had my pose packs rejected and I can see how it becomes discouraging, but I think that it is needed to maintain the quality of downloads on the site. The only thing I do not like about the uploading process is the amount of time it takes to get posted after I upload.

I like the idea that others posted of allowing creators that have uploaded previously to be allowed to upload without having to go through the approval process. I would say I am still a bit new to allow me to do that, but since I have downloaded a few pose packs without issue I feel like after a few more uploads I would think I get the idea and know what I am doing. However, if I wanted to upload something else like a house or a sim, which I have never uploaded, I think that would need to go through the approval process again as I do not have experience uploading those. But as for uploading pose packs, it is pretty much doing the same thing over and over again so I pretty much know what I am doing with that.

So I guess that is my opinion on the uploading process. But, overall, I like the way it all works aside from the wait But my opinion is strictly in regards to pose pack uploads I have never uploaded other types of things so I really can't say much about uploading other stuff :D
Field Researcher
#20 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 10:15 PM
Swatches for hair retextures/basic clothing recolours should be allowed instead of a picture in-game of every single item (with a couple of preview pictures, of course).
#21 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 10:32 PM
Mashelle I think that sounds like what I was getting at. Let the uploads go through (either for everyone or just for people who already had a previous one approved), then the moderator give them some stamp of approval when they can get round to it. Users can if they prefer ask not to see unapproved uploads in their search. And of course really terrible stuff can be removed by the moderator if necessary. When you make something you're excited to share, having to wait up to two weeks and risk someone on another site publishing a similar thing first is unbearable

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 10:53 PM
What I like:
>As a lot builder I appreciate that the wizard knows what MTS content was used in a lot. That is very handy.

What I don't like: (and sorry this list is so much longer)
>I don't like the wait. 5 days on average for a cc free or cc low lot using MTS content just does not seem right for someone who regularly uploads similar things. I waited 4 days on my previous lot and am again up to 4 days on a lot I have in the queue.
>I am not liking the somewhat conflicting opinion on screenshot position and star rating. The guidelines state the edges of the lot need to be shown but screenshots get scored as too far away if you actually follow that guideline. Anytime I go back a bit to show off a nice bit of garden on the side with my front screenshot I will get my screenshot given 3 stars. If I zoom in I will get a 5 even though that is conflicting with the guidelines.The guidelines need the wording changed to what the moderation queue actually wants.
>I hate seeing Sims 3 pictures and advise given in the Sims 2 build section guidelines. It kind of makes me think they really want us to upload TS3 lots. This gets my goat more then any other thing. Please someone change this.
>Again on the star rating. I notice if I stuff my lot full of plants I can get 5 stars but if I decrees the planting to something I think will be manageable by the uploader I get 3 stars.
Also how is a very light planting of 2 trees and a flower strip which I know was light get the same number of stars as a garden with trees, rose bushes a pond and a cfe gazebo?

Changes I'd like to see:
> I would like an area added to the wizard that we tick to say if we are a featured, picked, regular creator or new creator. With some kind of system in place that speeds up the process depending on your 'ranking' Not that I really like ranking people, but if you are a featured or picked creator there should be someway of making the process faster.

> It would be nice not to have to edit my photo type and do an advanced sizing edit on every picture.

>How about having a built in spell check to the wizard? But with a filter for UK/Australian spelling and American spelling. I don't want my 'u's gone from out of colour.

>I would like to see more options on picture uploads. Rather then just game pictures or own artwork.

>I would really like something done about the thanks system to make it a bit more obvious. 10% or less of thanks is rather disheartening.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#23 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Immediate non-moderated uploading for anyone who has previously scored a high scoring upload, which can be rescinded if their standards slip. Downloaders can if they wish use scoring system to filter downloads.

I like this idea a lot! I don't think that we should open it up to everyone, because MTS is a high traffic website. I could see spam happening if the wall was put down. (Viruses!) I also could see moderators feeling bad to take things down rather than denying it beforehand. At least in my opinion, it would feel worse to take down a download after it's been uploaded, rather than turning one down that has only been placed for review and telling the uploader what was wrong with it. Maybe that's just me.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Instructor
#24 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 11:21 PM
Perhaps the "skip the queue" idea could be applied to categories the uploader has already posted to, therefore proved they have experience with? For example, someone with a few clothing creations under their belt could post new clothing uploads without having to deal with the queue, but if they were uploading, say, a hair, they would have to go through moderation.

I would also like to second Mikexx2 on not having to take an in game photo of every color in a set. I have quite a few TS2 things that I would have liked to upload here, but the requirement of needing an in-game photo of all 25 colors made me decide it wasn't worth the effort. For something like hair or clothing recolors, I think that a swatch of Bodyshop screenshots of all colors, along with the normal screenshots, should be fine. Perhaps make usage of the Bodyshop lighting mods here on MTS a requirement, if the default poor lighting would be a concern.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 11:58 PM Last edited by munds : 14th Oct 2013 at 12:08 AM.
I hope it's okay I make this quick post here - and not in the sister thread - even though I'm not a creator. I just have to quote Honeywell on one thing.
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
As a downloader/browser I've pretty much stopped checking the uploads when that used to be something I enjoyed doing several times a day. I don't really know why but I suspect the 4 column layout, the lack of comments/views, and the new post format aren't as reader friendly as they can be and that contributes to it. I'm sure if I was actively looking for CC none of that would matter but I don't check daily anymore -- or even weekly -- which is a shame. It's probably just me who feels that way but I thought I would mention it.

I actually didn't realise until reading the feedback above that I too have slowly begun to visit the Downloads section less and less after the layout overhaul. I like love the new layout a lot more than the old one, even the Downloads section, but something that could be considered a minor change - the comments/views now being hidden behind the "More Info" button - has really changed my browsing habits. In the past I did daily visits (it's probably my most frequently clicked bookmark, not joking) to check out if there's any interesting new content. I could very quickly scroll through the most recent page, and if I saw any uploads with a noticeable amount of comments/views in a short amount of time, I naturally wanted to know what it was all about. It was quick and easy, and it didn't require me to make the to-open-or-not-to-open decision just based on the thumbnail and title alone. I understand this could be considered hardcore lazypantsiness - you know, clicking on the "More Info" button can't take that much of time - but as the Downloads section consists of 60 uploads, it really starts to take a significant amount of time.

As an example, let's say there's a new page of uploads and my eyes wander over a pair of pants. Normal looking pants. As my sims have more than enough pants already, I won't click it. BUT WAIT. I notice a surprisingly high amount of comments, and my coffee fueled brain makes a sudden halt. Ordinary, day-to-day, seen-it-all-before pants have this many views, why? I can't but wonder and against my earlier judgement I check it out. I find ground-breaking meshing and the nicest pant texturing I've ever seen. I cry a few tears of joy and then curse myself for almost missing out on these revolutionary pants of heaven.

Example is hypothetical. But in any case, in the past I would never have missed out on the pants, while nowadays I feel I miss out on pants all the time. I'm hoping you'd perhaps take this suggestion into reconsideration. Of course, in the end it's only you who run the site who see the whole picture, so I know you'll do as you see best. My appreciations and thanks!
Page 1 of 31