Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 6:54 PM
Is there a XML Extractor for Mac?
It's very annoying to not be able to create mods on Mac. I can't find a XML Extractor for Mac OS neither I know if there's a way to "manually extract" the game's xml files.
Any solutions, suggestions, tips, tools, ideas, something for me?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 2:18 AM
Top of my head I'd say you need to extract the XML from the game on a PC ( virtualized, bootcamp or a real one )
Unless Sims4Studio can extract the XML from .packages ...

All XML seems to be into .packages so you'll need something to open those, won't be possible to manually extract them.
AlanH at CivFanatics had build a tool for Mac to extract XML from .pack files. Pretty sure it won't handle .packages. And that was for CivIV modding

As for reading the XML after, you can do so with TextWrangler easily.

I make sims worlds ... can you believe it ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blackgryffin
Top of my head I'd say you need to extract the XML from the game on a PC ( virtualized, bootcamp or a real one )
Unless Sims4Studio can extract the XML from .packages ...

All XML seems to be into .packages so you'll need something to open those, won't be possible to manually extract them.
AlanH at CivFanatics had build a tool for Mac to extract XML from .pack files. Pretty sure it won't handle .packages. And that was for CivIV modding

As for reading the XML after, you can do so with TextWrangler easily.

Well, I just virtualized Win10 with Extractor and then I moved the XML folder on Mac OS. Annoying, but functional. Thank you.
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 7:11 PM
Ah ! Good to know, there's a folder !

I'm more of a graphic modder so all my works are in .packages. Never really paid attention to the structure of the game. Even if I work on a bootcamp

I make sims worlds ... can you believe it ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 3:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blackgryffin
Ah ! Good to know, there's a folder !

I'm more of a graphic modder so all my works are in .packages. Never really paid attention to the structure of the game. Even if I work on a bootcamp

Well, to be honest you need to create a folder, but it isn't a big deal
BTW, if anyone else ever needs it, I've done a video tutorial here.
Test Subject
#6 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daleko
Well, to be honest you need to create a folder, but it isn't a big deal
BTW, if anyone else ever needs it, I've done a video tutorial here.

Just watched your video, it was very helpful (fellow Mac user here!). I've been messing around with things in S4Studio, but until now I couldn't get the actual XML from the game