Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:15 PM Last edited by Pooky213 : 9th Jun 2009 at 6:32 PM. Reason: Corrected thread title

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Resource.cfg and winrar extract questions
Hi -- I have read and used the directions for installing a Sims3 package file... and it worked great. But, I have a couple of questions so I can better understand how this works, if you don't mind.

1) I only need ONE "package.cfg" file in my Sims3 folder? I don't need one for each download, right? (And the subfoldering code from Canoodle's updated post goes in there, as is with the asterisks? No renaming with specific folder names, right?)
2) I followed Steps five and six in the directions, which worked fine. However, in Sims2 I used to not save, cut, and paste my download files. I would extract directly from the WinRAR app into my designated folder, which is much quicker and less work for those of use with the Lazy trait. Should this lazy method of extract still work with the Sims3 packages? I am getting an error message when I try it and I'm not sure if it's user error or the direct extract method no longer works with the files in Sims3. Hope I am clear and appreciate the info. Thanks!
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:20 PM
1. There is no such thing as a package.cfg file. Are you talking about the Resource.cfg file? If so, nope. You only need one Resource.cfg file. Don't feel silly, I had to ask the same question. You can still extract to the desired folder...unless you have Vista. Then you should open the archive in it's own folder and cut and paste the files.

You might want to look into Delphy's little Monkey for installing .package files. All the work is done for you!
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344611

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:31 PM
First, thanks!

Yes, I did mean "Resource.cfg" file. duh. And, yes, it's a new computer running on Vista, whereas I had XP before. So, that makes sense, too.

I'm still a bit nervous to install any apps (even by someone I trust like Delphy) because I don't understand Vista well enough yet to problem solve if there is a problem. Chicken, you say? Buck, buck, buck... I have no idea what you are talking about!
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:10 AM
Well, if there is a problem with the application, help is just a click away. This app is supported here. If you have problems, which I doubt you will if you carefully read the instructions, you can post them in the thread.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 3:25 AM
Yup, took the leap of faith tonight and installed it. Works great... of course! Thanks!
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:03 AM
Good Good. Have fun with the new game.

Locked thread | Locked by: Canoodle Reason: Resolved