Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 8:57 PM
Default How Would You Do Moodlets in Sims 2?
My idea for moodlets would be a mix of memories which disappear after a set amount of time and countdown display when you hover over a sim's portrait (similar to vacation perks and the grouchy or nice potions) and they would affect the sim's aspiration and/or mood level. The bonus or penalty of these moodlets could be based on personality, Turn-Ons/Offs, motive levels, aspirations, and of course the custom traits mod. The moodlets might be displayed periodically in a sim's thought-bubble.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th May 2019 at 11:03 PM
Some of mine input and from others, of the brainstorming implementation, from a thread way back. (Sorry if linking to another thread appears inappropriate. Not trying to hi-jack or promote it or anything)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th May 2019 at 11:23 PM
I would only have those for serious/major events, not oh I passed a painting and my mood will change.

Getting a promotion, an A+ report card, getting engaged and married, having a baby, a death, getting fired, first friend made and first kiss, a burglary and fire.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th May 2019 at 7:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I would only have those for serious/major events, not oh I passed a painting and my mood will change.

Getting a promotion, an A+ report card, getting engaged and married, having a baby, a death, getting fired, first friend made and first kiss, a burglary and fire.

All of those already have memories to mark them. Aren't moodlets for the less important stuff that doesn't rate a proper memory.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th May 2019 at 10:05 AM
I thought moodlets meant having a reaction like with holidays, the sims get additional want slots and perks when they arrive home. So good perks/mood aspiration for good memories and a negative effect for bad ones. So if a sim dies the other sims in the family should have a lower mood, a hit to their aspiration, slower skill gain. While getting married should raise their aspiration, make needs higher and drop slower.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th May 2019 at 12:40 PM
Ah I see. But I thought that negative memories, for example, already had effects. Like stopping to cry about it.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th May 2019 at 2:12 PM
There are some times following a death in a family that the Sims won't sleep through the night. Other times after the first crying, they may stand around and sigh with thought bubbles of death so there are some other effects that show just as there are lasting thoughts of a burglary or fire. But it might be interesting for a 24 hour (or more or less time depending on the event) change to the Sim which is more obvious.

Any negative life event could reduce the aspiration level perhaps into motive distress. For significantly bad life events, loss of a want slot and/or gain of fear slot could be options. Perhaps a breakup or divorce might mean a large temporary drop in chemistry. A mid-life crisis could trigger something like a reversal of personality (remember Sims 1 potions that did that?) which then might wreck havoc on the Sims entire family.

On the flip side other positive life events (marriage, birth of a child, child graduating from high school I.E. becoming a YA or Adult) could temporarily increase aspiration level even into platinum. Other significant life events such as seeing a close friend get married could give a temporary boost in chemistry. A job promotion at a certain high level could temporarily give an additional want slot and/or remove a fear slot.

Basically, temporary changes could be made to want/fear slots, chemistry, aspiration, aspiration decay, personality and even skill points. How much something affects the Sim could be tempered by the Sim's personality. Perhaps bad things are amplified on a grouchy/mean Sim but affect a nice Sim less.

And I agree with Jo - walking outdoors from indoors shouldn't trigger moodlets. Moodlets shouldn't be for the little things that happen every day. I think they should be for a few (definitely not all) of the events which trigger a memory.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th May 2019 at 3:55 PM
I think if the outside is beautiful enough - and especially if the sim loves or hates the outdoors or has some kind of weather-related trait - there should be a moodlet.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th May 2019 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
A mid-life crisis could trigger something like a reversal of personality (remember Sims 1 potions that did that?) which then might wreck havoc on the Sims entire family.

For all your mid-life crisis needs. XD https://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=607098
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th May 2019 at 9:42 PM
I thought moodlets meant having a reaction like with holidays, the sims get additional want slots and perks when they arrive home. So good perks/mood aspiration for good memories and a negative effect for bad ones. So if a sim dies the other sims in the family should have a lower mood, a hit to their aspiration, slower skill gain. While getting married should raise their aspiration, make needs higher and drop slower.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Moodlet

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#11 Old 9th May 2019 at 12:15 AM
Someone has a stressful day at work, and they get a moodlet that makes it more likely for them to have a bad conversation with other Sims, more likely to be careless and accidentally break an object. A Sim's loved one dies, and then they roll wants to talk to their remaining friends/family. Or they want to go for a run, if they're more likely to want to grieve alone. Someone is left at the altar and they burst into tears if they see another couple showing affection. Things like that are what I'd do with moodlets.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th May 2019 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Moodlet

Yeah I know, I meant for sims 2. I would not want sims 4 moodlets for everything under the sun.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th May 2019 at 6:06 AM
Yeah I know, I meant for sims 2. I would not want sims 4 moodlets for everything under the sun.

Probably not Sims 4 moodlets... just for things like eating favourite foods, good or bad night's sleeps, robbery, failing classes, etc.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th May 2019 at 11:14 PM
This came out just today:
Traits Project (Part 3-15) - Wannabe Moodlets

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th May 2019 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
All of those already have memories to mark them. Aren't moodlets for the less important stuff that doesn't rate a proper memory.

Depends on the moodlet. There are moodlets related to birth of a baby (had a boy, had a girl, had twins), getting engaged, getting married, woohoo, death of a loved one and similar things that also have memories in both Sims 2 and Sims 3 (I personally refuse to touch 1 or 4 with a ten foot pole so I don't know how those handle memories). There are others that relate to certain traits like plagued by nature for Sims that Hate the Outdoors, or inspired when an artistic Sim goes to an art gallery.

They more show emotion and things that impact the Sim's mood.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 18th May 2019 at 4:55 PM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with 1. It was good.
Theorist
#17 Old 18th May 2019 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Depends on the moodlet. There are moodlets related to birth of a baby (had a boy, had a girl, had twins), getting engaged, getting married, woohoo, death of a loved one and similar things that also have memories in both Sims 2 and Sims 3 (I personally refuse to touch 1 or 4 with a ten foot pole so I don't know how those handle memories). There are others that relate to certain traits like plagued by nature for Sims that Hate the Outdoors, or inspired when an artistic Sim goes to an art gallery.

They more show emotion and things that impact the Sim's mood.

Aside from #1 being the first game and having a lot of limits that weren't doable it was a great game so I don't know why you "refuse to touch" it. It's old as the hills now and dated as anything but it was still a lot of fun. The original game didn't have memories and that feature in TS2 is single-handedly responsible for the majority of problems with that game.

I wasn't sure about them when I first heard of moodlets for TS3 but after playing a while I really enjoyed them because they ended up feeling more realistic than things like the environment score in the earlier games. Your Sim just fell in love and it made perfect sense they were over the moon about it. That's something I miss in TS2.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th May 2019 at 5:36 AM
I was in a hurry because I needed to get to work this morning so I didn't have time to go into detail about why I hate Sims 1. It is impossible to take care of needs. I ended up rage quitting the one time I played it and refuse to play it again.
Theorist
#19 Old 19th May 2019 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I was in a hurry because I needed to get to work this morning so I didn't have time to go into detail about why I hate Sims 1. It is impossible to take care of needs. I ended up rage quitting the one time I played it and refuse to play it again.

Oh mercy, that I can understand. I had a devil of a time with my first family. I had a husband, wife, and kid and just trying to get the guy promoted was a huge pain in the rear. Then that stupid Tragic Clown would come and bug him trying to get him into a better mood. I remember finally discovering there was something on the official site to download to get rid of him so I did, gone once and for all. One thing I loved in the original game was how I could buy a cheap couch (they were cheaper than beds) for the kids to sleep on, and Sims would sleep until their energy was full. I eventually got the hang of it and it's like any game, you get into the swing of it and before you know it it's downright easy. TS2 had its own set of challenges with the pregnant Sims then they nerfed that in TS3 because of the open world. I just played a pregnant TS2 Sim today for the first time in over ten years and surprisingly enough she came through really well.

But yes, moodlets and all that, I couldn't help but think today as I played that eventually I will have to try the mod for TS2. One thing I know about other people's brains is they have a superior way of coming up with ways to do things I would never think of.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 9:10 AM Last edited by keyqueen : 1st Jun 2019 at 9:25 AM.
Personalty I'd take moodlets over memories anyday. Memories are a lovely concept and I'm not typically one to condemn a feature solely on poor execution but they never seem to work out well. TS teams had two chances to prove their worth and each time honestly made nothing more then a ticking save game time bomb. In TS2 memories can cause contraption if you so much as blink at a sim wrong and didn't do much more then causes the spread of venomous gossip that slowly corrodes away the stability of the neighborhood and makes a sim angry or sad for a few days after something negative happen to them.

Moodlets in TS3 do the same thing plus make them happy after a positive event which honestly I don't think I've ever seen in 2 (I've seen TS2 sims BE happy just not from memories). Plus they act as another way along with wants to sort of what's going on inside your sims head and how they are feeling about things at the moment. On the other hand memories in TS3 add nothing of value to the game but since every sim ever is getting about one hundred memories for every little inconsequential thing they do every day they quickly blot the save until it's an unload able hunk of useless data.

So as for what I would do it moodlets in the sims 2, unpopular opinion but I would take them and replace the memories with them. If I want to immortalized important events in my sims lives then I will take a screenshot and import it to the game myself. At least that way I can decided for myself whats important and not kill my sims in the process.
edit- kay wow just cheeked out the site with the traits/ moodlets mod. Modders have officially blown me way again.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 1:24 PM
I find moodlets to be a bit amnesia inducing. Sims seem to only remember things as long as they have the moodlets, even important things. They are also sometimes very annoying, especially in ts4 with the emotions. The "do x 3 times while in x emotion" can either take ages because the sim suddenly gains another emotion, or is super easy because some things always induce that emotion. I often feel the sims seem more soulless with the moodlets. I prefer the ambition system with wants and fears because it makes the sim feel like they have some free will, since they don't always want to do the same things. The ambition system in ts4 is basically a failure (No matter the ambition they always get the same tasks)

The memory system is more borkable, but at least it sometimes give you a few surprises, as the sims actually seem to remember past events, which also influences their wants and fears. I would prefer a less borked memory system over moodlets, and maybe have a trait system in addition to interests, so their personality could be a little more unique.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 6:56 PM
But would temporary memories be possible? It would just be a visual reference for the moodlets shown in the tooltip when hovering your mouse over the sim's portrait in the skewer.