Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 4:08 PM
I'm just lost as to how the 16 bytes are derived. What is CRCed, and how you get the four 32bit numbers.....it seems very cryptic, ironically enough.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 3:01 AM
How strange...
Almost a month after the last post, I had a sudden "brain pharte" idea on this.
I backed up, then edited "C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config\TS2Config.txt" [I hope I types all that correctly!] and put a comment character (#) on the following line:
#sinclude "preloadanims.txt"
This made my test loads go faster. Now I didn't SEE any problems with animations, but I only played a small 3-person household. Perhaps in a busier environment there might be noticable pauses.
I'm sure preloading all the animations makes the games more responsive, or Maxis wouldn't have spent all the time and effort to list all those animations in one file (preloadanims.txt). So I am not going on record as recommending anyone else do this.
But it's easy to change back, and developers that want to speed their edit/test cycle up may benefit from this, since it did cut my load time some more.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#28 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 5:32 AM
I have a super long load time as well...

My PC has 2GB memory, X800 XT card and 3.6 ghz processer...

What can I do with the memory and this virtual memory to speed it up? -- Have no idea what virtual memory is or what it does so I'm totally lost, lol.

Also, how do I go about deleting the intro movie? -- I hate having to wait for it to load to click pass that.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 8:44 AM
Ditto. My computer sounds about the same, but I run my sims off a 120 gig external hard drive. This is killing me. I hate waiting for ONE damn lot to load, and an empty one at that! GAH!
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 5:43 PM
I GOT RID OF ONE DOWNLOADED CAREER AND INSTEAD OF TAKING 3+ HOURS to load, now it takes less than one minute for the same lot to load without the ONE career....wow!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 8:45 PM
gopguyca, for virtual memort settings goto

-Control Panel -System Properties -Advanced -Performance Settings -Advanced
I have mine set at 1024 MB, You should not need but 512 - 1024 MB with that much memory. Put the paging file on a seperate HD from your boot drive if you have one and its as fast as your boot drive.

Its most likly not your virtual memory thats causing you to load slowly. More likely its files in the \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ folders that is causing your loading times to be slow.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 11:12 PM
My game actually takes about 15 minutes to load up. I have TONS of downloads. I've learned to live with it. (It's better than The Sims 1 which used to take 45 minutes).
Test Subject
#33 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 7:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay
gopguyca, for virtual memort settings goto

-Control Panel -System Properties -Advanced -Performance Settings -Advanced
I have mine set at 1024 MB, You should not need but 512 - 1024 MB with that much memory. Put the paging file on a seperate HD from your boot drive if you have one and its as fast as your boot drive.

Its most likly not your virtual memory thats causing you to load slowly. More likely its files in the \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ folders that is causing your loading times to be slow.

I went there and the memory was already at 2046, I hit change it says that is the initial size and that 4092 is the maximum.. It's on custom size. I guess it came like that as I don't ever remember going in there.

As for the drive its on, the C drive. I guess that is the boot drive. I have a second drive, D, but it's not as fast the C... My C drive is 10k RPM and the D drive is 7.2 RPM -- Or something like that.

But I do believe it is the crap I have downloaded that is to blame for the slow downloads. If only I could find a way to fix the lag spikes that occur often but quick like.
Test Subject
#34 Old 23rd Mar 2005 at 10:19 PM
Updated for Bundling packages:

I bundled my clothing packages into multiple large bundles (117,000 to 255,000 KB). The game errors/crashes when attempting to load a lot. If I reverted to the un-bundled packages the lot loaded fine. It could be that the package files are just to large to be read in the time frame the game expects.

NOTE: Quaxi (Thanks Quaxi!) was kind enough to add a feature to SimPE so that package files could be added to existing package files. This allowed me to easily bundle my clothing packages into multiple large packages.
Faster kill pussycat
#35 Old 23rd Mar 2005 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
My game now takes less than a minute to load up and get me to my neighborhood, because its saves time if you delete the intro movie files in Program Files/EA GAMES/Sims2. :smash:

Ok for those of so who a tech dumb :confused:

you go to Program Files/EA GAMES/Sims2/tsdata/movies/games/arcade/
then delete game1_intro??
I think Thats is right but....:slow:
Thanks Nova

Now I'm not looking for absolution. Forgiveness for the things I do. But before you come to any conclusions. Try walking in my shoes. You'll stumble in my footsteps.
#36 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 1:20 PM Last edited by Goner : 9th Apr 2005 at 3:25 PM.
ok well i deleted the file in Drive:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims \TSData\res\movies , the intro file. I think this is the write path. The loading times on the sims 2 have gone down from 5 minutes to 10!! seconds!! so it does work
Test Subject
#37 Old 9th May 2005 at 12:25 AM
Well its just gunna be slow, but mine got faster after I looked at all the files on my desktop,My computer,my pictures ect. and dumped the ones I didnt need/want :bricks: :idea:
Field Researcher
#38 Old 9th May 2005 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay
My load time is 1:20 from clicking icon to getting into the Pleasents house.

Is there anyway to speed this up. While I have mine running in a window, and I can do other things while it is loading easily, I would prefer it to load in less than 10 seconds.

Any suggestions?

how do you get it to load in a window???

live life as if everyday was your last, it's more fun that way
Test Subject
#39 Old 28th Jun 2005 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
My game now takes less than a minute to load up and get me to my neighborhood, because its saves time if you delete the intro movie files in Program Files/EA GAMES/Sims2. :smash:
What is the file called?
Page 2 of 2