Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 10102
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 18280 (Who?), Viewed: 432475 times.
Search this Thread
Old 14th Feb 2019, 3:31 PM #17576
simsample
The Anarchist

19 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxxedoCat
Not related to TS2 directly, but did the site's font change? It looks a bit odd, needs some getting used to.

Oh, so it's not my eyes! I put my glasses on, took them off, stood on my head... something looked different but I couldn't figure out what!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 6:15 PM #17577
monijt1
Field Researcher

Hmm... I don't see any difference with the site's font. I even cleared my cache and change my theme. Looks the same to me
Old 14th Feb 2019, 6:36 PM #17578
RoxEllen1965
Alchemist

Mine doesn't look different either. Maybe it depends on what theme we're using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
I had to poke around skyboxes and horizons. XD I found some I liked, but I have two questions.

I presume that you can have different horizons, say desert and lush, on different sub-hoods? i.e one on main hood, one on sub-hood.
How do you know if a skybox is animated?

Unlike the default replacement skies, skyboxes and horizons are deco objects and will show up in your catalog. Like any other neighborhood deco object, you can have different ones in different neighborhoods and sub-hoods. You can even have more than one. You can have a horizon object, a skybox object with a static sky on it and another skybox with animated clouds on it all on the same neighborhood map. Play around with them to get an effect that you like - mix and match, etc.

The animated skyboxes that I've seen all have clouds that rotate around the edge of the neighborhood. They should be really obvious. Just put one in your neighborhood and watch to see if the clouds are moving.
Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 14th Feb 2019 at 6:46 PM.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 6:48 PM #17579
iCad
Undead Molten Llama

27 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
I had to poke around skyboxes and horizons. XD I found some I liked, but I have two questions.

I presume that you can have different horizons, say desert and lush, on different sub-hoods? i.e one on main hood, one on sub-hood.
How do you know if a skybox is animated?

1) Assuming that you're not talking about default skies (which are a different thing), skyboxes and horizons are just neighborhood deco and you use them the same way. You can put them on any terrain, main hood, subhoods, vacation hoods, wherever.
2) Most people who make animated skies -- so far as I know there's only been three people who've done so so far, though there may be some out there that I'm not aware of -- will say in descriptions whether or not it's animated. For my part, all but one of the ones I've made are in one post on my Tumblr, and the post is titled "Animated Skies." Whatever the case, you'll know when you put it in a neighborhood because if it's animated the globe will start spinning. If that's not what you want, you just remove it from the neighborhood the same way you remove any other neighborhood deco.

Two things to be aware of, since I'm here:

1) Make sure you have Skyfix installed so that you can see your neighborhood sky while in lot view as well as seeing, for instance, the stars at night.

2) Depending on what you use, if you use a sky + a horizon or a static sky + an animated one or all three at once, you might find that they clip each other, causing a sort of hole in the sky. If this happens to you, you just need to make an easy adjustment -- one number -- in your neighborhood camera. See this post by Lowedeus for instructions, if clipping happens to you.

Have fun pretty-fying!

EDIT: Hah, I was ninja'ed, but I'll leave this up for the other two points I made, which might be useful. OH! And another point:

3) In order to see the skies, your View Distance has to be set at Extra Large and your Fade Distance needs to be set to Off. Both of those are in-game settings, under the icon that looks like cogs.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 9:38 PM #17580
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee

30 Achievements

View My Journal

@iCad You are somewhat the expert on this, so if you get an area that shows up wrongly- (I really don't know how to explain this) but down near the horizon like a blue blob that gets smaller and bigger but moving enough will get rid of it. Does this mean the globes are in the wrong place? I will take a photo to show what I mean later when my game is loaded, but I am always having to move the camera so this 'blob' area doesn't normally show in pictures. or is this blob what you are calling 'hole in the sky?'

Edit: Actually I think it is 'hole in the sky' I will read this over when I am awake. Haha, so funny you posted about that just before I came to ask.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 14th Feb 2019, 10:28 PM #17581
FranH
Mad Poster

About the font-yeah, it's been changed. I noticed it myself a few days ago-it's not that bad, though.
It took me a few tries to get the right set up for skyboxes and horizons to actually work, because there are a few that were the earliest versions and they're the ones which clip and show holes in the horizon..
As for placement: both the skyboxes and the horizons should be in the same corner, and the horizon should wrap evenly around the map, as the skybox should as well-if either one of the is misplaced, it will show up in neighborhood view.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:39 PM #17582
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee

30 Achievements

View My Journal

Reading this it says to change the 2000 to 5000, but my neighbourhood camera doesn't have 2000 it has lots of 200000's. Can anyone help with this? Should I change all the 2's into 5's?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 15th Feb 2019, 12:47 AM #17583
Sunrader
Scholar

2 Achievements

I'm finding the font a little harder to read. Are we talking cameras? I wanna tweak my cameras.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:49 AM #17584
Charity
Mad Poster

14 Achievements

What's the advantage of a lot skybox vs a hood skybox?

I think my clouds might be animated. They seem to move around. I just gotta hide the hood deco for it with a bush or something, because it doesn't disappear and you can see it from some lots. XD
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:41 AM #17585
simmer22
Mad Poster

3 Achievements

A lot skybox would let you change the sky on the lot itself, instead of having to go in and out of the lot to change the hood sky.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:44 AM #17586
omglo
Theorist

4 Achievements

And a hood skybox can't be animated, but a lot skybox can.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 12:35 PM #17587
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee

30 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo

Yes, but you just add the animated cloud cover to it and the ones I use are both hood deco.

~Call me Jo~
Old 15th Feb 2019, 1:39 PM #17588
Charity
Mad Poster

14 Achievements

Oh ok. Guess mine isn't animated then, because it's hood.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 7:58 PM #17589
RoxEllen1965
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Reading this it says to change the 2000 to 5000, but my neighbourhood camera doesn't have 2000 it has lots of 200000's. Can anyone help with this? Should I change all the 2's into 5's?

You're looking at the wrong file. Oddly enough, you don't edit the NeighborhoodCamera.txt to fix this - you edit FirstPersonCameras.txt instead.

One section should look something like this (it may vary depending on whose camera mod you're using):

Code:

# Free moving first person camera.
camera     "CameraManNH" CameraMan
fov        (10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80)
clip       2 2000

Change the bottom line (clip settings) to read as follows:
Code:

clip       2 5000
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:14 PM #17590
mdsb759
Alchemist

if Young Adults were to use Elixir (or do Cowplant's Milk interaction), would they actually be changing the days left of their upcoming Adult age?
Old 15th Feb 2019, 9:21 PM #17591
iCad
Undead Molten Llama

27 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo

Nope, hood skyboxes can be animated, too. For instance, I made eight different ones here.

To me, the only reason to use lot skyboxes these days is if you want different lots to have a different skies for some reason, so that you don't have to go out to the neighborhood and change out the sky before going to the lot that has a different sky. This would be helpful for storytellers, I would think, if they have different lots with different "sets" and environments. Otherwise, it's much, much easier to use neighborhood skies because if you want every lot in the neighborhood to have the same sky using lot skyboxes, then you'd have to go around a put a lot skybox on every lot instead of just placing a neighborhood sky. I'm also thinking that lot skyboxes wouldn't be compatible with horizons, if one wants to use them. But I'm not sure about that since I haven't used lot skyboxes in years.

@joandsarah77 If what you have is a hole/clipping, then what RoxEllen said ought to fix it. If it doesn't, a picture of the issue would be helpful.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:11 PM #17592
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee

30 Achievements

View My Journal

Here is my neighbourhood camera or am I looking at the wrong one?

Edit: I see it's a different camera. Sorry, I'm not well. Okay, changed first-person camera, will check later.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Hood Camera.png
Views: 0
Size:  50.9 KB  

~Call me Jo~
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:30 PM #17593
aelflaed
Theorist

15 Achievements

Hi everyone...I am looking for a way to contact someone at Sins Cave. I have been registered there for ages, but can't log in because I don't remember any of the details. The password reset email doesn't arrive - not that it would help, probably, since my username is also AWOL. Can't re-register because the email address is already on the system. I can't see any 'contact us' button either. I suppose I could start a separate email account, but that only partly solves the problem.

I've been ignoring this ever since I came back to TS2, but it is annoying when people post links and I can't open them. Can someone maybe poke a SimsCave moderator for me? Or perhaps someone clever can see another way around it.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:40 PM #17594
simsample
The Anarchist

19 Achievements

View My Journal

@aelflaed

I sent a message to sorasunao on Sims Cave, hopefully that will help!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:47 PM #17595
aelflaed
Theorist

15 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
@aelflaed

I sent a message to sorasunao on Sims Cave, hopefully that will help!

Thanks, simsample, at least it is worth a try.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:53 PM #17596
Rguerra
Lab Assistant

6 Achievements

What to do when you feel like playing the premade sims, but you absolutely hate all of the Maxis neighborhoods (aesthetically-wise) and most of it's lots?
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:12 AM #17597
Sunrader
Scholar

2 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguerra
What to do when you feel like playing the premade sims, but you absolutely hate all of the Maxis neighborhoods (aesthetically-wise) and most of it's lots?

I have all the iconic premades from the bins and hoods and subhoods in an otherwise empty hood. I use it for pics. I used extracted ones. Many are here.
https://maxis-taste.livejournal.com/12428.html#cutid2
Here's a thread with a lot of other links. http://modthesims.info/t/442958
The ones I didn't find, I extracted myself. I cloned a few of the NPCs, too. My avatar is my playable clone of the Genie madeover a bit.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:34 AM #17598
Peni Griffin
Mad Poster

13 Achievements

Alternatively, make a custom hood.
Attach Tarlia's subhood versions of all the neighborhoods containing sims you want to play.
Put any graves in inventory and move them out of their houses to the bin. Put them into your main hood in houses you like, take graves out of inventory and move any you don't want haunting a residence to a graveyard.
Delete the subhoods.
Play.

Which is easier depends on who you are. I'd rather go the subhood route because it would be tedious and time-consuming to do all the SimPE work involved in recreating the relationships and situations. But you might be excited by the possibility of tweaking those things to suit you perfectly, and prefer the extraction route. Extraction would also be better if you only wanted some of the sims from each neighborhood rather than all.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Old 16th Feb 2019, 2:12 AM #17599
Sunrader
Scholar

2 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguerra

I'm only using the appearance of the sims. If you want all the traits they have, it's probably easier to just change the appearance of the hood around them. Change out lots with other ones, and use HoodReplace to change the terrain. http://modthesims.info/d/279992
Old 16th Feb 2019, 2:30 AM #17600
Rosebine
Mad Poster

13 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pideli
I've also noticed I haven't seen @Rosebine in a long while! We miss you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
No, it's not random; I've been worrying about gummi, and @Rosebine to be honest, for a while, too, because I haven't seen them post in a while. But then Rosebine logged in a little while back. I haven't seen or heard anything about gummilutt, though, which is a little sad, but doesn't necessarily have to mean bad news. I just try to believe that gummi is okay, just too busy for simming right now.

Sweet you guys, I miss you ALL too...but I am coming back, soon. I have not switch to another sim game no. I kept creating, playing my beloved Sims 2, but I had to stay away from the net. I hope Gummi is alright!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi fran├žais !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)

Section jump: