Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1835
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 17 (Who?), Viewed: 2590 times.
Search this Thread
Old 30th Jan 2019, 10:46 PM DefaultDressing up your sims #1
nitromon
Original Poster

Mad Poster

7 Achievements

I don't have that many CCs, but I do have quite a handful. I just recently realized that despite having CC clothes, hair, etc... there really are only a handful of them I use on my sims and I edit the whole town. So my town inevitably turns into a clone world, like South Korea.

So then I get more CC clothes and hair, but I still only use a handful of them, now the new ones and stopped using the old ones. Ahhh... is that just me?

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 30th Jan 2019, 11:40 PM #2
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

I don't have much CC either, but what I do have, I tend to use more often than not. CC that doesn't stay in my game long is stuff that clips too much, looks weird, has edges that look like something has been chewing on them ( this isn't a computer related problem in my case) ect... I see zero point in holding on to CC that doesn't work for me for whatever reason, so it goes.

Cyber Tip Line for Exploited Children
Children should always feel like the adults are living in this world to nurture them, to take care of them, to protect them from any bad thing that might come. ~Chris Cornell
Old 31st Jan 2019, 6:06 AM #3
Giga
Field Researcher

I did a massive cull on CC a while back and it felt glorious. Now, mostly the CC is default replacements, only 6 different hair because I'm really picky, either the mesh is off or the texture doesn't suit me. Same goes for clothing. CAS stuff is only small a percentage of my overall mods.

I used to have one item but in many different variations 'just in case' if I needed them but years later I realized I never did so off my game they go. Now my rule is that it is either used or it will be removed from my downloads folder and only put back if I actually need it. I think for sims 2 my CC folder was nearly 20gb. Not that there is anything bad about it especially if your PC can handle it, I just feel more organized if I do this.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 7:17 AM #4
nitromon
Original Poster

Mad Poster

7 Achievements

I never cull my CCs before, I guess b/c I don't have a lot of them. Perhaps I'm just getting bored with my items, so I download fresh ones, but then I only like the new ones until I get bored of them too.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 2:56 PM #5
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I never cull my CCs before, I guess b/c I don't have a lot of them. Perhaps I'm just getting bored with my items, so I download fresh ones, but then I only like the new ones until I get bored of them too.

Huh? If you never get rid of stuff, how does this not lead to a accumulation of unwanted stuff?

Children should always feel like the adults are living in this world to nurture them, to take care of them, to protect them from any bad thing that might come. ~Chris Cornell
Old 31st Jan 2019, 5:15 PM #6
Ghost sdoj
Site Helper

7 Achievements

View My Journal

Define "unwanted"...
I've never really culled much CC, although there is some that I haven't used much. But there are still times when I'm glad I've got it. The only unwanted CC I've ever had were the demon boots and one object that was causing blue lots. (Although it's been so long since I got the update for it that I've forgotten what it even was.)

I suppose I'm another one like Nitromon

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Old 31st Jan 2019, 8:07 PM #7
CatMuto
Scholar

9 Achievements

I sometimes cull hairdos that I've added because I thought they looked nice, but then either didn't look neat in-game or I felt, "This is a hairstyle I'll rarely ever use..."

With clothes, not a lot. I think I have a decent enough of CC clothes variety (usually maternity stuff, though also lots of children's and toddlers' clothes) that I tend to use most of them. Though if I'm doing a one-season world, I try to keep my CC focused on one seasonal theme. Lots of dresses or shorts for summer and jackets, sweaters/jumpers, coats for winter.

Though I've been meaning to check my teen CC clothes. I have some things in there that I just don't use.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 8:34 PM #8
AGuyCalledPi
Mad Poster

7 Achievements

If anything, I don't have enough CC. I work my ass off to keep everyone looking sharp and interesting (or unremarkable, if the character demands it) but that's hard enough to do in my regular save, let alone in the '80s saves. It's bad enough that I'm considering commissioning someone to do additional CC work for me so I don't have to spend as much time fucking around with S3PE. Not sure whose time can be bought and if they're half a decent creator, but it's worth exploring that avenue.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Old 31st Jan 2019, 10:08 PM #9
nitromon
Original Poster

Mad Poster

7 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Huh? If you never get rid of stuff, how does this not lead to a accumulation of unwanted stuff?

Well, much like Ghost sdoj, I don't really have any unwanted stuff per say. I mean, I get new clothes and hair and I'm all and I use them a lot, changed most of my sims so they all have the new stuff. But then later I guess I got use to them and bored, so I get more new clothes and hairs, then I'm all giddy again and changed my sims to the new stuff. I never got rid of the previously downloaded stuff b/c I don't hate them or anything, I still like them but... maybe just a bit bored with them.

What's funny is that I dress everyone in the town, so it is like a fashion fad that comes and goes and my town looks like a town of clones.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 10:54 PM #10
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Quote:
Well, much like Ghost sdoj, I don't really have any unwanted stuff per say. I mean, I get new clothes and hair and I'm all and I use them a lot, changed most of my sims so they all have the new stuff. But then later I guess I got use to them and bored, so I get more new clothes and hairs, then I'm all giddy again and changed my sims to the new stuff. I never got rid of the previously downloaded stuff b/c I don't hate them or anything, I still like them but... maybe just a bit bored with them.

Let me try asking the same question another way.

My female clothing folder has 13.6 MB
My male clothing folder has 35.2 There is stuff in there I wasn't sure about, but have since discovered that it needs to go. When all it said and done, that folder will be around 25 MB or so. This to me is a little bit or not much.

Do you move the stuff that you're bored with or do you leave it in your game? If you leave it in game, how big is / are your clothing folder (s)?

Old 31st Jan 2019, 11:39 PM #11
nitromon
Original Poster

Mad Poster

7 Achievements

Quote:
Do you move the stuff that you're bored with or do you leave it in your game? If you leave it in game, how big is / are your clothing folder (s)?

Did you compress them? 25mb seems even smaller than what I have. Well, I don't know how much in the dccache, but in the mod folder... the whole clothing is 39.4 meg, but there really is only a handful of stuff in there, one of which was a 8.3mb for 1 outfit.

Which reminds me, do you guys recompress or reduce clothings and hair textures? Because I find some of these larger ones are due to the high-res textures the authors used. I mean, not everyone wants to play with HD mod etc... I have thought of extracting those textures and recompressing them smaller. This should reduce game's RAM usage and prevent error 12 issues.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 10:22 AM #12
Jathom95
Field Researcher

I tend to use a very limited amount of CC, mostly because I have very specific things I like. I'm also extremely meticulous when it comes to sorting, so I almost never have anything that I don't use often. What I run into instead of how much CC I have is spending way too long on a single Sim in CAS. I will literally spend upwards of like two hours just going through color combinations for a single outfit. It's a curse, I tell you.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 11:22 AM #13
Giga
Field Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMuto
I sometimes cull hairdos that I've added because I thought they looked nice, but then either didn't look neat in-game

I used to constantly get hair-fished all the time! Not kidding, once I found this blog that had a bunch of recolours from many different creators and I thought "wow, these hairs look amazing!" and I downloaded about 50. When I checked them in game, not one, not one single one looked good in my game. They had photoshopped the preview pics heavily. Most of my hairs are Anubis recolours and some of default replacements from club crimsyn and even then, some of the above creators' hairs don't suit my style. It is so hit and miss. And what is up with the obsession of making blond hair ashy? Have they not met real blonds? Blonds rarely tend to be naturally ashy.

Anyway, I have kind of given up trying to find new hair. I should learn how to recolour myself.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 1:22 PM #14
lakme
Instructor

Is there a way to mark which in-game CC corresponds to which .package file? Because that's why I never cull CC--I don't know which is which.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 1:23 PM #15
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Quote:
Did you compress them? 25mb seems even smaller than what I have. Well, I don't know how much in the dccache, but in the mod folder... the whole clothing is 39.4 meg, but there really is only a handful of stuff in there, one of which was a 8.3mb for 1 outfit.

Nah, it isn't worth it.

Male folder has 21 items in it. The largest file is 4,947 KB and it is one that needs to go.

Female folder has 9 items in it.

I don't compress any files. I tend to clean out custom content on a regular basis so compressing them would make doing that a royal pain in the butt. I've had plenty of other problems, but have never gotten a Error 12.

Old 1st Feb 2019, 1:42 PM #16
Ghost sdoj
Site Helper

7 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakme
Is there a way to mark which in-game CC corresponds to which .package file? Because that's why I never cull CC--I don't know which is which.

For CC there is a trash can icon in the catalog where you can delete it in-game. But you need to be certain you wanted to do that, because it does not end up in the recycle bin. A good policy would be to have a copy of your mods folder in a safe place (outside the game folder) before doing any deleting, just in case you deleted something you wanted to keep.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Old 1st Feb 2019, 2:35 PM #17
nitromon
Original Poster

Mad Poster

7 Achievements

Quote:
Male folder has 21 items in it. The largest file is 4,947 KB and it is one that needs to go.

Female folder has 9 items in it.

wow that's way fewer than mine! and i thought i have few CCs!

I have quite a few that is 8-10mb, I'm thinking of recompressing them since I still want to keep them. But there is one I'm going to delete, it is an "accessory" flannel shirt. But that's a rare find though... maybe I'll keep a copy just for people in the WCIF.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 5:15 PM #18
Leo5
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMixPls
I used to constantly get hair-fished all the time! Not kidding, once I found this blog that had a bunch of recolours from many different creators and I thought "wow, these hairs look amazing!" and I downloaded about 50. When I checked them in game, not one, not one single one looked good in my game. They had photoshopped the preview pics heavily. Most of my hairs are Anubis recolours and some of default replacements from club crimsyn and even then, some of the above creators' hairs don't suit my style. It is so hit and miss. And what is up with the obsession of making blond hair ashy? Have they not met real blonds? Blonds rarely tend to be naturally ashy.

Anyway, I have kind of given up trying to find new hair. I should learn how to recolour myself.

Same with me, I used to download a massive amount of cc hair, waste my time testing and retexturing the hair and use next to none, get tired of what I was using and delete it. I've gone off cc hair a lot, I have some Ade, a few Cazy and a couple of Newsea, most of the hair in my game is EA. I don't like it that cc hairline tends to sit lower on the Sims head than EA (which I feel is the correct distance) & a lot of hair just has too much hair or are styles where the Sim would have to sit hours in real life to get the look.

Problem with cc for me is that I like the dress or hairstyle but I'll never use it category. I like style, I want to use the content but I never will because it doesn't really fit into how I play the game & I really should delete it.

Section jump: