Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 7058
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 37 (Who?), Viewed: 6973 times.
Search this Thread
Old 17th Jan 2019, 2:43 AM #26
child_of_air
Original Poster

Instructor

9 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriMizutani
Ahhh. Well, good luck! I've managed to get two wagons through the host house. And we're starting on getting businesses to unlock things. Good too, because I've got families with 4 and 5 kids in a one room house and there's not a lot of room for beds. They tend to sleep in shifts.

But spring is coming, so a chance to make more produce boxes to go with the wood and household goods they've collected! I'm also going to have to put ponds on their lots, since they can't get badges on community lots.

Can't get badges on community lots? My sims do that just fine, actually- at least the fishing, and all the other badges at their businesses. In fact, they often camp out at the pond (I've set it up with a campsite) and will hang out there for a few days, cooking out, hunting, fishing - a little fishing trip if you will. I also put the harvestable trees on the lot and have them collect any leftover wood they might need. If you aren't getting fishing badges on community lots, I'm wondering if you have a hack conflict. Recently a particular Sun & Moon object was conflicting with getting badges. It was updated here:

https://sunmoon-starfactory.tumblr....-was-brought-to
Old 17th Jan 2019, 3:00 AM #27
LauriMizutani
Lab Assistant

Well, I did do quite a lot of fishing on that one lot and never got a bronze. I could be wrong. And you're right, that I do tend to get OFB badges on owned lots, I had forgotten that. It could be a conflict. As for what you linked, I saw that, I didn't download that particular one until after it was updated, but it could be another conflict. I'll check it out. And if I still have issues, I'll just build a pond on their home lot. :D
Old 18th Jan 2019, 12:50 PM #28
child_of_air
Original Poster

Instructor

9 Achievements

Quote:
Well, I did do quite a lot of fishing on that one lot and never got a bronze. I could be wrong. And you're right, that I do tend to get OFB badges on owned lots, I had forgotten that. It could be a conflict. As for what you linked, I saw that, I didn't download that particular one until after it was updated, but it could be another conflict. I'll check it out. And if I still have issues, I'll just build a pond on their home lot. :D

Of course, that works too! It's probably a lot more peaceful that way- I know my sims are always up to no good and causing mischief with their antics when left to their own devices. Can you imagine walking up to someone you don't know and "Joy Buzzing" them? LOL. Totally absurd. I <3 this game.

ETA: Updated 1/18/19- I have added a new building (Blacksmith) unlocking the Science career. Wagon #4 will contain up to 8 sims and 6 pets. I hope everyone is enjoying this
Last edited by child_of_air : 18th Jan 2019 at 1:20 PM.
Old 18th Jan 2019, 2:35 PM #29
LauriMizutani
Lab Assistant

Most of what I'm seeing indicates that you can improve your fishing on an "owned" community lot, but not on an unowned one unless you have a mod. That might be the issue.

Updates sound good. I'll have to look them over.

I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 1:04 AM #30
LauriMizutani
Lab Assistant

I do have a question. "[T]he farming area must be larger than the lot itself". By lot, I'm guessing you mean the house, but when you say farming area are you talking about individual farm plots, or do you just mean that there needs to be more outdoor area than indoor area? To me the latter makes more sense, but I wanted to be sure. Up till now I've been adding more individual plots so that I had both options covered, but I thought I'd get a clarification as I'm adding more (and bigger) homesteads.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 9:09 PM #31
child_of_air
Original Poster

Instructor

9 Achievements

Quote:
I do have a question. "[T]he farming area must be larger than the lot itself". By lot, I'm guessing you mean the house, but when you say farming area are you talking about individual farm plots, or do you just mean that there needs to be more outdoor area than indoor area? To me the latter makes more sense, but I wanted to be sure. Up till now I've been adding more individual plots so that I had both options covered, but I thought I'd get a clarification as I'm adding more (and bigger) homesteads.

Sorry, I should be more clear. Yes, it's the latter. The outdoor space needs to be bigger than the indoor space, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a farm. In real life a lot of these homesteaders just started with small cabins and one room houses, but their farming land was huge. So yeah, you cannot build a huge house with just a tiny space for farming. Here's a real-life example of a typical 19th century homestead:

Old 20th Jan 2019, 1:24 AM #32
LauriMizutani
Lab Assistant

Thanks for the answer. Yeah I figured that was why you did it. I grew up in a rural area, so I know exactly what you mean. Even when they built up their houses, it still was just a small fraction of the entire plot of land. In fact they usually tried to buy/homestead a lot more land than they could actually farm so they would have room to grow, and could have land to give more than one child when they died. Of course that part won't work as well with the sims. And honestly it didn't always work too well in real life when things like Dust Bowls hit.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 12:07 AM #33
Valneanne
Test Subject

I started this challenge yesterday since I wanted to start a new historical game but didn't want to do a prosperity which is what I usually default to.

I'm not strictly speaking playing in any of the eras you suggested, based on the garments my sims are wearing it looks like it's the regency era but I tend to mix and match (I like pretty historical CC but dislike limiting myself too much on the era) so there's a pretty good chance there'll be some Georgian and/or Victorian stuff eventually as well. I think "historical-esque" is probably the best term. I do kind of want to merge this and the By George! challenge together eventually once my settlement is more... well, settled.

Anyhow, I have played for a little bit now, though it took my sims ages to get around to actually settling down, but on the flipside they did get a chance to harvest and gain some skills in the meantime.

Right now I'm just about to move two families into my first two homesteads. The first family only has enough to build the basic homestead, but the second one actually has enough to go for the one above that. I actually have one male sim that is only missing some produce and some homewares to be able to get the top level house, but he's a knowledge sim that only seemed to notice sims of the opposite sex the last day I played just now.

My founder is married though, and expecting his first child so I'm really happy that four of the sims in the house are leaving, but I know I'll have more sims soon once wagon two arrives so that will keep me preoccupied.

But before any of that can happen I have to actually build the two homesteads my sims are moving into, make wagon two sims and then look into what else I'll be doing
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 9:04 PM #34
child_of_air
Original Poster

Instructor

9 Achievements

Glad you are enjoying the challenge. Part of the challenge is not to move sims out before they meet all requirements. I think that's pretty important, because otherwise- what's the point of playing the challenge? Also, I recommend ARC, if you want your sim to have some sort of sexuality beyond the one that EAxis gave our sims. That's of course up to you, but I find that it helps matters such as the one you mentioned. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valneanne
I started this challenge yesterday since I wanted to start a new historical game but didn't want to do a prosperity which is what I usually default to.

I'm not strictly speaking playing in any of the eras you suggested, based on the garments my sims are wearing it looks like it's the regency era but I tend to mix and match (I like pretty historical CC but dislike limiting myself too much on the era) so there's a pretty good chance there'll be some Georgian and/or Victorian stuff eventually as well. I think "historical-esque" is probably the best term. I do kind of want to merge this and the By George! challenge together eventually once my settlement is more... well, settled.

Anyhow, I have played for a little bit now, though it took my sims ages to get around to actually settling down, but on the flipside they did get a chance to harvest and gain some skills in the meantime.

Right now I'm just about to move two families into my first two homesteads. The first family only has enough to build the basic homestead, but the second one actually has enough to go for the one above that. I actually have one male sim that is only missing some produce and some homewares to be able to get the top level house, but he's a knowledge sim that only seemed to notice sims of the opposite sex the last day I played just now.

My founder is married though, and expecting his first child so I'm really happy that four of the sims in the house are leaving, but I know I'll have more sims soon once wagon two arrives so that will keep me preoccupied.

But before any of that can happen I have to actually build the two homesteads my sims are moving into, make wagon two sims and then look into what else I'll be doing
Old 27th Jan 2019, 10:04 PM #35
child_of_air
Original Poster

Instructor

9 Achievements

I have updated the challenge and changed the numbers around a bit. This means you don't have to have as many homesteads to complete the challenge, and your third wagon will come sooner. I also clarified what hacks and aspiration rewards are allowed, and what is not allowed. Cheers!
Old 30th Jan 2019, 2:10 AM #36
XiaXiang001
Forum Resident

Thanks for the updates!

"If it's in you, it's got to come out."
Simblr
Old 30th Jan 2019, 7:26 PM #37
Tleilaxu3
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by child_of_air
Can't get badges on community lots? My sims do that just fine, actually- at least the fishing, and all the other badges at their businesses. In fact, they often camp out at the pond (I've set it up with a campsite) and will hang out there for a few days, cooking out, hunting, fishing - a little fishing trip if you will. I also put the harvestable trees on the lot and have them collect any leftover wood they might need. If you aren't getting fishing badges on community lots, I'm wondering if you have a hack conflict. Recently a particular Sun & Moon object was conflicting with getting badges. It was updated here:

https://sunmoon-starfactory.tumblr....-was-brought-to

I noticed at the Sun Moon Star Factory site that they have various fires and fire places ; I currently have Carrigon's forever burning fire place and Sunnis' invisible fire place with and without logs ---- do any of them conflict with each other ?
Tia.

" Inama Nushif "
Old 30th Jan 2019, 8:30 PM #38
child_of_air
Original Poster

Instructor

9 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleilaxu3
I noticed at the Sun Moon Star Factory site that they have various fires and fire places ; I currently have Carrigon's forever burning fire place and Sunnis' invisible fire place with and without logs ---- do any of them conflict with each other ?
Tia.

Carrigon's hack only works on Maxis fireplaces, and does not work on any of the Sun & Moon ones. I also have that hack and they work fine together. Check out the set and everything that is included, and you'll see what I mean.

Section jump: