Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 4028
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 2755 times.
Search this Thread
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 2:21 PM DefaultCAW/Pier #1
arisvamp
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34


Im trying to put a pier in my world and i want your opinions is it better to make it from caw for example to sculp the area and then put the lot to just add the docks or to sculp the ground directly on the lot?

P.s: every tutorial and advices for pier it would be helpful!!!
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  boats-at-the-san-francisco-pier-39-docks-5d26009-wingsdomain-art-and-photography.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  178.8 KB  
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 3:50 PM #2
Volvenom
dodgy builder

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,205
Thanks: 6209 in 80 Posts
17 Achievements

View My Journal


I guess your options here is tied to how you would like it to work. If you want it to be just decorative, or if you want to make it to work as a dock where boats will tie or moat ... I know it's a word for it, but now I don't remember.

Another thing is the way you ask your questions. You can't expect us to tell you how to do it. I asked that kind of questions too in the beginning. Ts3 has many options, and you just have to take the time to figure out how your world will work. You have to look at lists of functons, zonings, rabbitholes and lots. Do you want a heavy world or a light one? How many lots you want, and the amount of calculations the game has to do. If ypu have 150 lots, some of them will be community lots, some will be RH.

You should think about what kind of a place it is. Is it a vacation world by the sea, a farming world, a surfing spot, will you be focusing on entertainment?

Ts3 has so many options, and I'm talking too much. To sum it up. Is this going to be one important lot to make people download your world? Are you planning on joining the competition, or is it just for your own use?

Do you have IP, Island Paradise exp?
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 3:53 PM #3
daisylee
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,794


I am a tad curious about this as I added boats on community lots in a world I am doing and they were deleted. But Overwatch may have done this? I have a world that I installed with a community lot and it has boats there But I have not played that world overnight to see if OW would clean them? It is hard to do anything that looks like a marina in 3. I have just a pier to my one world and have the Leroy 2 mast sailboats in the water in the bay. I have moored those boats at the pier in another world. Nilxis may have some boats moored in one of his worlds? I am not quite sure how this is done. Maybe a huge lot is best and will work if OW is not used?

edit: Volvenom we are typing at the same time again and you beat me again! LOL
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:01 PM #4
arisvamp
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34


Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
I guess your options here is tied to how you would like it to work. If you want it to be just decorative, or if you want to make it to work as a dock where boats will tie or moat ... I know it's a word for it, but now I don't remember.

Another thing is the way you ask your questions. You can't expect us to tell you how to do it. I asked that kind of questions too in the beginning. Ts3 has many options, and you just have to take the time to figure out how your world will work. You have to look at lists of functons, zonings, rabbitholes and lots. Do you want a heavy world or a light one? How many lots you want, and the amount of calculations the game has to do. If ypu have 150 lots, some of them will be community lots, some will be RH.

You should think about what kind of a place it is. Is it a vacation world by the sea, a farming world, a surfing spot, will you be focusing on entertainment?

Ts3 has so many options, and I'm talking too much. To sum it up. Is this going to be one important lot to make people download your world? Are you planning on joining the competition, or is it just for your own use?

Do you have IP, Island Paradise exp?


You are right!!
I want to share my world of course after i finish it but i dont want to be at the end and realize that i have to make them all from the start just to do what i want, it will be a world like sunset vallley etc etc and yes i have IP pack!!!
Still comfused on how im gonna make a port like in the picture i mean to sculp the terrain from the lot or from caw...
Before I ask something im always searching for it but again its better to ask someone who already know or have tryied it...
It will be a just a port with boats and of course it will be a playble lot thats why im not sure what to do....
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:02 PM #5
Volvenom
dodgy builder

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,205
Thanks: 6209 in 80 Posts
17 Achievements

View My Journal


I had a marina in Stranda, and had everything from scooters to ... what else I could find. It didn't work that much, but you have the houseboat option, and you can make more tiny lots with a little pier each perhaps.

The marina I had in Stranda with lots of boats, just stayed there through all my testing. I don't think the NPC or other residents used them much.

daisylee

Edit: if you want a visitors port lot, it will probably only be used by the active family. If there are any available mourning poles, you will probably only have to be filled up by yourself.

Others will have to confirm this, I'm not totally sure. I think it works like this, but maybe not.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:15 PM #6
arisvamp
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34


Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
I had a marina in Stranda, and had everything from scooters to ... what else I could find. It didn't work that much, but you have the houseboat option, and you can make more tiny lots with a little pier each perhaps.

The marina I had in Stranda with lots of boats, just stayed there through all my testing. I don't think the NPC or other residents used them much.

daisylee

Edit: if you want a visitors port lot, it will probably only be used by the active family. If there are any available mourning poles, you will probably only have to be filled up by yourself.

Others will have to confirm this, I'm not totally sure. I think it works like this, but maybe not.


Hmm I understand , Thank you very much all of you guys you are always helping me
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:30 PM #7
Norn
Scholar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 1995 in 21 Posts
18 Achievements


There are two options for usable boats and both would require to be on a lot. So I'd recommend to do the detail sculpting on the lot. Then you use the stilted pier foundation tool for the, well, piers. They are not sculpted terrain. There are mooring posts in the Vehicle category you would use as "parking spaces" for the small boats. Mind, for sims to actually use them they need some beach part, i.e. where the ground allows to enter the ocean. That's EA: no, you can't get off the pier into the boat, you can only get aboard from ground level. Well. Another thing: when you use the pier foundation tool, start on the ocean end, not on land. This way you will get the correct height.

The large boats, houseboats, are an entirely different thing - there can be only one per lot and they count as residental lots, not as community lots. So for the look you want the smaller boats with a pier foundation would be a better choice.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:42 PM #8
Volvenom
dodgy builder

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,205
Thanks: 6209 in 80 Posts
17 Achievements

View My Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
There are two options for usable boats and both would require to be on a lot. So I'd recommend to do the detail sculpting on the lot. Then you use the stilted pier foundation tool for the, well, piers. They are not sculpted terrain. There are mooring posts in the Vehicle category you would use as "parking spaces" for the small boats. Mind, for sims to actually use them they need some beach part, i.e. where the ground allows to enter the ocean. That's EA: no, you can't get off the pier into the boat, you can only get aboard from ground level. Well. Another thing: when you use the pier foundation tool, start on the ocean end, not on land. This way you will get the correct height.

The large boats, houseboats, are an entirely different thing - there can be only one per lot and they count as residental lots, not as community lots. So for the look you want the smaller boats with a pier foundation would be a better choice.


Ok, so I guess a pier of stones can be achieved with groundpaint and then you put the poles "in the middle of" the stones. That might be a way to get the pier you want.

Actually I forgot that poles only can be used on ground. I have probably heard it before, but the amount of detail in this game can be incredible sometimes.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:49 PM #9
arisvamp
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34


Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
There are two options for usable boats and both would require to be on a lot. So I'd recommend to do the detail sculpting on the lot. Then you use the stilted pier foundation tool for the, well, piers. They are not sculpted terrain. There are mooring posts in the Vehicle category you would use as "parking spaces" for the small boats. Mind, for sims to actually use them they need some beach part, i.e. where the ground allows to enter the ocean. That's EA: no, you can't get off the pier into the boat, you can only get aboard from ground level. Well. Another thing: when you use the pier foundation tool, start on the ocean end, not on land. This way you will get the correct height.

The large boats, houseboats, are an entirely different thing - there can be only one per lot and they count as residental lots, not as community lots. So for the look you want the smaller boats with a pier foundation would be a better choice.



Thank you that was helpful too!!!!!
It might sound funny but now I have problem with the sea level at the beach and the pier , if I deside the sea height based on a beach it will be too low for my pier and if i choose the height of the sea based on pier it hides my beach, whatever I will find a way thank you anyway
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 7:03 PM #10
Norn
Scholar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 1995 in 21 Posts
18 Achievements


Just to make it more clear: the mooring posts are placed in the water. They really work like parking spaces but on water. But Sims won't be able to actually use a boat "parked" there if there is no flat ground for the sims to access the water plane on the boat.

You can use the terrain tool under water, too (or do this rough work in CAW and add the lot afterwards). Only a small part of the coast line needs to be a softer slope. The water under the piers can be deeper.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 9:02 PM #11
Volvenom
dodgy builder

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,205
Thanks: 6209 in 80 Posts
17 Achievements

View My Journal


If you want houseboats you have to make sure the height of the water is just below the top of Arc de Triomphe: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=518693

The ports you will make from sealevel onto land, so that's not the problem.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 10:58 PM #12
SimmyRN
Scholar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,071
Thanks: 25897 in 59 Posts
20 Achievements


Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that houseboats can be coded as Community Lots. It's somewhat limited what they'd work well for, though. Would probably make a good library, art gallery, bar, gym, etc. If a junk pile would fit, it would be pretty cool to have a "junkyard" boat. I've never made a Community houseboat, though, so I can't say for sure.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 12:19 AM #13
daisylee
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,794


Yes, houseboats can be community lots. I have done many. And they are fun to rent for parties and probably weddings too? I also have one that is done riverboat style that is a dance club.

In the world I am looking at now I did not make the person used the foundation and was able to add the mooring hitches to it and place boats. Let me play that world overnight and see if overwatch removes them.

Suggestion: per your other thread, post some pics of what you have done so far so we can see what you have done so far and how far along you are. I think you need to solve the camera issue before worrying about how to do a marina. (?)
Old 24th Aug 2018, 7:00 AM #14
Norn
Scholar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 1995 in 21 Posts
18 Achievements


Oh, great to know! Will try that one day.

daisylee, Overwatch shouldn't remove any boats. If you place a lot with small boats in CAW, they often fly high in the sky. You would have to enter the lot in EIG, grab and release them for them to snap to their mooring posts again.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 1:14 PM #15
Volvenom
dodgy builder

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,205
Thanks: 6209 in 80 Posts
17 Achievements

View My Journal


I was working on a marina type site in Stranda and had some very odd bugs happening. I can't find it now. I don't know if I wrote anything about it. I ended up making it a cafe and needed the zoning to run a bar. I had tons of bars around my world. Did the bug have something to do with RH similar looking functionality. I think it did, I remember something about walls and inside of the cafe not being visible. I just had to send my sim in and couldn't control them or something.

It was a houseboat lot.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 5:41 PM #16
daisylee
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,794


Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
Oh, great to know! Will try that one day.

daisylee, Overwatch shouldn't remove any boats. If you place a lot with small boats in CAW, they often fly high in the sky. You would have to enter the lot in EIG, grab and release them for them to snap to their mooring posts again.


I had to do that on my Sims' home lot. Will check the community lots and see if that is the case. Thanks!
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.