Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1761
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 17 (Who?), Viewed: 10331 times.
Search this Thread
Old 9th Jul 2016, 2:09 PM Non-Sims mesh designs! #1
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Hi!

I was just wondering if it was possible to convert other objects/meshes/character designs from another game into the Sims 3?

There's this Batman skin that's really cool and I want to try and repurpose it for TS3 - it was basically ripped from one of the Arkham games and I heard somewhere that it's possible to do it, but how?

The downloaded file has a .mesh extension - this is what I'm talking about: http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/batman-23485.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
Old 9th Jul 2016, 5:02 PM #2
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Yep! I've done it a lot! Though, one issue with this model, if you would use it, your sims will look really muscled. You can, however, try to use the texture. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you want though.
Old 9th Jul 2016, 5:22 PM #3
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
Yep! I've done it a lot! Though, one issue with this model, if you would use it, your sims will look really muscled. You can, however, try to use the texture. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you want though.


haha not a problem with me

And btw... You've helped me once before, it's so cool coming back here knowing there are helpful folks like you.

One more question - can I use the WHOLE thing? The cowl and cape included?
Old 9th Jul 2016, 7:09 PM #4
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Such a small world, isn't it? XD I almost wanted to link you to that one post I helped you out with.

Besides the shoes, yep you can! You only have to clone a full body and you're okay. But if you are planning on publish it, I can tell a lot of people would appreciate it to separate the cape.
Old 9th Jul 2016, 7:41 PM #5
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
Such a small world, isn't it? XD I almost wanted to link you to that one post I helped you out with.

Besides the shoes, yep you can! You only have to clone a full body and you're okay. But if you are planning on publish it, I can tell a lot of people would appreciate it to separate the cape.


Awesome!

I am using one of your DA:I tutorials to help me, so is that the right one? Or can I use something else as a reference?

If I run into problems I'll definitely let you know!

Thanks so much!
Old 9th Jul 2016, 8:33 PM #6
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Sure you can use that one as a reference! It's pretty much the same, except for the exporting part (because I use DAImod maker and most game uses a different extractor).
Old 10th Jul 2016, 11:59 AM #7
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Okay first problem

Going by your video - I'm at the 1:23 mark - you say to delete the LOD's, yet I don't see any on my little preview bar.

I used the Batman.obj file because it's the only one that has the full suit, everything else is his gadget.

Here are some pictures:



Old 10th Jul 2016, 12:47 PM #8
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Yeah that part is a bit different from XNalara. So usually extractors will export the LODS (level of details) with the actual mesh. Xnalara model doesn't have that because it's already done for you.
Old 10th Jul 2016, 1:08 PM #9
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
Yeah that part is a bit different from XNalara. So usually extractors will export the LODS (level of details) with the actual mesh. Xnalara model doesn't have that because it's already done for you.


Aha I see... Is the process different now?

Have I skipped a few steps? :D
Old 10th Jul 2016, 3:18 PM #10
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Also, not to bombard you like this... What about the mouth area? Will I be able to remove that?

Old 10th Jul 2016, 7:19 PM #11
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Usually models don't share any heads textures like this one, but since this is a model from an older game it's more common to be there. But you can erase the mouth area in Photoshop or Gimp. Just make sure it fits the sim's face.

But the progress is all the same when you're at the point of adding the sims 3 body and changing the arms position, etc.
Also! just in case you want to know, you can delete the body by clicking on it, and press 'delete' or 'x' on your keyboard. ^-^
Old 10th Jul 2016, 7:39 PM #12
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
Usually models don't share any heads textures like this one, but since this is a model from an older game it's more common to be there. But you can erase the mouth area in Photoshop or Gimp. Just make sure it fits the sim's face.

But the progress is all the same when you're at the point of adding the sims 3 body and changing the arms position, etc.
Also! just in case you want to know, you can delete the body by clicking on it, and press 'delete' or 'x' on your keyboard. ^-^


Going to try and pull an all-nighter just to finish it Will send you some progress pics, thanks again!
Old 10th Jul 2016, 8:10 PM #13
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Would be nice to see how the entire progress will be going! ^-^ Just a small tip, you don't have to position the model's arms, legs, etc too precisely, if it looks okay and great enough to make people see it's a sims 3 body, you're fine!
Old 12th Jul 2016, 4:53 PM #14
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
Would be nice to see how the entire progress will be going! ^-^ Just a small tip, you don't have to position the model's arms, legs, etc too precisely, if it looks okay and great enough to make people see it's a sims 3 body, you're fine!


https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmcsjbwkh...Rec001.avi?dl=0

This is where I'm at... suffice it to say, not to far Sorry for the lateness of this post, I was busy with work yesterday.

Okay I want to reposition the body correctly, but how do I pick sections of the body - with B? I'm using your video as reference.

Thanks!
Old 12th Jul 2016, 7:14 PM #15
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


Well, I don't know if you use one of the latest Blender versions? They come with a new shortcut button 'L'. if you see these blue lines, you can actually see they are... well I guess... linked. So in edit mode you could use the sortcut 'L' on your keyboard and make sure you also select the vertices around the blue lines because these are usually split and could cause gaps if you start rotating it.

But yep you select with B, rotate with 'r' scale with 's' and I usually work a lot with XYZ to keep it straight and clean looking. (like 'r'+x to rotate it properly and on a 90 degree if needed).
Old 18th Jul 2016, 8:31 AM #16
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
Well, I don't know if you use one of the latest Blender versions? They come with a new shortcut button 'L'. if you see these blue lines, you can actually see they are... well I guess... linked. So in edit mode you could use the sortcut 'L' on your keyboard and make sure you also select the vertices around the blue lines because these are usually split and could cause gaps if you start rotating it.

But yep you select with B, rotate with 'r' scale with 's' and I usually work a lot with XYZ to keep it straight and clean looking. (like 'r'+x to rotate it properly and on a 90 degree if needed).


Okay I'm back.

So yeah, it's not working

I still can't move the arms, I tried googling some solutions but I'm not getting the right answers

Blender also keeps glitching out, the object keeps dissapearing. I tried reinstalling it, but it keeps doing it from time to time. I've been at this for four days now and I can't get anywhere.
Old 18th Jul 2016, 11:32 AM #17
Lyralei
Puffin McMuffin



Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 1100 in 11 Posts
18 Achievements


OH I fourgot to tell that you have to make sure you are in EDIT mode and not in OBJECT mode. in edit mode you can select everything with B.

My friend had this issue with Blender not showing it's textures correctly and in the end it was because she had a low-end computer. But in the picture you sent here, it looks like it's all transparent. Does it glitch when you switch from 'texture' to 'solid'? And if you can, give me info on what graphics card you have?
Old 19th Jul 2016, 3:51 PM #18
SlovBoy
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplumbbob
OH I fourgot to tell that you have to make sure you are in EDIT mode and not in OBJECT mode. in edit mode you can select everything with B.

My friend had this issue with Blender not showing it's textures correctly and in the end it was because she had a low-end computer. But in the picture you sent here, it looks like it's all transparent. Does it glitch when you switch from 'texture' to 'solid'? And if you can, give me info on what graphics card you have?


Oh my God, thank you!

I'll try it when I get home!

It's AMD Radeon HD 6950!
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.