Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:12 PM
Default Premade buildings snapping to middle on large lots :(
ive only had the game for 2 days, but ive made a house that looks godly but im running out of space for any expansion. ive decided to relocate to a larger plot of land (i think its the biggest - $14K) my house was built on a reletavley small plot of land (its hugging the neighbours fence, Take that!) the method im useing might / might not work or may not be the best way of going about doing it.

first enter the edit town mode.
secondly, copy the house and all of its contents to the library.
third, place the peoples on an empty plot of land.
Fourth, evict the previous family and replace it with the new.

however, the house snaps into the centre of the plot like this (it dosn't work so you'll have to immagine that is dose :o).

Current-
╔╗
╚╝
New-
╔═══╗
║ ║
║ ║
║ ║
╚═══╝
Whats happening (even after rotation)-
╔═══╗
║ ╔╗ ║
║ ╚╝ ║
║ ║
╚═══╝
What should be happening (atleast to my stardards and commen sense)-
╔═══╗
║ ║
║ ║
╠╗ ║
╚╩══╝

aulthough the last figure should be happening its not and im yet to find a soloution of shift the house and all its cotents down or atleast a way to snap the house to the road.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:33 PM
dont know how to help you, but a little word of advise, with the asciI diagrams all but one space on a line will disapear, so fill in the blank spaces with periods.
Site Helper
#3 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 5:37 PM
Yes, this is a very frustrating "feature" of TS3. It looks like they tried to add the LotExpander functionality to the game, but they didn't include most of the features. They are missing the ability to specify where you want the lot expanded (front / back, left / right).

I have only one suggestion at this time:
Use the in-game wall-movement tool to move your entire house, room by room, to the correct location.

Note that this solution did not work for me when I tried it, since the game decided to disable the ability to move many of walls for my lot. I just gave up in complete frustration.

Long-term, the solutions are:
- bug EA until they fix it
- wait for some modder to reimplement the TS3LotExpander.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:04 PM
Well since you can rotate it using arrows at placement time, I have no idea why they didn't also offer side-side up-down arrows to move it across. Seems like an irritatingly arbitrary omission.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:14 PM
I have absolutely no clue how this really works since I don't have the game installed yet -- but here's an idea that might be useful:

If you have, say, a house on a 2x3 lot and want to move it onto a 5x3 all the way to the left -- could you try to move it to a 3x3 first, then from there to a 4x3, then to the final one? I imagine, as long as there's *some* sort of grid involved (but I don't know whether that's the case), you might be able to nudge it over to the side that way ..

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:48 PM
I don't think so Plasticbox, because each successive lot will be centralised on the next size up so you'd still end up central.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:46 AM
The wall movement tool is really picky. It won't touch a wall that has diagonal walls touching it, furniture makes it iffy, as well as anything that can interfere. The roof usually stays the same anyway so a complete rebuild is less bothersome imo.
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 3:09 PM
Yeah I had this same problem with even maxis bin houses, its very noticeable when the driveway is placed several grid squares into the yard and looks pretty stupid. In the past maxis has been known to read these forums, so since we are giving them a to do list: a rotate 180 degrees button when placing lots would certainly be handy too, I don't know about you guys but it takes a minute or so on my machine to rotate a lot, and it shouldnt take a pc any more time to rotate 180 degrees vs 90.
Site Helper
#9 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Illanair
The wall movement tool is really picky. It won't touch a wall that has diagonal walls touching it, furniture makes it iffy, as well as anything that can interfere. The roof usually stays the same anyway so a complete rebuild is less bothersome imo.
This was my conclusion as well... rebuilding from scratch is probably the only option in a number of cases... very frustrating.
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:04 AM
The move wall addition is utterly useless... It complicates things since the things it "messes up" isn't predictable... Sometimes it deletes a wall, sometimes it drags all objects with it, sometimes it doesn't drag things on walls etc... I've rebuilt a few houses from this, boy what a pain
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 7:43 AM
its was a very unhappy experience for me, it wouldn't take much effort for EA to fix this but i will bug them till it is =]