Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2015 at 2:41 PM
Default Needing CC program suggestions.
Okay, so I've been in the planning stages for my first serious attempt at world building for a few weeks now. I've finally managed to start the rendering process and have the downtown area lots and roads drawn. While thinking about the various subdivisions and the additional functions that will go into Bramble Wood to help define it and make it more fun to explore, I realized that there were certain things that I couldn't do.. properly without refacing various objects. For instance, treasure chests and tomb decor would need to be repainted to look like mine shafts from the US Civil War. The water tower needs repainting. Wall hangings will need new images. And the list goes on.

I've played around with TSRW and found that i hate it. I can't get ANYTHING asking me to upload everything I do even when I have no idea if it will actually work, and maybe I don't WANT to share my creation with others. At least not til I've had time to make it look worth sharing. I see all kinds of acronyms for other programs and mods. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out which thingamajiger I need for what function. Therefore I'm going to play the role of the newb that I am and ask for help. Can someone or multiple someones recommend programs for doing this stuff? don't forget to give a little blurb about what they actually do. When I was looking around the site for stickies that might explain some of this, I found nothing but program acronyms and nothing short and simple to tell me what the heck I'm suppose to do with them. @_@

Also, are there any recommendations for a place where I can create a build log where I can actually get critique as I go? I know there's Tumblr and all that but I do want to put stuff up on my website (that I'm too lazy to ever use) when I'm just starting out with a first project and have nothing else to show. Except some humorous glitch screencaps involving my Tony Stark sim wearing hilarious footwear while in the shower. To be honest, I haven't figured out how to take all those other pose screenies yet. But that's a different issues for a different time and forum section.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 9th May 2015 at 5:38 PM
If you're talking about S3PE and S3OC if can be a bit hard to find these days. I found this for you: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sims3tools/

When I download that myself I only get s3pe, but it says S3OC and dds and all those things should be included. I don't really know if they have just squashed it together or something. It's from 2014, so fairly recent when it comes to caw. Peter L Jones is the owner of that account and that's the right man, so I'm assuing it's the right thing.

When it comes to the tutorials on how to use it, they can be found anywhere on the internet these days, but they should still excist here on mts, otherwise just google for whatever you're looking for at the moment. S3PE is the program used for altering files in world building, TSRW isn't much help on that.

When it comes to feedback on your world project you shuld move over to the CFF forum: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=612
You can find some help along the way there as well. This caw forum your posting in has lots of tutorials and resources as well. Good luck on your project.

Don't forget that if you go along change tons of things on your world, take some time on finding out what's allowed to use first. Like here on mts I have had threads stopped because of copyright claims, but then others do almost the same thing as me. It's usually connected to things you make clones of, but it turns out people have to buy them from EA and then they can have yours. Just a bit of a warning, it's a forest out there, be careful
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2015 at 5:23 AM
*facepalm* I don't mean to offend in anyway, but the first bit of that message came across as jibberish. That's why I asked for the programs to come with a little blurb that tells me what they're for. @_@ Like you did with S3PE. Shorthand is rather non-helpful for newb players/creators.

The SourceForge link is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. It lists the utilities as well as telling what each is used for.

The Creator Feedback Forum has been noted for future use in journaling the progress of Bramble Wood.

Yes, I am quite aware that everything I alter has to be part of the base game and expansion packs that I plan to include. It's just like constructing buildings with parts filtered down to items found in those same object groups. I learned that one quickly when I tried to play with stuff listed on the Sims 3 Exchange. As far as using other people's stuff, it's best to leave them out and make a list for people to go find and include the additional cc for themselves when it's not your own. Forests were literally my playground growing up. Forests that also happen to be pastures full of cattle and plenty of wild critters teach you common sense the hard way. Like how it's not so much the bull so much as his harem of WIVES that you have to be concerned about. :P